• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell, at Driveline

25 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Yeah I’m really just looking for him to be a trade asset again. Gives the team more options. One of which is to hang onto him for 2024 of course. 

Only way for him to really do that will be at the MLB level and if he's performing well enough to do that chances are they wouldn't be interested in moving him.

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Length of stride is only an issue if you're having to drop your leg too early and not being able to finish -- that wasn't an issue on that swing.  His front foot is down and planted when he makes contact, no up and down BS, no back-coil -- all of which have been problematic for him..  Striding or overstriding is an issue if you're not keeping your load back -- we can't see any of that in that video.  He's also keeping it linear, he's not turning as he strides which would make him vulnerable to anything inside or giving the pitcher any visible clues to exploit.

Honestly every batting coach I ever worked under including Rod Carew preached a stride of at least 2-2.5 times my core/hips unless the pitcher was working me inside at which point it was still about keeping the load back and dropping the front foot -- he seems to be right around that.

Whatever it takes to get him in position.  

I was more focused on his hands in that video.  And their path to the ball.  

image.png

image.png

Same timing for both swings from what I can tell.  First one is a swing from late last year.  Second is now.   Look how far down his hands used to travel before coming forward.  Vertical line is back shoulder on both.  Horizontal line is bottom of hand position.  Look at the difference of where they are relative to his waist and shoulder.  How much further are those hands traveling the old way to get to the ball.  

Anyway, I don't know if it's ultimately going to make him better, but I am certain that it's a shorter swing.  

7 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Whatever it takes to get him in position.  

I was more focused on his hands in that video.  And their path to the ball.  

image.png

image.png

Same timing for both swings from what I can tell.  First one is a swing from late last year.  Second is now.   Look how far down his hands used to travel before coming forward.  Vertical line is back shoulder on both.  Horizontal line is bottom of hand position.  Look at the difference of where they are relative to his waist and shoulder.  How much further are those hands traveling the old way to get to the ball.  

Anyway, I don't know if it's ultimately going to make him better, but I am certain that it's a shorter swing.  

Yup the stride is a non issue, he's a big 6'3.  He's much quicker to the zone and as such the bat's cleaner through the hitting zone.  Hips aren't in front in the new video either.  That second video he's in position for a pitch inside, first one he's already been beaten.  Just much much cleaner.

5 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup the stride is a non issue, he's a big 6'3.  He's much quicker to the zone and as such the bat's cleaner through the hitting zone.  Hips aren't in front in the new video either.  That second video he's in position for a pitch inside, first one he's already been beaten.  Just much much cleaner.

the first was a HR swing and you should see how different the point of contact is.    It went out because he's just a freak.  It was an 89 mph fastball on the outer half.

image.png

image.png

17 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Honestly every batting coach I ever worked under including Rod Carew...

I always felt the Angels made a mistake letting Carew go when they flushed the coaching staff at the end of the '99 meltdown. He did only last 2 years with Millwaulkie following and never really found out why it was such a short stint and never coached again. At least not as an official title with a major league organization. 

55 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I always felt the Angels made a mistake letting Carew go when they flushed the coaching staff at the end of the '99 meltdown. He did only last 2 years with Millwaulkie following and never really found out why it was such a short stint and never coached again. At least not as an official title with a major league organization. 

He seems like an idiot, so that's probably why they let him go.

59 minutes ago, Blarg said:

RDT_20230121_0158242754772598954619.jpg

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

Not only that but they haven’t made use of his expertise.  I know he shows up for spring training and all that.  You got one of the greatest hitters ever, I’d ask him to really work with one or two guys on an ongoing basis.  At least once a week.

1 minute ago, Revad said:

Not only that but they haven’t made use of his expertise.  I know he shows up for spring training and all that.  You got one of the greatest hitters ever, I’d ask him to really work with one or two guys on an ongoing basis.  At least once a week.

They could do it on video call nowadays.