• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you take Scioscia back

Would you take Scioscia back?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take Scioscia back as the manager of the Angels?

14 minutes ago, Kotchman said:

Strad is alright. He thinks he knows everything but he isn’t alone. Yes, the mods and old timers get away with stuff but they’ve also contributed more over the years. Strad is kinda the southern Baptist preacher of the group. Self righteous as hell with good intentions and never wrong.  As long as he doesn’t bang your wife or ask you for money just let it go. 

And I highly doubt I’ll bang your wife and I’m doing ok financially so you are safe there. Everything else is pretty spot on. Although I’ve been wrong quite often, Albert retiring was probably my biggest gaffe. 

I was in the minority but I didn't want Scioscia to leave. When the Angels got bad during his tenure is was clear to me it was a roster problem not a managing problem. The whole "need a new voice" sentiment never resonated with me. 

That being said, baseball has changed a lot since Scioscia was managing. I'm not too sure if he'd adjust, but the last two games alone show Nevin has no clue what he's doing.  

1 hour ago, Kotchman said:

Strad is alright. He thinks he knows everything but he isn’t alone. Yes, the mods and old timers get away with stuff but they’ve also contributed more over the years. Strad is kinda the southern Baptist preacher of the group. Self righteous as hell with good intentions and never wrong.  As long as he doesn’t bang your wife or ask you for money just let it go. 

Lol, wow how fitting, this so reminds me of that great old saying... the pathway to hell is paved by "good intentions" 😆🤣

50 minutes ago, Stradling said:

And I highly doubt I’ll bang your wife and I’m doing ok financially so you are safe there. Everything else is pretty spot on. Although I’ve been wrong quite often, Albert retiring was probably my biggest gaffe. 

Yes I actually get a laugh out of the back and forth nowadays. You put a lot into the forum so you deserve to give people shit

15 hours ago, Stradling said:

This offseason would you bring him back to be the manager?  His teams absolutely had an identity.  

i think of it like this, if i left my wife because we had a relationship that wasn't working anymore, then i got a couple different girlfriends over the years and it never worked out with them either. what would it say about my exwife if she took me back? what would it say about me if i just went back to where i was unhappy? and also maybe the problem isn't with my wife or all those exgf's. maybe it's me.

18 hours ago, Stradling said:

Have you seen us?  Have you seen @Chuckster70, I’m guessing we’d be fine. I can ask him if he will create a safe space for you who don’t care for disagreements. Also careful, he doesn’t care for people shitting on his couch. 

I thought everyone was fat on here, with the exception of Chuckster?

13 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I was in the minority but I didn't want Scioscia to leave. When the Angels got bad during his tenure is was clear to me it was a roster problem not a managing problem. The whole "need a new voice" sentiment never resonated with me. 

That being said, baseball has changed a lot since Scioscia was managing. I'm not too sure if he'd adjust, but the last two games alone show Nevin has no clue what he's doing.  

I argued exactly that point.  His teams were poorly constrcted.  One year Bourjos was one of the top hitters of the team.  Then he rarely had a BP worth a damn.  (Still don't).

I didn't participate in the poll because I'm not a big "what if" guy. 

I will say this - Scioscia and Bill Stoneman's biggest impact was in the way they changed the culture of the Angels as an organization. Together they instilled a certain way of playing the game, set expectations, etc. and they did that together.  They were on the same page.  It was a great partnership.  The Angels success can be directly tied to that partnership.

The organization has changed.  The culture is different.  Baseball has changed.

That being said, I have no doubt Mike Scioscia could be successful anywhere, but he would still need a partner on the GM side.  He can't do both.  That's not to say he should have a certain level of autonomy.  I just think the days of a manager setting the tone for an organization may have passed.  Maybe not.  I don't know for sure.

I miss Scioscia.  I miss his leadership.  He never made it about himself.  Never.  He never wanted to be the focal point. He always gave credit and never took it. 

I especially admired the way he navigated the team through the death of Nick Adenhart. 

I just admire Mike Scioscia, the man and I hope he's happy with whatever he's doing now.  He gave me a lot of good memories and I will always be grateful for that.

Bochy came back to MLB after extended absence, and the Rangers are doing well.

Maybe the 5 years away has recharged Sosh?   Still only 65, 3 years younger than Bochy.

That said, if he and Minasian see that they would not be able to get on the same page, it would be better to find another guy to manage the team.

This FO gives more hope then any since after Stoneman resigned.

Edited by Angel Oracle

22 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

This was my take, too. Whether it's Sosh or anyone else, it came down to lack of talent.

Manager can set the tone. And look like a genius or an idiot based on lineups and pitching changes. But if the pool to choose from is mostly trash you're not going to look good.

It's like suggesting Sosh .anaged Trout differently than everyone else. "He coached Trout to all-star levels! But he didn't know how to handle Cowgill"

Essentially the team for the past decade has produced little to nothing in terms of MLB talent. And has had to rely on throwing money at past their prime guys to chase .500

Not a lot of guys are going to lead that very far.

Trout and now Ohtani have been surrounded by crap for most of their careers. Just as it's not their fault they can't carry 20 guys on their back to October, its even much less so for the guy filling out a lineup card.