• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you take Scioscia back

Would you take Scioscia back?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take Scioscia back as the manager of the Angels?

I say no, for the reason that I think Scioscia is a terrible manager with respect to young players. He is great in many ways, but not a young player’s manager, and the game is increasingly getting younger. In fact, I don’t think he and Minasian could gel, given Minasian’s aggressive manner of promoting prospects (and presumably expecting the manager to play them). 

Scioscia was a good manager, the issue was that he had been elevated above the GM within the organization.

Say what you will about the GMs we’ve had or Perry specifically, but it’s clear to me that an organization cannot function properly if the front office is not on the same page with the dugout.

So the question to me is, would Scioscia be able to be deferential to a front office that likely has different views than he does on topics like player usage, defensive deployments, baserunning, sacrificing and productive outs? I just can’t imagine that the answer there is yes.

15 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Scioscia was a good manager, the issue was that he had been elevated above the GM within the organization.

Say what you will about the GMs we’ve had or Perry specifically, but it’s clear to me that an organization cannot function properly if the front office is not on the same page with the dugout.

So the question to me is, would Scioscia be able to be deferential to a front office that likely has different views than he does on topics like player usage, defensive deployments, baserunning, sacrificing and productive outs? I just can’t imagine that the answer there is yes.

It's not and a big reason why he's never taken another job.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t believe any one signing or hiring or move solves all the problems. I want moves made that build upon other moves that puts us in a position to be more competitive. My belief is Scioscia would be a positive move. 

Agreed

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I would take him back as just a manager.  

But what are we talking about with an 'emphasis on fundamentals'?  Wasting at bats on sacrifice bunting or productive outs?  Meh.  The only one that bothers me is not getting a guy from third home with less than two outs.  

Mostly I like him for his leadership skills.  

When I think of 'fundamentals' it is more about decision making. Throwing to the right base, backing up plays, intelligent base running.  Overall, players having a plan of how they are going to react before every pitch.  

I'm surprised that my response is "maybe." I mean, on one hand, why not?

On the other, I kind of think the game has passed him by. He's very old school and was always resistant to new ideas. Ideally a manager would combine the best of both worlds, and I always felt Sosh was firmly of one and not the other.

21 minutes ago, Jimmy Z said:

ha ha, nah Angelswin is a red laser dot free zone and plus these thin skinned emotionally triggered moderator types wouldn't even know what to do with such an instrument

I’m sure we’d figure it out very quickly. Especially since our prey would be pretty easy targets. 

4 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I would take him back as just a manager.  

But what are we talking about with an 'emphasis on fundamentals'?  Wasting at bats on sacrifice bunting or productive outs?  Meh.  The only one that bothers me is not getting a guy from third home with less than two outs.  

Mostly I like him for his leadership skills.  

Well, does this year feel like there has been some really simple errors that have contributed to turning Angel wins to Angel losses? I think the most fundamental thing baseball players can do consistently is catch and throw the ball. In particular, there has just been too many glaring throwing errors (Rendon!!!, Walsh stand out). Then there are some specific cases of mental mistakes and forgetfulness I never seemed to see from Scioscia's teams. Here's some examples that stick out. 1) [Leaving out names on purpose] Our first baseman not realizing that there's less than three outs and after a play at first forgot about the man on second rounding third. That guy just ended up scoring without a throw. 2) Our catcher with the bases loaded not stepping on home plate to start an inning ending double play. Granted the throw was carrying him a little bit away from the plate, but no excuses, because there was only one out and you have to get that first out at home or else a run scores. I can also nibble on things like our Left fielder trying to make an unnecessary basket catch on a ball he was chasing in the gap (where the ball ended up deflecting off his arm and crucial runs scored as a result). Heck, what about our First baseman's lack of awareness two nights ago where he fielded that bunt and could have started a triple play but lacked the awareness to see that he could have gotten at least the lead runner by a country mile. The last two are probably nit-picking but you get where I'm going with this, right? And yes, I agree, moving the runner over and scoring runners at third with less than two outs has also been lacking as well. Granted, Mike's teams weren't perfect. They just didn't seem to be plagued by the type of miscues I've seen this year. 

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’m sure we’d figure it out very quickly. Especially since our prey would be pretty easy targets. 

you seriously don't think the weight of the red laser dot instrument might be a bit much for some of the more limp wristed moderators here?

Just now, Jimmy Z said:

you seriously don't think the weight of the red laser dot instrument might be a bit much for some of the more limp wristed moderators here?

Have you seen us?  Have you seen @Chuckster70, I’m guessing we’d be fine. I can ask him if he will create a safe space for you who don’t care for disagreements. Also careful, he doesn’t care for people shitting on his couch. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Have you seen us?  Have you seen @Chuckster70, I’m guessing we’d be fine. I can ask him if he will create a safe space for you who don’t care for disagreements. Also careful, he doesn’t care for people shitting on his couch. 

First things first, I know @Chuckster70 is not going to be one of the more delicate types (moderators) here... hence me SPECIFICALLY saying "some of the more limp wristed moderators here" (not all)... and in regards to couch shitting, I'm not Canadian, I have manors. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy Z said:

First things first, I know @Chuckster70 is not going to be one of the more delicate types (moderators) here... hence me SPECIFICALLY saying "some of the more limp wristed moderators here" (not all)... and in regards to couch shitting, I'm not Canadian, I have manors. 

Manors are buildings. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Z said:

Oh snap we can mark posters as being trolls???... do tell, how?... no joke I seriously want to know how

Strad is alright. He thinks he knows everything but he isn’t alone. Yes, the mods and old timers get away with stuff but they’ve also contributed more over the years. Strad is kinda the southern Baptist preacher of the group. Self righteous as hell with good intentions and never wrong.  As long as he doesn’t bang your wife or ask you for money just let it go.