• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where do the Angels go from here the rest of this offseason?

BTH

Where do the Angels go from here?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where do the Angels go from here?

• Major Moves
    • Significant Moves
    • Moderate Moves
    • Fringe Moves

I picked significant move. They’ve already upgraded the rotation and  right field and didn’t go cheap on either. But the real move that gives me hope that this is the season they finally build a roster is the Urshela move. They paid $8 million for an insurance policy guy. They could have just as easily used Thaiss as the guy at first base in case Walsh didn’t return to form. That’s exactly what I expected because Thaiss is out of options. So when Perry says he’s not done I believe we will be looking at a new SS and at least one or two bullpen arms. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I picked significant move. They’ve already upgraded the rotation and  right field and didn’t go cheap on either. But the real move that gives me hope that this is the season they finally build a roster is the Urshela move. They paid $8 million for an insurance policy guy. They could have just as easily used Thaiss as the guy at first base in case Walsh didn’t return to form. That’s exactly what I expected because Thaiss is out of options. So when Perry says he’s not done I believe we will be looking at a new SS and at least one or two bullpen arms. 

Plus a SP

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

Plus a SP

If they sign a starting pitcher that gets a major league contract then I believe they are going ALL IN. We have enough depth to pitch Canning, Davidson, CRod, Barria, Bush, Silseth in the 6th spot. Maybe a Lorenzon type gets signed, someone who has pen experience. But starting pitcher would come after 4th outfielder on my depth chart. Here’s my order of preference:

SS

RP

RP

4th OF

SP

C

It still comes down to the quality of the player. If Rodon or Verlander were options they’d probably be my second choice over SS. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If they sign a starting pitcher that gets a major league contract then I believe they are going ALL IN. We have enough depth to pitch Canning, Davidson, CRod, Barria, Bush, Silseth in the 6th spot. Maybe a Lorenzon type gets signed, someone who has pen experience. But starting pitcher would come after 4th outfielder on my depth chart. Here’s my order of preference:

SS

RP

RP

4th OF

SP

C

It still comes down to the quality of the player. If Rodon or Verlander were options they’d probably be my second choice over SS. 

I do not think they need a fourth OF. Moniak and Adell will do. Sign OF to minor league deal. Lorenzen adds depth and gives time for both Bush and Silseth. Davidson out of options so I think he gets DFA.

If this team is pretty limited financially moving forward, which I suspect they are, then I think there actually might be some interesting options in the upcoming rule 5 draft that can perhaps help fill a 4th OF spot or RP spot.

Teams like the Dodgers and Rays have a lot of intriguing options who are exposed, likely due to the fact that there's too much talent on their existing roster and they can't really accommodate guys who aren't projected to make their team or be a useful enough trade piece.  Guys who likely wouldn't make their team or mainly just be an up-and-down option for them could help us solidify our bullpen depth and bench.

4 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

I do not think they need a fourth OF. Moniak and Adell will do. Sign OF to minor league deal. Lorenzen adds depth and gives time for both Bush and Silseth. Davidson out of options so I think he gets DFA.

Moniak and Adell are frightening as depth.  Look at Trout and Ward - both were hurt for large chunks last year.  If that happens again, we suddenly have an outfield of LF Adell, CF Moniak, RF Renfroe.  That's very frightening to me.  We need another OF, IMO.  Then, at least if the above scenario plays out, then you have only one of Moniak or Adell in the majors (likely Moniak), with the other in AAA.

2 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I think Perry already went after someone who can play 1B.

Gio Urshela will most likely get the starts at 1B Jared Walsh won't this year. Perry has already said Urshela willl play multiple positions and he said 1B is a natural spot for him. How many games he plays at 1B will depend on which Walsh the Angels have in 2023. The 2021 version is what we are all hoping for, but Urshela will still get PA's against LHP's. The 2022 version of Walsh, .220/.274/.387/.660 versus RHP's, means Urshela is our everyday 1B and Walsh is on the bench or in SLC or with another team.

I know he said that, but I think they need to plan on primarily using Urshela at 3B and maybe 2B or SS.

He’s not gonna come out and say “we need insurance for Rendon because he has had injuries all three seasons with the Angels” but I think it’s implied that the biggest reason for acquiring Urshela is insurance for Rendon at 3B.

They’re an injury away from Urshela being pressed into everyday playing time, which eliminates the ability to use him at 1B— highlighting why they could always use more depth.

2 hours ago, jordan said:

For the past several off seasons, I’ve been expecting major moves and nothing.  This off season I haven’t been expecting major moves, primarily due to the pending sale, and we probably get major moves. At least rumors so far are leading that way. 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The nicest thing about this winter for me has been expecting nothing.   Everything that has happened has been a pleasant surprise.   So, gonna continue to expect nothing.

I felt similarly, but now that they’ve made these moves, my expectation is raised a bit and I want them to at least polish off some parts of the roster that can be addressed more cheaply than other spots (bullpen and 4th OF).

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

But the real move that gives me hope that this is the season they finally build a roster is the Urshela move. They paid $8 million for an insurance policy guy.

Yeah, that’s the move that changed my expectation level.

If you’re paying that much for a backup infielder— who, granted, likely is gonna get 500+ plate appearances— you better be willing to pay the price to upgrade the rest of your roster.

But there’s also part of me that worries that they mis-utilized their resources by spending $9M for a backup and will short-change other areas, since I’ve seen them short-change the roster before.

46 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

If this team is pretty limited financially moving forward, which I suspect they are, then I think there actually might be some interesting options in the upcoming rule 5 draft that can perhaps help fill a 4th OF spot or RP spot.

They have an open 40-man spot right now, so I hope they utilize that to upgrade their roster in some fashion.

I think the best rule 5 picks tend to be players who’ve performed in the upper-levels rather than players who have good stuff or tools.

Don’t pick another Jose Alberto Rivera.

I’d like to see them take the approach that the Guardians and Red Sox did with Stephan and Whitlock by picking a starter with good stuff who they convert to the bullpen in the majors where their stuff plays up. 

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If you’re paying that much for a backup infielder— who, granted, likely is gonna get 500+ plate appearances— you better be willing to pay the price to upgrade the rest of your roster.

But there’s also part of me that worries that they mis-utilized their resources by spending $9M for a backup and will short-change other areas, since I’ve seen them short-change the roster before.

Minasian said this he wanted to add depth. When Rendon went down halos had nothing to replace him. Urshela adds that at many positions. I still think Walsh could be traded. Thaiss and Urshela could play 1B.

4 minutes ago, Trendon said:

The only two places to short change going forward is SS and bullpen and with the bullpen you really have no idea if the guys you spend money on will perform. 

9 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Minasian said this he wanted to add depth. When Rendon went down halos had nothing to replace him. Urshela adds that at many positions. I still think Walsh could be traded. Thaiss and Urshela could play 1B.

If you trade Walsh, that just thins out your depth even more.

If one player gets injured, your depth decreases because Urshela now has to play everyday. And if someone else gets hurt, there’s no Urshela-type backup for that player— which is why they need to add more depth.

17 minutes ago, Trendon said:

If you trade Walsh, that just thins out your depth even more.

If one player gets injured, your depth decreases because Urshela now has to play everyday. And if someone else gets hurt, there’s no Urshela-type backup for that player— which is why they need to add more depth.

Trade Walsh for SS or closer like Barlow.

I go back and forth on this. Every year I say they need to go for it, and they end up making mediocre additions. There's a lot of uncertainty this off-season, so it seems on one hand an odd time to go all in. What gives me hope, as others have mentioned, is the fact that they've spent a lot already on depth and said they're not done. Also, the general sense from the industry and fans that time is running out for this core to make a run if they don't go big soon. 

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

No idea. I look at the roster payroll and think a handful of fringe moves and maybe a moderate move, but while I don't expect anything major or significant, wouldn't be surprised if something big happens.

BIG SPLASH Arte going out the door

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

No idea. I look at the roster payroll and think a handful of fringe moves and maybe a moderate move, but while I don't expect anything major or significant, wouldn't be surprised if something big happens.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I felt similarly, but now that they’ve made these moves, my expectation is raised a bit and I want them to at least polish off some parts of the roster that can be addressed more cheaply than other spots (bullpen and 4th OF).

I have felt the same. With the moves that have been made, and the quickness they’ve been made in, give me an impression that big moves could be made.  But overall, I will temper these expectations and tell myself, nothing will likely happen. 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

They have an open 40-man spot right now, so I hope they utilize that to upgrade their roster in some fashion.

I think the best rule 5 picks tend to be players who’ve performed in the upper-levels rather than players who have good stuff or tools.

Don’t pick another Jose Alberto Rivera.

I’d like to see them take the approach that the Guardians and Red Sox did with Stephan and Whitlock by picking a starter with good stuff who they convert to the bullpen in the majors where their stuff plays up. 

There are some intriguing prospects that I feel can be poached and would be upgrades for us.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/40-man-roster-deadline-analysis-nl-west/

This is a solid series to look at some names for guys who can be poached from well-stocked teams.  They do it for each team.  There are several Dodgers who, just eyeballing some of their minor league numbers, seem like they'd be good candidates to help buffer our bench and/or pen.

8 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

There are some intriguing prospects that I feel can be poached and would be upgrades for us.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/40-man-roster-deadline-analysis-nl-west/

This is a solid series to look at some names for guys who can be poached from well-stocked teams.  They do it for each team.  There are several Dodgers who, just eyeballing some of their minor league numbers, seem like they'd be good candidates to help buffer our bench and/or pen.

Yeah, the Dodgers have a bunch of corner infielders who have performed at the upper levels.

Ryan Noda, Devin Mann, and Ryan Ward among them.

Other names I like from other teams:

Blake Sabol, Andres Chapparo, Malcom Nuñez, Ronny Simon, Mason Englert, and Thad Ward.

8 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Yeah, the Dodgers have a bunch of corner infielders who have performed at the upper levels.

Ryan Noda, Devin Mann, and Ryan Ward among them.

Other names I like from other teams:

Blake Sabol, Andres Chapparo, Malcom Nuñez, Ronny Simon, Mason Englert, and Thad Ward.

Yeah - these aren't moves you make that push you over the edge, but I feel these could be useful, "raise the floor" type moves in that some of these guys have played very well in AAA, and conceivably should already be MLB players but have been buried by a supremely talented organization.

Noda and Mann are the two position players who would intrigue me the most, as they both have significant time in AAA.  Noda honestly seems like he'd be an offensive upgrade over Walsh, and can play LF (though reportedly he is below average in the OF from what I'm reading).  Ward is a RHH and has incredible positional versatility, but I think that he may not project as well offensively.  I think I'd take a gamble on Noda, and if he doesn't look good, then he can just easily be returned without an issue.  Guy has posted a 15% or better BB% every single year, and his lowest wRC+ has been 120.  I am always bullish on players who have very high walk rates and promising degrees of power, even if they aren't as positionally versatile.