• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

I think we end up with someone in the Lorenzen/Lugo bucket.  Given we already have 5 SPs, that would seem to make the most sense, given we have a (likely) limited budget and bigger needs elsewhere.

It is strange to say this, but I think our greatest organizational strength at the moment is actually SP.

20 Pitchers in 20 slots in the draft certainly helped.

I think maybe Richards as a reclamation project? 

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think we end up with someone in the Lorenzen/Lugo bucket.  Given we already have 5 SPs, that would seem to make the most sense, given we have a (likely) limited budget and bigger needs elsewhere.

It is strange to say this, but I think our greatest organizational strength at the moment is actually SP.

I agree.  I just have no idea on how guys like Canning CRod are doing.  Lorenzen and his pen experience seems like a good choice.  

6 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I agree.  I just have no idea on how guys like Canning CRod are doing.  Lorenzen and his pen experience seems like a good choice.  

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

True, but Andrus >> Fletcher at SS. Rengifo at 2B, Urshela and Walsh at 1B, Rendon at 3B. Fletcher and Soto as backups. 

Do you really want to give Rengifo the everyday job at 2B with his sub .300 OBP?

I get that it's tainted by his June. But his August and Sept were also poor in regards to OBP.

I say a Platoon works best there. Ride the hot bat.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Do you really want to give Rengifo the everyday job at 2B with his sub .300 OBP?

I get that it's tainted by his June. But his August and Sept were also poor in regards to OBP.

I'd like to build off Rengifo's breakout year. While his OBP was poor this past season, let's not forget that he's got a minor league lifetime OBP of .361 and has posted seasons with a .399, .386 and .384 on base pct's in the minors. 

I mean.... i'm in. Although if you DO sign Ohtani to an extension then that's what? over $900M guaranteed in the matter of one season?

Edited by angelsnationtalk

16 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yeah.  Honestly, I would not necessarily count on them, especially CRod given his extensive injury history.

That said, Silseth projects as our 6th SP.  Davis is probably a decent up-and-down option.  I think Ky Bush probably is on track to make his MLB debut too.  When you factor in that 4 of our current SPs have at least 3 years of control remaining, I think we're pretty solid.

But I agree that we likely need another SP option.  Davidson was mentioned in another thread, and while he could be an option, he has more of the look of a long reliever at this point.

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I mean.... i'm in. Although if you DO sign Ohtani to an extension then that's what? over $900M guaranteed in the matter of one season?

This is kind of in the "not my money" kind of thinking.  I mean I agree on the surface, but truthfully, I'd pass on Rodon and just wait for the next two FA SP classes, all of which are very strong.  I like the SPs in those free agency classes better than Rodon.

But yeah, that said, that plan above adds over 60mil of luxury tax to the current team.  It would be very, very shocking to see that pivot done suddenly.  

26 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This is kind of in the "not my money" kind of thinking.  I mean I agree on the surface, but truthfully, I'd pass on Rodon and just wait for the next two FA SP classes, all of which are very strong.  I like the SPs in those free agency classes better than Rodon.

But yeah, that said, that plan above adds over 60mil of luxury tax to the current team.  It would be very, very shocking to see that pivot done suddenly.  

If my memory serves me, 1). most of the FA starting pitchers next year are older, and 2). you have to wait a year to even have a crack at them rather than adding that impact arm in 2023.

If the Angels have any interest in signing a premium starter, you chase Rodon now instead of waiting.

42 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Why would Arte do this?

At this point he doesn’t really have any incentive to spend another dime. He’s not upping the value of this team by signing two massive long terms deals before walking out the door. If he was going to do this it would’ve been last year. Gave it one last go before selling. I can’t imagine he would be thrilled if he signed these guys and then watched the new owners celebrate a WS championship 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

To Rengifo has earned that spot. Speed and power and he will get better. Who gets 2B Tyler Wade? Many teams talk trade name they always ask about Rengifo. 

19 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If my memory serves me, 1). most of the FA starting pitchers next year are older, and 2). you have to wait a year to even have a crack at them rather than adding that impact arm in 2023.

If the Angels have any interest in signing a premium starter, you chase Rodon now instead of waiting.

i just don't see a premium starter as a need.  I would not chase one with Rodon's health history, at least not on a 7 year commitment.  We also have tons of LHP too - Anderson, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers.  Bush is a LHP too.  I would pass on Rodon.

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Important to keep in mind, the aggression the Angels have shown in free agency under Minasian, even going back a couple of years, is filled with short term contracts. 

Correa would require a long term deal. 

Was thinking the same thing. Perry hasn't made any flashy moves since being the GM. 
Track record wouldn't suggest he's about to do it, either.

Although the Contreras interest was...... interesting.

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Lol!  Don’t believe this guy has sources, but that aside, there are some guys there I wouldn’t mind getting.  May and Knebel would seem like solid options, though I’m not sure about Knebel’s health status

Yeah, I mean, if you list a bunch of the at-least-halfway-decent relievers who are available, there's a good chance the Angels would be in on at least one of them.  It's not rocket science.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Why would Arte do this?

At this point he doesn’t really have any incentive to spend another dime. He’s not upping the value of this team by signing two massive long terms deals before walking out the door. If he was going to do this it would’ve been last year. Gave it one last go before selling. I can’t imagine he would be thrilled if he signed these guys and then watched the new owners celebrate a WS championship 

Why has he spent $70 million on 2023’s payroll since announcing the team was for sale?