• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLBN-Morosi: Angels are now in a listening mode with Shohei Ohtani trade inquiries

budice0

One factor is indeed if Moreno allows Perry to trade for two solid enough veteran late innings guys and go over the tax threshold for the first time in almost 20 years.

Because with this very thin bullpen after Estevez, Moore, and recently Loup, it will be difficult to stay in WC contention.

Edit: The next 28 games will decide if staying in contention.   After Detroit, the following 25 games are ALL against over .500 teams.   Gonna be an absolutely brutal stretch.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

One factor is indeed if Moreno allows Perry to trade for two solid enough veteran late innings guys and go over the tax threshold for the first time in almost 20 years.

Because with this very thin bullpen after Estevez, Moore, and recently Loup, it will be difficult to stay in WC contention.

Edit: The next 28 games will decide if staying in contention.   After Detroit, the following 25 games are ALL against over .500 teams.   Gonna be an absolutely brutal stretch.

Personally, (and I agree on the pen), it's crucial that guys like Sandoval, Renfroe and Canning step up here.

They don't need to be stars. But they need to shine. 

And it would be really nice to get Drury back soon.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Personally, (and I agree on the pen), it's crucial that guys like Sandoval, Renfroe and Canning step up here.

They don't need to be stars. But they need to shine. 

And it would be really nice to get Drury back soon.

Renfroe is known to be streaky as hell...he's due to have a big 30-game stretch again. 

Sandoval really needs to find what was working last year. If he does that, the rotation starts to look really good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

30 percent if they keep him. 

3 percent if they trade him. 

I just remembered a conversation I had a couple days ago (with a source familiar with Ohtani’s thinking) that the latter part of this is true.

If the Angels would have traded Ohtani, it would have been next to impossible to then convince him to re-sign after the season. He would not have believed the Angels were ever committed to winning if they gave up when they were 3 games out with more than 2 months to go. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I just remembered a conversation I had a couple days ago (with a source familiar with Ohtani’s thinking) that the latter part of this is true.

If the Angels would have traded Ohtani, it would have been next to impossible to then convince him to re-sign after the season. He would not have believed the Angels were ever committed to winning if they gave up when they were 3 games out with more than 2 months to go. 

You think it's still 30% as of 8/11/23?

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I never thought that 30% was contingent on them making the playoffs. I thought it was contingent on them playing well enough to show a promising future. They still could do that. But I’d probably knock it down to 28.34381% now. 🙂

and while unlikely, if they win both series against Houston and Texas, I think it spikes up into the 40% range. 🙂 

13 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

To be fair, they're currently effectively 7 1/2 games out of the playoffs and they have the 10th-best record in a 15-team league.

Not to mention they just got swept at Home by the 3rd place team in their Division, and are now on the Road against the #2 & #1 teams in the Division.  Started out with an 8 run loss.