• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adellgate (Adell unhappy?)

Angelsjunky

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m not trying to exonerate Adell for his disappointing stints in the majors.  Certainly, he has played his part in that.  He hasn’t played well! But the Angels are also at fault here.  I don’t think the Angels as an organization really deserve much benefit of the doubt when it comes to developing players.  We’ve all seen the stuff that has come out about the Angels system.  It’s not great.  Adell hasn’t played well.  But he’s the one that actually works with the Angels.  Maybe his frustration is justified in some measure.  I’d believe it.  The results across the board are what they are.  I haven’t seen anything especially egregious like I said.  I guess we all have different ideas of what that would be though. 

I think Eppler definitely mismanaged Adell. It feels like there was a lot of pressure to call him up - maybe from Arte also - and Eppler brought him up before he was ready. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 10.50.30 PM.png

I’m sure Jo is upset the Angels aren’t letting him work out his hitting woes in the Majors and nothing else to the social media shade. Hopefully Thames can get Adell in a better mindset at the plate. Last year, his BBs were down while Ks were way up. Seeing his BABIP was .338 shows that he was getting a little lucky with the balls he was connecting on. Keep your head down Jo, keep battling and you’ll be up in the Big Leagues in no time.

Adell has work ethic, and he's motivated. But he's also young, distracted and terrible at the most instinctual parts of this game, the ones that should've come easiest for him. 

And that's what concerns me. The subtleties of the game are something you can fine tune, and he's got more than enough talent to cover those. But the parts that run natural in ball players, he doesn't seem to grasp. And he's split between developing as a major leaguer, and making sure his story is a well publicized one. And I am just not sure what you can do with that. 

He's like the shortstop that can make the most incredible Simmons-esque acrobatic, eye-popping plays, yet doesn't understand how to field a basic grounder. I mean you can stick him in the minors and hope he develops, but really, the simplest parts of the game are a mystery to him? I'm just not sure that's something that can be solved at this stage. 

And that's what sucks with athletes as good as Adell. Their natural talent is so damn good that they never actually develop in the low minors. They just dominate until they reach a level of play that requires adjustments, typically around AA/AAA.

3 minutes ago, HanfordGuy said:

The 2020 season with no minor leagues really messed up Adell’s development.

That minor league season messed with every prospects development. I'm not willing to single out Jo and say he was more hurt by it than Brandon Marsh, Reid Detmers, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez, Adley Rutschman or Julio Rodriguez. 

Adell deserves no special excuse and is the only one responsible for his shit performance to date. The fact that he's at Driveline is the most promising part of his career now because it suggests that he's now going to take ownership and responsibility over his performance. But I refuse to blame COVID or Eppler for his garbage. 

Regardless of what you think of Adell, I think we can safely say that the Angels haven’t done him many favors in terms of his development.

- They were the ones who rushed him through the minors.

- They were the ones who called him up in 2020.

- They were the ones who didn’t give him a ton of corner outfield reps in games before moving him to a corner outfield spot in the majors.

- They were the ones who had Jeremy Reed lead his instruction as the minor league hitting coordinator in 2017-2018 and as the major league hitting coach in 2020-2022.

The only successful hitters the Angels have really developed are Walsh, Ward, and Rengifo. Walsh has only had one and a half seasons of success, Ward credits his success to work with an outside hitting instructor, and Rengifo has only had one season of success.

The large majority of Angels hitting prospects have failed in the last decade. I think there needs to be more introspection on that, rather than assigning all the blame to Adell.

54 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The large majority of Angels hitting prospects have failed in the last decade. I think there needs to be more introspection on that, rather than assigning all the blame to Adell.

Who knows if Jo takes instruction well.  Works his ass off doing what he wants to do.  Or maybe he's doing everything they've asked of him.

One way or another it's been a bad combo so far.  And I agree with both you and @Second Base in that some of this is on the org and some of this is on the player.  

Jo is young enough to sort of 'start fresh' if you will.   

I remember Upton being DFA’d paving the way for Adell to being an opening day starter. I also saw him throwing a ball down the first base line instead of home, missing a fly ball at the warning track, and striking out every plate appearance. 
He definitely didn’t help us win games if anything he hurt us. If he really doesn’t get how bad he’s looked in the majors and that if he was even average he would be in there everyday based on prospect reputation alone then he needs to be told the cold hard facts by management that he’s been horrific when he’s been out there.

8 hours ago, Second Base said:

Adell has work ethic, and he's motivated. But he's also young, distracted and terrible at the most instinctual parts of this game, the ones that should've come easiest for him. 

And that's what concerns me. The subtleties of the game are something you can fine tune, and he's got more than enough talent to cover those. But the parts that run natural in ball players, he doesn't seem to grasp. And he's split between developing as a major leaguer, and making sure his story is a well publicized one. And I am just not sure what you can do with that. 

He's like the shortstop that can make the most incredible Simmons-esque acrobatic, eye-popping plays, yet doesn't understand how to field a basic grounder. I mean you can stick him in the minors and hope he develops, but really, the simplest parts of the game are a mystery to him? I'm just not sure that's something that can be solved at this stage. 

And that's what sucks with athletes as good as Adell. Their natural talent is so damn good that they never actually develop in the low minors. They just dominate until they reach a level of play that requires adjustments, typically around AA/AAA.

This is my impression as well, and what makes me a bit pessimistic about his future, at least in the short-term. It is my impression that guys with middling athleticism but great instincts usually end up having better careers than guys with great athleticism but dubious instincts (assuming other factors, like work ethic, being the same). 

But I do hope that Jo proves me wrong.

10 hours ago, Second Base said:

You're going to have to start explaining what you mean by this.

This is a very simple problem to solve.  Adell went to driveline, or the Arizona complex, or both, to put in the work.  

If he continues to do so, the results will be readily apparent when he reports to camp.  

He will have to be a complete player to earn his way onto the roster.  I think that Jo Adell will develop into a fine major league player, if he just keeps working.  

Injuries will provide him with another opportunity, just as they did with his earlier looks.  He just needs to be ready. 

11 hours ago, Second Base said:

What exactly are you basing this on? 

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ll explain it to you.  He is looking for a reason to shit on him.  There you go for whatever reason. 

That's fine, he can go ahead and shit on him, but if he's going to continue to try and speak with any sort of authoritative voice on the topic then he needs to explain where it's coming from. If he doesn't want to then he should at least stop pretending he is some kind of a scout so we can all get back to assuming that this is the result of Jo putting on that BLM t-shirt that one time.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

That's fine, he can go ahead and shit on him, but if he's going to continue to try and speak with any sort of authoritative voice on the topic then he needs to explain where it's coming from. If he doesn't want to then he should at least stop pretending he is some kind of a scout so we can all get back to assume that this is the result of Jo putting on that BLM t-shirt that one time.

I think we know the answer on this one. If it walks like a duck.

TL;DR

My issue with Adell is that his play in the MLB Out Field has been really poor.  It boggles the mind that someone who has been so highly touted is so bad defensively. 

What he does on his own time is his business.  However, he needs to perform while he is on the clock if he wants a job.