• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think we're done...

Torridd

15 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think we'll get...

One of Andrus/Drury/Iglesias for SS

A decent SP who can slot in at 5/6 

A pen guy who has had some MLB success

Not sure if you'd label that as significant 

If Perry had any intention of picking up one of those three Shortstops the deal would have been done by now. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I think the market for those guys started about 24 hours ago when Swanson signed.  

1 hour ago, Angels 1961 said:

No because those players price will go up with big 4 gone

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I disagree. If I'm one of those SS I'm not signing until after the big 4. I want urgency in teams. 

Ok. Let's look at their value.

Andrus is 35 an hs a career 87 OPS+

Drury is 30 and a carer 93 OPS+

Iglesias is 33 and a career 88 OPS+

The market for them is Bench depth. 

We have cheap bench players. 

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

If you say so.  At the same time their market started yesterday.  Andrus had a 3.5 WAR last year.  So if you don’t believe there is value there and if you don’t believe that value increased once the four SS got paid, then you are choosing to ignore supply and demand.  

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Career numbers tend to be overrated. Age and recent trajectory are more meaningful. 

10 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Career numbers tend to be overrated. Age and recent trajectory are more meaningful. 

Recently they were only good last year.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok.  And how did that impact the other four?  Would you say positively?  

I would say some got what they bargained for while others mined fools gold. These guys are fools gold if you are looking for similar seasons. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

I'm not excited about any of them,  but I think they have more value than what you're saying. 

Andrus specifically  looked rejuvenated after being traded last year.  

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2022-in-season-prospect-list/farm-ranking?sort=-1,1&type=100&filter=&pos=&team= - the Rays are ranked #1 in terms of their farm system and 9 grade 50 FV or higher prospects. They are always a top 3 organization in terms of their farm system, always in the MLB playoff race, and operate at very low payrolls.  They are a remarkably run team.  I remember Friedman saying his goal was to build such a strong infrastructure that he could leave and the organization would not miss a beat.  And incidentally, he accomplished just that, as this organization is just as strong even after he left.

Much admiration for that franchise to stay this competitive for this long despite playing in arguably the most competitive division for many years.

Here's the crazy part.  23 of the players on their 40 man were acquired via trade.  6 starting position players, 2 on their bench, 3 in their rotation, and 4 in their pen.  The way they turn over the guys that are getting expensive is just so impressive.  And then a bunch of other trades that seem like nothing burgers like getting Yandy Diaz or Jeff Springs 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

that's not their value.  Which is why you're probably confused.  

And don't get me wrong.  What's left on the FA market is dookie.  But if the option is to go into the season with what we have right now vs. adding someone of league average value to create some mediocre redundancy, then I choose the latter.  I'll even take someone like Josh Harrison over leaving it alone.  

47 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Andrus specifically  looked rejuvenated after being traded last year.  

How much of that was his moving from a park with a HR index of 0.711 to the third best HR park in MLB at 1.250?   We can quantify the park index, how do we quantify his rejuvenation? 

31 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

And don't get me wrong.  What's left on the FA market is dookie.  But if the option is to go into the season with what we have right now vs. adding someone of league average value to create some mediocre redundancy, then I choose the latter.  I'll even take someone like Josh Harrison over leaving it alone.  

I don't know if he can handle SS anymore, but given the quality defenders they have the roster Segura's bat looks like the best option available.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't know if he can handle SS anymore, but given the quality defenders they have the roster Segura's bat looks like the best option available.

I haven't even mentioned Segura because I don't see him as a Minasian guy from a clubhouse standpoint.   I don't know how much of a problem he really is but at the very least, he seems difficult.  

I don't love the idea of leaving SS to Rengifo but I can probably live with it if the option for a MIFer is cheaper at 2b so it allows them to go after another pitcher and/or an OFer.  

45 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

How much of that was his moving from a park with a HR index of 0.711 to the third best HR park in MLB at 1.250?   We can quantify the park index, how do we quantify his rejuvenation? 

image.pngHis away stats for the year were better than what I thought.

I never wanted Andrus, but that is where we're at. I like him more than Drury. I like Segura, but don't think calling him a SS is really fair. 

21 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I haven't even mentioned Segura because I don't see him as a Minasian guy from a clubhouse standpoint.   I don't know how much of a problem he really is but at the very least, he seems difficult.  

I’ve wondered about that, but:

a. I don’t know credible those rumors are about Segura.

b. Minasian brought in Hunter Strickland once, so I don’t think a bad clubhouse presence would automatically eliminate someone if there’s a belief that player can benefit the team. (Chapman is a different story since his issues are more personal in addition to the baseball side)