• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jo Adell, at Driveline

15 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

He's not very coordinated out there from what I've seen.  But he's fast an has a strong arm.  And it's already serviceable.  It's just awkward looking because he doesn't move smoothly.  I think repetitions and coaching will allow him to be average statistically but the eye test will often be discordant when he overruns a ball or dives when he shouldn't or gets a really poor jump but still makes the catch.  We're gonna remember those ugly ones which we already do.  Like the ball hitting him in the chest.  

Just a couple of interesting tidbits about his defense while we're on it.  

Statcast measures defense in outs above average.  Which is a metric taking starting position into account and the speed and spot where the ball was hit.  It's not a huge sample of course but where the metric shows he struggled most was against RHed batters.  Causing his jumps to be slow.  Up until 2021, he had spent most of his time in CF and RF.  With most of that time in CF his first few years.  Point being that I think it'll get better as he spends more time there.  Not great probably ever, but better.  

I think he’d be a terrific basketball player.  I’d just post him up on offense and defense both.  Talk about a power forward, damn.  And he belongs in center field, I want the man coming in on the ball and just taking charge in general.  

5 hours ago, Revad said:

I think he’d be a terrific basketball player.  I’d just post him up on offense and defense both.  Talk about a power forward, damn.  And he belongs in center field, I want the man coming in on the ball and just taking charge in general.  

i disagree completely, although i'd be interested to see his defensive metrics in CF only. i know the ball flies truer to the CF, but it's also significantly more difficult to get reads on the ball when it's not hit to the gap favoring LF or RF. my opinion is a CF needs above average instincts for reading the ball or they'll get blown off the play. adell is not that player, in my eyes. perhaps the stats will prove me wrong, assuming there is enough of a sample size.

I heard an interview this week with Rob Refsnyder, who had a bit of a breakout season this year.  He credited it to the work he put in at Driveline.  He talked about how they use the philosophy of the book The Talent Code to work with hitters. The basic philosophy is finding your limits and practicing at the outer edges of those limits, to create deep practice. He mentioned if you struggle with the slider they have you hit off a pitching machine that throws exaggerated sliders. I’m familiar with the Talent Code so it was fascinating on a couple of different levels. 

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

I heard an interview this week with Rob Refsnyder, who had a bit of a breakout season this year.  He credited it to the work he put in at Driveline.  He talked about how they use the philosophy of the book The Talent Code to work with hitters. The basic philosophy is finding your limits and practicing at the outer edges of those limits, to create deep practice. He mentioned if you struggle with the slider they have you hit off a pitching machine that throws exaggerated sliders. I’m familiar with the Talent Code so it was fascinating on a couple of different levels. 

Is it by Daniel Coyle? Want to buy it for my 16 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

before this gets all turned over again and again. EVERYBODY here wants adell to be good. i hope he has a major breakout into an mlb outfielder and leaves us all wondering what voodoo they work at driveline. and if that happens, then as the new owner of the angels, i immediately give the powers that be at driveline a blank check and full access to my minor and major leagues.

Parks And Rec Ben Swartz GIF

On 1/8/2023 at 12:09 PM, Tank said:

Pipe down. Knowledge is good (Emil Fabre, 1964).

btw, I happened upon a Dunkies on Friday. The Boston crème was grocery store quality, but the iced chai latte tea was pretty good. 

I miss Dunkin’, none near the house.

The good news is a Randy’s Donuts was put in about 3-4 miles away.

Edited by Angel Oracle

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I think he should every minute possible there until ST starts.  That's possibly the best his swing has looked, ever.

Typically, I'd hate this saying because it lacks any discernible load mechanism that I teach any of my players. Having said that, because Adell is so strong, and because his swing is so long with difficulty making contact, I think I'm in favor of it. 

I think this can be a very good thing for him. Maybe he has a Torii Hunter type of year where he sacrifices power for average....at least until he gets his feet wet and find some success. Then he can power up. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Typically, I'd hate this saying because it lacks any discernible load mechanism that I teach any of my players. Having said that, because Adell is so strong, and because his swing is so long with difficulty making contact, I think I'm in favor of it. 

I think this can be a very good thing for him. Maybe he has a Torii Hunter type of year where he sacrifices power for average....at least until he gets his feet wet and find some success. Then he can power up. 

I’m no scout but seems like Trout was much longer to the ball earlier in his career.  Adell’s at Driveline figuring things out, he hasn’t given up.  I’m afraid in five years he’s going on another team and be an Angels killer.

Edited by Revad

14 minutes ago, Revad said:

I’m no scout but seems like Trout was much longer to the ball earlier in his career.  Adell’s at Driveline figuring things out, he hasn’t given up.  I’m afraid in five years he’s going on another team and be an Angels killer.

Trout's swing has always been short from what I remember. 

And cool if Adell wants to go somewhere else in five years I guess.  Because that means he'll have earned his starting spot on this team and became cheaply productive.  

Really, all he has to do is turn himself into a league avg OFer by 2024.