• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels acquire Randal Grichuk and CJ Cron for Jake Madden and Mason Albright (option Cabbage, DFA Padlo, place Ward on 60-day IL)

mmc

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I doubt he would ever publicly say that, but it's easy to assume that is likely a goal of his.  He is a once-in-a-generation (or lifetime?) talent that you just never see in this game.  It is hard enough to be one of the few who can be a good MLB hitter, but one who can be both a star hitter AND a star pitcher?  It just never happens.  And so given that, it's fairly easy to assume that he would want to be remembered as one of the greatest ever.

Let's hope you and Turbofan are correct. If you are then Ohtani would be more motivated by situation and how he relates to his team and its FO than just how much money he can rake in. He's really in a great situation with the Angels because he'll have Trout hitting behind him and giving him protection in the lineup. And the Angels also let him call his own pitches so there's that also.

I know some have disparaged the idea of giving him one or more opt-outs in his contract but I'm of the opinion that if Arte and Perry can figure out something that'll work for both parties then this might just be the deal clincher. What do you think about opt-out clauses for Ohtani's contract?

~ArkyAngelsFan~

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

i think with ward done for the year, this was a necessary move. i'd rather have these two, who are known and experienced MLBers instead of cabbage and whoever else. they're not ideal, but they're a step or two over our other options and we know what we're getting for this short-term solution.

on to atlanta.

Yep.  Cabbage will be optioned and he’ll still be an option as needed, too.  It’s better to have him as depth, though, than as a guy you are counting on to perform daily for the rest of the year.

This move, while not exciting, definitely improved the fringes of the roster.  And just think - if Perry didn’t make a move, and then Cabbage got hurt, who would have been our next option?

What am I missing here?  We had the 29th ranked farm system in the majors before these deadline trades were made.  So those of you worrying about decimating it, well was already a mess.  There is no way the farm can help in light of the significant injury to Ward, or to bridge the gap in any other way this year.  Perry and Arte are going for the best they can squeeze out of major league talent this year.  You have to make a move like the Grichuk/Cron deal because there is no way to get help internally, the near term ugly schedule will destroy you for sure otherwise.  I hope they get another reliever before this is done.

40 minutes ago, TurboFan said:

How about a forth scenario? I know many here think that if the Angels fail to make the playoffs, we lose Ohtani to free agency. I don’t think that is a foregone conclusion. Hear me out. While that might be a logical and correct conclusion for most any shining star, I don’t think Ohtani is just any shining star. He is probably not motivated by top dollar like many we have seen. More than top dollar he wants to play out his career with a team that will partner with him to achieve his true motivation - to be known as the greatest player to ever play the game. The Angels have bent over backwards to be that partner to the point he calls almost all of his own shots on how he is used. I suspect he appreciates that. He knows that some teams will not be so accommodating. Sure the objective of the display of all-in moves made in the last week are for the objective of making the playoffs now, but I suspect that possibly even more than that it is to retain Ohtani in any case, and also demonstrate to Trout that the Angels are dead serious about getting him deep into the postseason as Arte has promised Trout he would try his best to do. So I believe (perhaps a minority opinion) that Ohtani will possibly extend even if the Angels miss the playoffs, as long as Ohtani is impressed by the management’s effort and believes next year will be better (player health being better). I think the Angels should offer Ohtani a high annual salary deal with an opt-out option for him each and every year. In other words, we went all-in balls to the wall in 2023, and we commit to it again in 2024, etc. and if we don’t keep our promise, we won’t hold you here if you would rather leave.  The Angels must say “if we go down, we are going down fighting for all our worth.” Whether they succeed or fail at making playoffs, in this scenario with Ohtani and Trout, the Angels cannot afford to approach it in reserved fashion. And they are not thus far.

Easy Turbo.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I thought this was a joke at first.

Grichuk is having a flukey season, probably Coors-induced. His true talent level is 2021-22, about .250/.290/.420...in other words, replacement level. Cron is Cron. Both hack and are basically in the Renfroe/Moustakas/Drury school of hitting. We must have the league record for low average, low walk, some pop guys.

I’m not a huge fan of the trade, but you can’t look at it in a vacuum. Grichuk and Cron are undoubtedly upgrades over Padlo and Cabbage who are well below replacement level. That said, I’m not confident that we can make up 4 games in two months given our schedule. It’s a hail mary..

51 minutes ago, TurboFan said:

How about a forth scenario? I know many here think that if the Angels fail to make the playoffs, we lose Ohtani to free agency. I don’t think that is a foregone conclusion. Hear me out. While that might be a logical and correct conclusion for most any shining star, I don’t think Ohtani is just any shining star. He is probably not motivated by top dollar like many we have seen. More than top dollar he wants to play out his career with a team that will partner with him to achieve his true motivation - to be known as the greatest player to ever play the game. The Angels have bent over backwards to be that partner to the point he calls almost all of his own shots on how he is used. I suspect he appreciates that. He knows that some teams will not be so accommodating. Sure the objective of the display of all-in moves made in the last week are for the objective of making the playoffs now, but I suspect that possibly even more than that it is to retain Ohtani in any case, and also demonstrate to Trout that the Angels are dead serious about getting him deep into the postseason as Arte has promised Trout he would try his best to do. So I believe (perhaps a minority opinion) that Ohtani will possibly extend even if the Angels miss the playoffs, as long as Ohtani is impressed by the management’s effort and believes next year will be better (player health being better). I think the Angels should offer Ohtani a high annual salary deal with an opt-out option for him each and every year. In other words, we went all-in balls to the wall in 2023, and we commit to it again in 2024, etc. and if we don’t keep our promise, we won’t hold you here if you would rather leave.  The Angels must say “if we go down, we are going down fighting for all our worth.” Whether they succeed or fail at making playoffs, in this scenario with Ohtani and Trout, the Angels cannot afford to approach it in reserved fashion. And they are not thus far.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

20 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yep.  Cabbage will be optioned and he’ll still be an option as needed, too.  It’s better to have him as depth, though, than as a guy you are counting on to perform daily for the rest of the year.

This move, while not exciting, definitely improved the fringes of the roster.  And just think - if Perry didn’t make a move, and then Cabbage got hurt, who would have been our next option?

Phillips

This creates a nice platoon for Moniak/Grichuk and Moustakas/Cron when(if) Trout(Rendon) are healthy

Moniak's OPS vs RHP 1.049 (.419 vs RHP)

Grichuk's OPS vs LHP 1.066 (.744 vs LHP)

Moustakas' OPS vs RHP .817 (.662 vs LHP)

Cron's OPS vs LHP/RHP are basically the same this season but over his career he has been slightly better versus LHP .815 than versus RHP .785

That's actually the case with Rengifo and Drury as well

Drury's OPS vs RHP .868 (.678 vs LHP)

Rengifo's OPS vs LHP .900 (.607 vs RHP)

When healthy this creates a deep lineup versus both right and left handed pitchers

vs. RHP something like

LF Moniak (1.049)

DH Ohtani (1.146)

CF Trout (.902)

2B Drury (.868)

1B Moustakas (.817)

RF Renfroe (.775)

C Thaiss (.716)

SS Neto (.700)

With either Rendon slotting into the middle of the lineup or Rengifo/Escobar towards the bottom

vs. LHP something like

SS Neto (.957)

DH Ohtani (.919)

CF Trout (.759)

LF Grichuk (1.066)

2B/3B Rengifo (.900)

1B Cron (.763)

RF Renfroe (.725)

C Wallach (.915)

With either Rendon slotting into the middle of the lineup. Or Drury going in front of Cron

Playoff teams have deep lineups that can hit RHP and LHP this gives the Angels a deep lineup versus both.

I'd love to see Alex Curry (well, yeah) or whoever her replacement is,,drive these two around and film them looking at the condo they bought here when they forst got drafted. And film their reaction when they see they can't afford it anymore.

But then both are like "holy shit did I miss wienerschnitzel"

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i think with ward done for the year, this was a necessary move. i'd rather have these two, who are known and experienced MLBers instead of cabbage and whoever else. they're not ideal, but they're a step or two over our other options and we know what we're getting for this short-term solution.

on to atlanta.

Honestly, I'd put good money on the bet that nobody in the AW universe ever thought you'd prefer something over cabbage.

This is a good sign, boys.

We're going all the way this year. Bet on it.

Ao obviously this org shouldn't be moving prospects. And obviously we're still a Longshot to make the playoffs. And obviously neither Cron nor Grichuk is that big of a deal to pickup.

But honestly, good for the org. Really happy to see this

We are a 50/50 shot to be gambling wrong here. And we might regret it.

Bit after a decade it's time. And the last 2 months of Shohei, it's time.

8 weeks left to suck it up and throw haymakers. Looking forward to it.

Madden has 39 walks in 60 some odd innings this year, my god that’s atrocious. WHIP of 1.5

i know he’s young and it’s A ball but jeeeeez 

Albright has some solid numbers in IE, seems like a decent bet to be a #3-#5 starter on a big league club somewhere down the line. 

34 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Wait a minute, what's this about the farm being decimated? I thought we drafted 20 pitchers last year. I would think at least some of them will be okay. 

wasn't last year was 2021 ... last year we drafted Neto so how could we have drafted 20 pitchers?