• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adellgate (Adell unhappy?)

Angelsjunky

It runs consistent with off the field stuff that has been kept silent regarding Adell. Without getting into too much detail, he wants to be so much more than a professional athlete. The hope was that he would age out of it, but it appears to be solidly part of who he is, and people that share this trait, tend to be professional victims beyond all else.

Just now, Second Base said:

It runs consistent with off the field stuff that has been kept silent regarding Adell. Without getting into too much detail, he wants to be so much more than a professional athlete. The hope was that he would age out of it, but it appears to be solidly part of who he is, and people that share this trait, tend to be professional victims beyond all else.

This is cute. 

I've been great my whole life, how dare you put me fifth on the depth chart? Don't you know who I am? I appeared in an Adidas commercial? Adidas! 

Seriously though, I'm not sure which part of his game has been more disappointing, offensive or defense? I suppose it's probably defense since looking THAT bad is actually impressive. Mark Trumbo looked better at 3B than Adell did in his "natural" position. 

Edited by Second Base

i've watched a fair amount of podcasts and other long form interviews with adell. i'm not going to get all caught up with adellgate (lol), but it seems he views himself as an established veteran and not a developing rookie more or less. he absolutely is fifth on the depth chart, and if i was nevin or minasian or any other mentor/employer, then i would absolutely tell him, "this is a meritocracy, jo. look at taylor ward and ask yourself where he was on the depth chart a couple years ago." the angels didn't do him any favors developmentally and that's on them, but he hasn't seemed to do himself many favors in that department either. i'm no more invested in jo adell, other than we'll see how it all shakes out and where he settles as a player. personally, i think a trade is on his horizon. for those wondering how he feels about the angels, i'd venture to guess he'd welcome it and i wouldn't expect him back in FA down the road.

40 minutes ago, Second Base said:

You mean something like this?

Edited by Angelsjunky

Meh.  I remember there were reports he did not take his demotion well this year.  I do not know how true that may have been.

You can interpret this in two entirely opposite directions.  You can either look at it as most have above - that it is a sign of immaturity and he is upset with how things have gone this offseason.  Or you can view it positively and say, "maybe he feels he hasn't officially made it yet, so he is removing the name as motivation to himself to work harder and make the team."

I don't know Adell and can't make that determination.  Whatever the case may be, he is part of the organization and has a lot of financial incentive to work hard, so I am assuming he will continue to work on his game.

28 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

You mean something like this?

It came out a few years before, but that was my favorite movie when I was 14. I watched it again as an adult and was horrified by everything I didn't get or glossed over as a kid. 

But hey, the girl from Saved by the Bell put in a twice in a lifetime performance. 

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I wonder if Mickey Moniak had done some of the same stuff, if people would immediately call him immature and question his character.

I think with Adell, it is that people had such high hopes for him based on his prospect ratings (top 10 prospect in baseball not too long ago).  I think that amplifies the disappointment of him not panning out so far, so people start jumping on things that they might not have with someone else.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Yes. And I'd add in that he was whiny too. What's your point Taylor? Is there a difference between Jo and Mickey that you feel makes us overly judgemental toward his particular brand of suck? 

It's just something I've noticed. He gets criticized for his character or work ethic while our other young struggling prospects simply get criticized for their suckage on the field. I don't think anybody is being intentional about any of it.

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think with Adell, it is that people had such high hopes for him based on his prospect ratings (top 10 prospect in baseball not too long ago).  I think that amplifies the disappointment of him not panning out so far, so people start jumping on things that they might not have with someone else.

This is absolutely a factor. We all had/have high hopes for him to be a superstar, but he's been disappointing so far. 

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

It's just something I've noticed. He gets criticized for his character or work ethic while our other young struggling prospects simply get criticized for their suckage on the field. I don't think anybody is being intentional about any of it.

I think Moniak drew quite a bit of wrath from Phillies fans who had high expectations of him as the #1 draft pick.  We acquired him already knowing that he was basically a failed prospect who still had some potential but not a ton.  I think if another team acquired Adell, they'd likely have the same low expectations that we do of Moniak and probably not care too much if it doesn't pan out.

The key thing is that a lot of fans thought Adell would be a cornerstone of this franchise for years to come, so to see him struggle mightily and fall short, I think that has led to him being more of a target than other prospects.