• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell, at Driveline

I know some of you have hope from watching the driveline crap, but it's not going to fix him.  

He can't field. He can't hit fastballs. He is unreliable, he doesn't come through, he is a constant liability. 

It's time to move on.

We can't keep having wasted at bats with RISP and errors in the outfield on routine plays if we expect to make the playoffs.

It's one of the most obvious lost causes we have and there are so few people on this website willing to acknowledge it and I don't know why. 

24 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

I know some of you have hope from watching the driveline crap, but it's not going to fix him.  

He can't field. He can't hit fastballs. He is unreliable, he doesn't come through, he is a constant liability. 

It's time to move on.

We can't keep having wasted at bats with RISP and errors in the outfield on routine plays if we expect to make the playoffs.

It's one of the most obvious lost causes we have and there are so few people on this website willing to acknowledge it and I don't know why. 

did I just enter a thread about Taylor Ward from 2018?  

It makes zero sense to move on from him right now considering he has an option left and he's entering his age 24 season.  

On top of that, there's almost no outfield depth in this org that should see time in the bigs this year.  They're probably gonna need him some.  Otherwise it's at bats for so very bad players.  

7 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't know why anyone would want him to do poorly. My question is how effective is Driveline? Has it helped any other major leaguers?

Mookie Betts started going to Driveline in December. I guess we have to wait to see if he improves on last seasons .873 ops. 

19 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't know why anyone would want him to do poorly. My question is how effective is Driveline? Has it helped any other major leaguers?

I don't think anyone does want him to do poorly.  I do think people are skeptical that he can evolve to be an MLB player, but I think we are all rooting for his success.

22 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Adell breaking out would be fucking huge for this team. Like he puts it all together and puts up a 3 WAR season. 

or how about just useful.  Like .230/300/.450 with 25-30 bombs and 15-20 steals while playing about below average yet not horrible defense? 

Like an Anthony Santander in 2022.  

Give me a few 2-2.5 WAR seasons while we argue about whether we should trade him for a pitcher and find someone better.

Just now, Docwaukee said:

or how about just useful.  Like .230/300/.450 with 25-30 bombs and 15-20 steals while playing about below average yet not horrible defense? 

Like an Anthony Santander in 2022.  

Give me a few 2-2.5 WAR seasons while we argue about whether we should trade him for a pitcher and find someone better.

That would be great as well, since it appears we're not prioritizing a 4th outfielder. 

I'm more concerned about his glove, honestly. I think he could easily put up the numbers you posted, but if he's a complete butcher in the outfield then it kind of negates his value a bit...that said his power could be a nice boost to the bottom of the lineup. He definitely has it.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

That would be great as well, since it appears we're not prioritizing a 4th outfielder. 

I'm more concerned about his glove, honestly. I think he could easily put up the numbers you posted, but if he's a complete butcher in the outfield then it kind of negates his value a bit...that said his power could be a nice boost to the bottom of the lineup. He definitely has it.

He's not very coordinated out there from what I've seen.  But he's fast an has a strong arm.  And it's already serviceable.  It's just awkward looking because he doesn't move smoothly.  I think repetitions and coaching will allow him to be average statistically but the eye test will often be discordant when he overruns a ball or dives when he shouldn't or gets a really poor jump but still makes the catch.  We're gonna remember those ugly ones which we already do.  Like the ball hitting him in the chest.  

Just a couple of interesting tidbits about his defense while we're on it.  

Statcast measures defense in outs above average.  Which is a metric taking starting position into account and the speed and spot where the ball was hit.  It's not a huge sample of course but where the metric shows he struggled most was against RHed batters.  Causing his jumps to be slow.  Up until 2021, he had spent most of his time in CF and RF.  With most of that time in CF his first few years.  Point being that I think it'll get better as he spends more time there.  Not great probably ever, but better.  

8 hours ago, Brandon said:

that SOB has a Trevor from GTA V vibe to him.

for all you old guys:

grand theft auto gta GIF

you know what's really funny? the whole way through the article i was like, when does it say this guy managed the blisters? as in the band.