• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell, at Driveline

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

Not sure where you get the idiot take. @Inside Pitch any related stories you have?

I don't have an opinion on the Carew/Angels beef other than it seems pretty silly to have asked him to pick a team when he wasn't under contract. 

As far as insights into his tenure as hitting instructor -- he was pretty much universally praised by people like Preston and the only player that supposedly didn't mesh well with him was Glaus.  Given that Carew preached contact over power it's kind of obvious why.  Zero insight into whether or not Carew felt slighted by having been cast aside in favor of MS's crew but teams were all chasing power at the time so, may have just been a wrong time wrong place situation.

As far as relating to the topic here and strides in particular.  He once dropped a Rossignol ski bag full of pillows in the batters box next to a tee and had take my stance above it.  He then had me take swings while telling me not to let my load leg touch the bag and in particular "don't do any of that Reggie BS".  He knew I loved Reggie -- was pretty funny.

15 hours ago, Blarg said:

I always felt the Angels made a mistake letting Carew go when they flushed the coaching staff at the end of the '99 meltdown. He did only last 2 years with Millwaulkie following and never really found out why it was such a short stint and never coached again. At least not as an official title with a major league organization. 

It was smack in the middle of the OBP/Power era.  Carew was all about being aggressive within the zone, specifically with your hands .vs patience and load..  He had a rep for being a "hitters" coach .vs a "sluggers" coach and it probably dinged him.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

As far as relating to the topic here and strides in particular.  He once dropped a Rossignol ski bag full of pillows in the batters box next to a tee and had take my stance above it.  He then had me take swings while telling me not to let my load leg touch the bag and in particular "don't do any of that Reggie BS".  He knew I loved Reggie -- was pretty funny.

don't leave us in suspense . . . did it help/work?

From Baseball America's Scouts On Jo Adell, Jarred Kelenic And Other Graduated Prospects Yet To Establish Themselves feature: 

Jo Adell, OF, Angels

Highest ranking: No. 3 in 2020
Career statistics: 161 G, .215/.259/.356, 15 HR, 60 RBI, 34.8% K rate, 4.7% BB rate, 70 OPS+.

Adell stormed through the low minors and established himself as one of the game’s elite prospects in 2019 when he excelled at Double-A despite an early-season injury, starred at the Futures Game and led prospect-laden Team USA in almost every offensive category during Olympic qualifying at Premier12. While he still had some rough edges to his game, evaluators across baseball considered him a perennial future all-star as long as he was given time to finish off his development.

But the Angels rushed Adell to the majors during the shortened 2020 season despite the fact he had little Triple-A experience, and he was quickly overwhelmed on both sides of the ball. He became more mechanical and robotic amidst those struggles and lost his natural athleticism and confidence on the field, leading to issues that have persisted for years. He has spent the past two seasons bouncing back and forth between Triple-A and the majors, and with the offseason trade acquisition of Hunter Renfroe, no longer has a starting spot in the Angels outfield.

Given extended, everyday playing time in the second half last year, Adell hit .212/.259/.353 and struck out in 38.9% of his plate appearances.

Scout’s Take: “I always thought Adell, for a player that was ranked in the Top 10 (Prospects), was one of the most raw overall players I’d ever seen. I couldn’t believe the Angels sent him to Triple-A in 2019 and put him in the majors in 2020. He didn’t know how to scoop a ball in the outfield. He didn’t know how to get into throwing position. He could read and react to certain pitches and hit them to the moon, but he needed time to marinate.

“I don’t feel a whole lot different now. He still does some really impressive things at the plate, but I give him 20 (grade) instincts. I don’t see a confident player, either. I think he’s a guy who can occasionally make a swing look beautiful, it’s just the whole rest of the game—defense, baserunning, overall instincts—is so far behind. I wouldn’t bet on him at this point.”

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Scout’s Take: “I always thought Adell, for a player that was ranked in the Top 10 (Prospects), was one of the most raw overall players I’d ever seen. I couldn’t believe the Angels sent him to Triple-A in 2019 and put him in the majors in 2020. He didn’t know how to scoop a ball in the outfield. He didn’t know how to get into throwing position. He could read and react to certain pitches and hit them to the moon, but he needed time to marinate.

“I don’t feel a whole lot different now. He still does some really impressive things at the plate, but I give him 20 (grade) instincts. I don’t see a confident player, either. I think he’s a guy who can occasionally make a swing look beautiful, it’s just the whole rest of the game—defense, baserunning, overall instincts—is so far behind. I wouldn’t bet on him at this point.”

This all seems strangely familiar.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

ut the Angels rushed Adell to the majors during the shortened 2020 season despite the fact he had little Triple-A experience, and he was quickly overwhelmed on both sides of the ball. He became more mechanical and robotic amidst those struggles and lost his natural athleticism and confidence on the field

Damn it that’s what happened 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

He didn’t know how to scoop a ball in the outfield. He didn’t know how to get into throwing position. He could read and react to certain pitches and hit them to the moon, but he needed time to marinate.

This is just the opinion of one scout and hindsight adds credence to his opinion, but if this is true and was a consensus among scouts, it’s absolute malpractice by Eppler and his regime.

Rushing Adell to try and spark the offense in the 2020 season was probably one of Eppler’s biggest fails as Angels GM.

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Zero insight into whether or not Carew felt slighted by having been cast aside in favor of MS's crew but teams were all chasing power at the time so, may have just been a wrong time wrong place situation.

He had to, he’s not going to say that.  He’s Rod fucking Carew for Gods sake.  Next we’ll do it with Pujols.

Edited by Revad

37 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Rushing Adell to try and spark the offense in the 2020 season was probably one of Eppler’s biggest fails as Angels GM.

An entire generation of Angels players were rushed.  Some of it was due to a lack of options on hand thanks to the previous regime, but the Adell situation really was inane and there were a few of us who said as much and were drowned out by the "OMG he looks awesome in ST" crowd.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

An entire generation of Angels players were rushed.  Some of it was due to a lack of options on hand thanks to the previous regime, but the Adell situation really was inane and there were a few of us being drowned by the "OMG he looks awesome in ST" crowd.

I was ready for Trout, Marsh and Adell in the outfield.  I was thinking for years.  But they weren’t ready, either of them.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

This is just the opinion of one scout and hindsight adds credence to his opinion, but if this is true and was a consensus among scouts, it’s absolute malpractice by Eppler and his regime.

I kinda wonder if Arte pushed for Adell to be promoted quickly and pressured Eppler into it. I remember lots of people online were clamoring for Jo to be called up and Eppler said (to much fan hostility) that he wasn't ready. Then, suddenly, he was "ready". Except he wasn't. Just makes me think that maybe it was a "call him up or look for a new job" situation. 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t think it was to spark the offense as much as it was to continue his development, which was misguided. 

My recall is that since AAA was canceled during the 2020 season, this was a way to let Adell continue to play and, hopefully, develop quicker by seeing major league pitching at a time when there was no other baseball being played. The most unfortunate part of that decision was that he just wasn't ready, and it did more to hurt him than help him. He still hasn't recovered from it. I'm hopeful his work at driveline this winter will prove fruitful, along with starting the year at salt lake city.