• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBN-Morosi: Angels are now in a listening mode with Shohei Ohtani trade inquiries

budice0

His blister problem may be a huge issue affecting the trade return.

He'll be expected to be the X factor player on whichever team he goes to. As a two way player. Two months aren't that long if he has a recurring physical problem. In theory he should get 10 - 12 starts pitching if the trade occurs on the last deadline day. If his problem restricts his pitching quality and endurance the other team doesn't get full value. 

The other team may be reluctant to offer the best deal if they feel Ohtani's two way play will be restricted. 

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

The D-Backs have shown in the past they'll pay big for the right player as evidenced by Greinke, Goldschmidt, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling (that goes pretty far back!). Arte won't trade Ohtani to the Dodgers, no matter how good the deal. He wouldn't even trade Ward or Rengifo over there. The Mets aren't buying for this year. Yankees will, Baltimore will and can spend. The Giants and Braves don't have the minor league pieces to do it. No one in either Central Division will. Padres could, but I think they're more focused on controllable pieces. 

So I think it comes down to the Yankees, Orioles, D-Backs. 

if a team acquires him, then yes, it's going to be about this years playoffs. but i don't believe any team is going to give up a serious package if they don't realistically believe they can sign him. any team that tries to acquire him is likely going to ask for a negotiation period before a trade, and that has some prospect value to the angels as well.  baltimore and dbacks aren't signing any player to a 60 million per year deal. i'd be willing to believe the orioles could if they had a different owner and i just don't believe ohtani would consider baltimore. yankees obviously could do it financially, and while some believe they don't have the prospects to match up, i disagree. i think if we scored a jasson dominguez or austin wells, maybe with an oswald peraza, and some pitching. i'd think the angels did real well with some mish mash of that.

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

The D-Backs have shown in the past they'll pay big for the right player as evidenced by Greinke, Goldschmidt, Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling (that goes pretty far back!). Arte won't trade Ohtani to the Dodgers, no matter how good the deal. He wouldn't even trade Ward or Rengifo over there. The Mets aren't buying for this year. Yankees will, Baltimore will and can spend. The Giants and Braves don't have the minor league pieces to do it. No one in either Central Division will. Padres could, but I think they're more focused on controllable pieces. 

So I think it comes down to the Yankees, Orioles, D-Backs. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

You see if this is the year Baltimore is willing to spend prospect capital to make a real run. If so trade Ohtani and Estevez to the Orioles for whatever they’ll give up. I believe they have the most top 100 prospects. 

I think it has taken the Orioles so long to get to this point that they'd probably be reluctant to part with a number of prospects for a 2-month rental, even if it is Ohtani.  I think the Orioles will focus on adding someone that can go with their core and will be controllable.  They'd be a fantastic trade partner, but I just don't see it.

JMO, but I agree with the idea that the most likely teams to give up significant prospect capital for Ohtani are likely the west coast teams (and Yankees), as they seemingly have the best shot at retaining Ohtani beyond this year.

@Second Base, I agree with you that Arte would never trade Ohtani to the Dodgers, even if he got an amazing offer, strictly based on the principle that it's the Dodgers.  That's unfortunate, because they're one of the most prospect-laden teams and have a lot of near-MLB ready pieces that we could seemingly play immediately.

I'll go ahead and guess that if Arte does trade Ohtani, it will be to the Giants.  West coast team with a good amount of prospects, in the middle of a playoff hunt, and will have tons of money to spend after missing out on several high-priced players this offseason.

So who on the Giants would we want to acquire?

2 hours ago, cals said:

I know some think the return won’t be massive, but some team will pay big.

Perhaps the Angels can get the Giants and Dodgers to both bid - that would, seemingly, be a solid way to try to ramp up the return, given they are arch-rivals and will probably be the two most likely destinations for Ohtani this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Perhaps the Angels can get the Giants and Dodgers to both bid - that would, seemingly, be a solid way to try to ramp up the return, given they are arch-rivals and will probably be the two most likely destinations for Ohtani this offseason.

Let’s hope our fat GM is as smart as you are.  Because that’s what a smart GM would do.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I think it has taken the Orioles so long to get to this point that they'd probably be reluctant to part with a number of prospects for a 2-month rental, even if it is Ohtani.  I think the Orioles will focus on adding someone that can go with their core and will be controllable.  They'd be a fantastic trade partner, but I just don't see it.

JMO, but I agree with the idea that the most likely teams to give up significant prospect capital for Ohtani are likely the west coast teams (and Yankees), as they seemingly have the best shot at retaining Ohtani beyond this year.

@Second Base, I agree with you that Arte would never trade Ohtani to the Dodgers, even if he got an amazing offer, strictly based on the principle that it's the Dodgers.  That's unfortunate, because they're one of the most prospect-laden teams and have a lot of near-MLB ready pieces that we could seemingly play immediately.

I'll go ahead and guess that if Arte does trade Ohtani, it will be to the Giants.  West coast team with a good amount of prospects, in the middle of a playoff hunt, and will have tons of money to spend after missing out on several high-priced players this offseason.

Ohtani + Rendon + 30 million to cover their salaries this year for Joey Bart, Heliot Ramos, Mason Black, and Wil Bednar.  

11 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I'm absolutely convinced Ohtani is going to sign with San Francisco this off-season. The concept of him splashing balls into McCovey Cove is too marketable, as it was for Bonds. It's a West Coast team that has won the World Series more often in the last decade than anyone, they're lacking big names since Posey's retirement and have a Japanese contingent that dwarfs Anaheim, at least in terms of permanent residence. 

However, it terms of trading for him, the Giants don't have the pieces. Harrison and Wisenhunt are legit pitchers, and that's it, that's all they have and both those guys are key cogs for their future, so losing them isn't on the table. 

They just don't have the prospect capital. 

7 hours ago, T-angel said:

Ohtani + Rendon + 30 million to cover their salaries this year for Joey Bart, Heliot Ramos, Mason Black, and Wil Bednar.  

No one is giving you ANY value if you include Rendon. If it were the Angels trading for Ohtani and Rendon because we were in contention the return would be something like Fletcher, Davidson and CRod. 

18 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm absolutely convinced Ohtani is going to sign with San Francisco this off-season. The concept of him splashing balls into McCovey Cove is too marketable, as it was for Bonds. It's a West Coast team that has won the World Series more often in the last decade than anyone, they're lacking big names since Posey's retirement and have a Japanese contingent that dwarfs Anaheim, at least in terms of permanent residence. 

However, it terms of trading for him, the Giants don't have the pieces. Harrison and Wisenhunt are legit pitchers, and that's it, that's all they have and both those guys are key cogs for their future, so losing them isn't on the table. 

They just don't have the prospect capital. 

I just don’t see Ohtani going to the Giants. They’ve had one great season and are playing well this year. But since 2018 they have 2 winning seasons.  I’d love for him to go there because it isn’t the Dodgers or Seattle but honestly those teams in my mind have a much better chance. The Dodgers are always good and Seattle has very good starting pitching and I think at least a decent young core. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 2:11 PM, Second Base said:

I think the most likely destination of all is Baltimore. They've just got their window of contention and are stocked with young MLB ready prospects and no where to put them. They could deal from their surplus without hurting the team's future while also making a big push this year. 

Minasian loves his first round picks and hyped prospects. I think he could swing some sort of deal where the Angels get Heston Kjerstad, DL Hall, Dylan Beavers and Seth Johnson from the Orioles. All those guys are furst or comp round picks, all have upside, all are in the high minors and every single one of them is currently blocked. 

I think Baltimore is a real possibility here -- and Ohtani would be a definite two month rental there -- but he could lead them to the promised land of a long run in the playoffs perhaps even a championship- which would give all those young Baltimore players who will be staying put in Baltimore - real playoff experience.   Baltimore - as Second Base points out - has the group of potential minor league. prospects who could be with the Angels for about four to five years under club control

I just don’t believe they are trading him, so these stories seem like garbage to me.

I certainly could be surprised and find out that I am wrong.

But I don’t believe these report are anything more than writers speculating for entertainment content, clicks, and frankly they just kinda have to ride this story out.

The bottom line for me is there seems to be lots of data that says they won’t trade him, and no real credible data that they will.

I guess we will all know for sure soon enough.

17 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I just don’t believe they are trading him, so these stories seem like garbage to me.

I certainly could be surprised and find out that I am wrong.

But I don’t believe these report are anything more than writers speculating for entertainment content, clicks, and frankly they just kinda have to ride this story out.

The bottom line for me is there seems to be lots of data that says they won’t trade him, and no real credible data that they will.

I guess we will all know for sure soon enough.

What would be best for Angels going forward. Ohtani will test FA and he wants to be on a winner. Angels have many needs going into 2024. Angels have two bad contracts now in Rendon and Trout. Seven losing seasons and could be 8 after this year changes need to be made.

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Give us this long list of needs for 2024.

They need to keep Ohtani, get some progression with some of their young players, and stay relatively healthy.

This is where I’m at. I also could see a path to winning next year if they trade Ohtani, assuming the budget is the same. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

This is where I’m at. I also could see a path to winning next year if they trade Ohtani, assuming the budget is the same. 

I actually think it would be harder to win in 2024.  Trading Ohtani now means almost certainly this team isn’t winning this year.  So they need to be better next year.

They would have to replace Ohtani the pitcher, replace Ohtani the hitter and then improve beyond that.  I just don’t think you are going to get enough talent back in a trade for Ohtani to immediately (2024) replace the productivity of Ohtani.

Do we think the team either has that kind of prospect talent ready to graduate and perform in 2024, or that the team will be able to sign that much talent in free agency?

To me, the far more realistic path to win soon involves keeping Ohtani.