• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Walsh

Sucks to see him go..was one of the few bright spots we've seen the past few years.

But I hope there's a lesson here about being too optimistic on guys who come out of nowhere. (I'll include Ward here).

Not trying to rub this in anyone's face. But this past winter I made a comment that I'd be happy if Walsh could simply be our new Calhoun. A guy who wasn't a star by any means, but solid, home grown and cheap.

And someone here (don't remember who) said "Walsh is better than Calhoun ever was", and I said "I hope so, but we'll see"

This isn't me patting myself on the back. It's me pointing out everyone needs to give these guys a good 3 years or so of a window to judge them.

Like guys who have a bad year (Sandoval this year, for example) and everyone is done with them. We'll see.

Same as when guys have some freak good year, and you assume they're going to do that going forward. We'll see.

Sucks for Walsh though. Like I said, he was one of the few bright spots this org had the past several years. I hope he gets right and gets a new job soon

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Sucks to see him go..was one of the few bright spots we've seen the past few years.

But I hope there's a lesson here about being too optimistic on guys who come out of nowhere. (I'll include Ward here).

Not trying to rub this in anyone's face. But this past winter I made a comment that I'd be happy if Walsh could simply be our new Calhoun. A guy who wasn't a star by any means, but solid, home grown and cheap.

And someone here (don't remember who) said "Walsh is better than Calhoun ever was", and I said "I hope so, but we'll see"

This isn't me patting myself on the back. It's me pointing out everyone needs to give these guys a good 3 years or so of a window to judge them.

Like guys who have a bad year (Sandoval this year, for example) and everyone is done with them. We'll see.

Same as when guys have some freak good year, and you assume they're going to do that going forward. We'll see.

Sucks for Walsh though. Like I said, he was one of the few bright spots this org had the past several years. I hope he gets right and gets a new job soon

And that is simply not true. Calhoun (Angels only) and Walsh seasons in order of highest to lowest WAR, with Walsh in bold:

3.5, 3.4, 3.0, 2.3, 2.3, 1.3, 1.0, 0.8, 0.0, -0.1, -0.2, -0.6, -0.7

My guess is some idoit saw "29 HR" and ignored everything else. Calhoun had three seasons better than Walsh's best and a fourth equally good. His 10.0 fWAR from 2014-16 was 47th best of all position players, tied with Troy Tulowitzki and AJ Pollock.

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

Pitchers figured him out. It happens all the time.

13 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't think so. I think this is an internal issue. I hope he figures it out.

The way i see it, it’s both. The biggest internal issue is that he couldn’t make the adjustments when the pitchers figured him out. 

The man may actually have something debilitating going on in his brain..we just don't know. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the reports of some cerebral issues prior to his return. 

I think it's more than skills eroding, and in this case you gotta feel for the guy.

7 minutes ago, REDneck said:

The man may actually have something debilitating going on in his brain..we just don't know. I'm sure everyone is familiar with the reports of some cerebral issues prior to his return. 

I think it's more than skills eroding, and in this case you gotta feel for the guy.

His symptoms were terrifying.  I agree, I don't think it's that pitchers figured him out, or that his skills evaporated.

I think he was injured, neurologically, and it may well be career-ending.

I do feel badly for him, and I hope he can continue to work on his recovery, and that the Angels show the grace to keep him in the minors, and let him try.

2 hours ago, Sho Way That Was A Strike said:

I feel like every year we see a guy that starts out mediocre, has one or two good or great years, and then the magic dust wears off and he turns into a pumpkin again. 

Walsh. 
Rengifo. 
Ward. 
Fletcher. 

I could go on…

I would not say Ward, even Rengifo has been productive at times.

1 hour ago, Justin said:

His emergence made it possible for the Angels to release Pujols a few months early and I never again had to watch a GIDP where Albert hadn't even gotten halfway to first by the time the play was over. 

If for no other reason, I will always like Walsh. 

Funny enough, was going to include that but didn't.

But I agree.

The injury wrecked his 2022 and 2023 seasons.

Hopefully, for him personally, he can get fully healthy and regain his form.

My guess is he doesn’t dully regain his strength for another year or two and then he pops up somewhere and has a good couple seasons.

He was gonna get non-tendered in the offseason by the Angels anyway, so might as well DFA him now when you need the space.

27 minutes ago, stormngt said:

6 year average OPS 108.  

Please define term productive!

Last 7 games very productive has help a lot with injuries to Neto, Drury and fan favorite Rendon. He has help Minasian decide to keep Ohtani and make big trade. He is not only one, but he has been hot and helped.

I said Ward was better than Calhoun ever was, not Walsh.

I might be wrong.  He's at least as good., though.  Turning it around offensively lately.    They are  somewhat similar players...  good approach at the plate, solid defense.