• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

First Base Targets

34 minutes ago, REDneck said:

He would get hit in the jaw on a pick off attempt and have his mouth wired shut to the point where he became emaciated and eventually died a horrible death.

Seriously I don't think you can count on Rendon moving forward, even if he is healthy.

How bout Nolan Arenado? Thaiss can play 1b correct? Thaiss and Drury platoon at 1b, Wallach ( has cooled a bit)  but is primarily your everyday catcher with Thaiss resting him on certain days.

22 minutes ago, REDneck said:

Seriously I don't think you can count on Rendon moving forward, even if he is healthy.

How bout Nolan Arenado? Thaiss can play 1b correct? Thaiss and Drury platoon at 1b, Wallach ( has cooled a bit)  but is primarily your everyday catcher with Thaiss resting him on certain days.

Scratch Arenado just looked up his contract..similiar to Rendon just a hell of a lot more healthy and productive

4 hours ago, Revad said:

Jeimer Candelario has 2.1 fwar, why was he cut?  Gotta trade for him.

Must have just happened now?

He played today, went 0-3.

Only owed around $2 2/3 million.

Mainly has played 3B, last played 1B in 2020 (68 career games at 1B).

Edited by Angel Oracle

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Hosmer or W Myers are essentially free so I'd suggest getting one while we figure out a trade.

Goldschmidt is the obvious.

Andrew Vaughn could be an interesting guy.

Someone else mentioned Grandal and move Thais to 1B. 

Grandal is still owed some $9 million through this season.

Halos have just $3.829 million space under the tax threshold.

Anyone in on Wil Myers may be waiting for him to clear waivers. Especially, the Angels since as was said they're only 3 mil or so below the tax threshold. Cincinnati will be on the hook for the majority of his 7 mil contract this year while anyone who signs him after waivers only has to pay the league minimum for half a season. 

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know Rendon is hurt now from getting HBP (so it wasn’t getting hurt playing third).  But is there any sense to putting him at first when he is back?  He was always a premium defender at 3B but his throwing now makes me a little nervous.

That would open up more possible trade targets who play 3B.

No, need more height at first base. Plus, he does not address the issue of a big bat at first base. If there was a good free agent third baseman or one we could get in an easy trade that plays the hot corner well and swings a power bat, maybe move Rendon to first. But again, I think he is not tall enough for that position.

I suppose it depends on how much they're willing to spend, like how big of a need it is. If it's as simple as promoting Adell to platoon with Moniak and slide Renfroe over, then it's not a big deal. If it's a little bit of an issue, then paying a little price makes sense, like Cron, or Myers. If this is a gigantic problem that's systemic, then it costs more to fix it, getting someone like Goldschmidt, and paying a premium, meaning you take on the contract AND pay in products like Quero and more. 

Personally, I don't think it's that big of a problem because first base and DH types aren't expensive in free agency. And similarly, hyped youngsters like Casas and Andrew Vaughn have largely underperformed. 

I'd try Renfroe first, and if that doesn't help, then I'd try someone like Daniel. Murphy. And if that still doesn't work, then I'd escalate and acquire help from the outside.

If Minasian is going to acquire a 1b, it should be for someone that solves 1b for next year as well. Unless he's counting on Walsh to rebound there is no one else in the pipeline.

Some of the above mentioned names are not solutions for next year.

Goldschmidt fits the bill, if Minasian is willing to pay the price. Thaiss could be a viable option as well with the return of O'hoppe next year and possibly sooner.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I think Fletch was injured again last night. 

I have no confidence in Fletcher as anything more than maybe a utility guy that barely plays.  And that kind of role only exists if you have very solid starters across all four infield positions, which the Angels don’t have.

I don’t want Fletcher on team in some regular rotation of playing time.

6 hours ago, REDneck said:

If Minasian is going to acquire a 1b, it should be for someone that solves 1b for next year as well. Unless he's counting on Walsh to rebound there is no one else in the pipeline.

Some of the above mentioned names are not solutions for next year.

Goldschmidt fits the bill, if Minasian is willing to pay the price. Thaiss could be a viable option as well with the return of O'hoppe next year and possibly sooner.

Should anyone we get play both corner IF positions since Gio isn't coming back.

55 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I have no confidence in Fletcher as anything more than maybe a utility guy that barely plays.  And that kind of role only exists if you have very solid starters across all four infield positions, which the Angels don’t have.

I don’t want Fletcher on team in some regular rotation of playing time.

So Padlo, Stefanic, Velazquez or Walsh instead right now? OK.