• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where do the Angels go from here the rest of this offseason?

BTH

Where do the Angels go from here?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Where do the Angels go from here?

• Major Moves
    • Significant Moves
    • Moderate Moves
    • Fringe Moves

After adding Anderson, Urshela, and Renfroe, my question is where do the Angels go from here the rest of this offseason?

Do they make major moves, significant moves, moderate moves, or fringe moves?

I’d categorize those as:

Major: 7-figure deal or blockbuster trade.

Significant: 2+ year deal or trade for someone with multiple years of control.

Moderate: 1-2 year deal or trade for someone in their last year of team control.

Fringe: Archie Bradley or Matt Duffy type signings for 1-year and under $5 million and minor league free agents.

Hoping for more significant moves. One more really solid bat somewhere would go a long way in helping contend.  It would be great if that was Turner, Correa, or Boegarts but I think if we added a big upgrade at another less obvious position, we could absorb the lack of offense and let Velazquez's great D play. Maybe at first or catcher? I don't think it's wise to spend on relief pitchers due to the volatility, but adding another solid starter would be valuable also. Right now we have likely black holes offensively at catcher and SS, along with no guarantee that Ward, Walsh, or Rengifo are above average bats (I'm hopeful about Ward and Rengifo continuing to improve, less so with Walsh, but none of them can definitely be counted on at this point IMO). If we get lucky and 2 of those 3 are productive and healthy, that leaves 3 holes in the lineup still, and that's assuming our stars stay healthy .  One more bat that slots in somewhere between the stars and the Renfroe/Urshela/2022 Ward level would sure be nice.

Edited by halodground

I’d be in favor of adding Senga.  The Angels have a strong Japanese following from Ohtani, why not leverage that and add Senga.  Then if Ohtani leaves some of the Japanese revenue will remain.  I’ve been out of the loop for a bit but haven’t seen any rumors that the Angels have interest, but I’d think Senga would be a significant upgrade to the staff.  Having the sixth SP slot open to rotate some of the depth through makes sense but injuries will provide plenty of opportunities.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/the-opener-adames-senga-yoshida.html

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

After adding Anderson, Urshela, and Renfroe, my question is where do the Angels go from here the rest of this offseason?

Do they make major moves, significant moves, moderate moves, or fringe moves?

I’d categorize those as:

Major: 7-figure deal or blockbuster trade.

Significant: 2+ year deal or trade for someone with multiple years of control.

Moderate: 1-2 year deal or trade for someone in their last year of team control.

Fringe: Archie Bradley or Matt Duffy type signings for 1-year and under $5 million and minor league free agents.

I voted for moderate.  Minasian has shown himself to be creative in how he maneuvers and I would not be surprised to see him add a few more options.  I am assuming that there's somewhere around 15mil or so left to spend.

Some options for SS:  Rosario, Kiner-Falefa, Wendle, Rojas, and various other guys who have 1-2 years left and won't cost a ton of prospect currency.

I foresee a backup catcher being added too, and probably one modest reliever to go along with all the other flyer-type acquisitions.

5 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I think more moves on coming. Maybe a BIG SPLASH as Arte walks out the door. We have no idea how much money Perry has to work with. 

Okay, out of curiosity, has an owner who is in the process of selling their team EVER spent a huge amount of money on a player acquisition on their way out?  

25 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Okay, out of curiosity, has an owner who is in the process of selling their team EVER spent a huge amount of money on a player acquisition on their way out?  

The Nationals offered Juan Soto a huge contract. Maybe everybody should stop talking about a top SS. BiG SPLASH is coming.

I don't see any way they don't make at least one more move that's significant. I do not think the starting shortstop is on the roster right now, and I'd call that significant enough. There's no way they sign Correa for more than 8 years, so I think if they have a shot at anyone it's either Swanson or Bogaerts at 6 years. They can slide either of those two or Neto to 2nd if needed. And they will get one more pitcher, most likely a Lorenzen type to be depth. There are also trades they can make to upgrade, such as Suarez + Rengifo for an upgrade at SP. 

I think what some are missing is that by improving the roster, even with multi-year deals, Arte is improving the sale price. 

4 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

so I think if they have a shot at anyone it's either Swanson or Bogaerts at 6 years.

Even that feels like a stretch to me, wince they're only $26.5M under the luxury tax threshold.

5 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

There are also trades they can make to upgrade, such as Suarez + Rengifo for an upgrade at SP. 

I don’t see them getting that creative. If they add another SP or middle infielder, I think they hold onto everyone for depth purposes.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

The Angels are right there near their max payroll under Arte, so I figure from here, you'll see a whole bunch of "depth" moves. Maybe a cheap starting pitcher under 5 million and then a whole bunch of Spring Training invites in an attempt to build a bullpen. 

That’s where I’m at too.

Like I said earlier, I hope I’m wrong, but recent history tells us they’re likely close to maxed out payroll-wise.

6 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I voted for moderate.  Minasian has shown himself to be creative in how he maneuvers and I would not be surprised to see him add a few more options.  I am assuming that there's somewhere around 15mil or so left to spend.

Some options for SS:  Rosario, Kiner-Falefa, Wendle, Rojas, and various other guys who have 1-2 years left and won't cost a ton of prospect currency.

I foresee a backup catcher being added too, and probably one modest reliever to go along with all the other flyer-type acquisitions.

I’m not sure there’s as much as $15M left to spend. If there is, then they would at least figure to be in that moderate tier.

Those SS options make the most sense, if they go that route. I’d say Rosario is very unlikely though.

After re-signing Wallach, I think they just go with one of O’Hoppe/Thaiss/Wallach to pair with Stassi.

9 hours ago, Revad said:

I’d be in favor of adding Senga.  The Angels have a strong Japanese following from Ohtani, why not leverage that and add Senga.  Then if Ohtani leaves some of the Japanese revenue will remain.  I’ve been out of the loop for a bit but haven’t seen any rumors that the Angels have interest, but I’d think Senga would be a significant upgrade to the staff.  Having the sixth SP slot open to rotate some of the depth through makes sense but injuries will provide plenty of opportunities.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/the-opener-adames-senga-yoshida.html

Morosi tweeted that the Angels had interest in Senga, but then they signed Anderson and we haven’t heard anything since.

10 hours ago, halodground said:

One more bat that slots in somewhere between the stars and the Renfroe/Urshela/2022 Ward level would sure be nice.

Depending on the price, I wouldn’t mind going after someone who could play 1B and using Walsh in 1B/LF/RF.

Bell or Mancini are the top options. Maybe even Voit? He’s another guy with ties to Nevin and Thames, and he’d be cheaper than Bell or Mancini.

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

I’m not sure there’s as much as $15M left to spend. If there is, then they would at least figure to be in that moderate tier.

Those SS options make the most sense, if they go that route. I’d say Rosario is very unlikely though.

After re-signing Wallach, I think they just go with one of O’Hoppe/Thaiss/Wallach to pair with Stassi.

Yeah, maybe not $15mil.  Maybe they can pluck Wendle from the Marlins, who is projected to be just a tad under $6mil next year.  He grades out decently enough as SS and can also cover 2B/3B.  If anything, he'd be a solid "improve the floor" kind of option that we need to help improve depth.

I keep forgetting about Wallach - yeah, it's possible that maybe he is the depth piece.  I have trouble believing the FO will give Thaiss a decent run at backup catcher, just because they seem to place a tremendous priority on defense at catcher, and I'm not really sure if Thaiss rates that well.

The areas that need the most attention, in order for me:  SS, backup OF, RP.  I say backup OF, just because the current depth and backup options are awfully concerning, and just given the health history of our OF, it seems likely that we will need to heavily rely on at least 1-2 backups, and I would really prefer that not be Moniak and Adell.  Moniak, to me, would be okay as option #5 (after the 3 starting OF and a backup), and Adell as option #6 (after the 3 starting OF, a backup, and Moniak).

For the past several off seasons, I’ve been expecting major moves and nothing.  This off season I haven’t been expecting major moves, primarily due to the pending sale, and we probably get major moves. At least rumors so far are leading that way. 

8 hours ago, Trendon said:

Depending on the price, I wouldn’t mind going after someone who could play 1B and using Walsh in 1B/LF/RF.

Bell or Mancini are the top options. Maybe even Voit? He’s another guy with ties to Nevin and Thames, and he’d be cheaper than Bell or Mancini.

I think Perry already went after someone who can play 1B.

Gio Urshela will most likely get the starts at 1B Jared Walsh won't this year. Perry has already said Urshela willl play multiple positions and he said 1B is a natural spot for him. How many games he plays at 1B will depend on which Walsh the Angels have in 2023. The 2021 version is what we are all hoping for, but Urshela will still get PA's against LHP's. The 2022 version of Walsh, .220/.274/.387/.660 versus RHP's, means Urshela is our everyday 1B and Walsh is on the bench or in SLC or with another team.