• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (8/21/22): Angels @ Tigers - Ohtani pitching

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

Fact: you're a fuckwit.

Funny enough, I use the term fuckwit now and then. And had no idea it was an actual word.

Seeing you use it not only gives me a feeling of validation, but you being a Britt and all, also makes me feel like I'm better and more well read than a lot of other people when I say it now.

I'll also add here that calling people Muppets has become one of my go tos the past few years. No idea why, but used properly, it's a great put down.

29 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

I see what you're saying, but again I ask, is Ohtani unduly affected by this compared to other pitchers? A review of several million umpire calls was made a few years ago and this was one of the findings:

When batters had two strikes, the error rate for all umpires increased – incorrect calls happen 29 percent of the time, almost double the error rate when the batter had one or no strikes.

So it could be that when Ohtani gets these bad calls you are having a more emotional response because of how it impacts the game, but according to the research it happens to most, if not all pitchers in pressure situations.

Not trying to be difficult here, chap, I just like to fact check everything. Here's a link to a summary of the 2018 analysis: https://theconversation.com/an-analysis-of-nearly-4-million-pitches-shows-just-how-many-mistakes-umpires-make-114874

No worries.  Thanks for the link.  I'll definitely read into it.

When I pit the starting pitchers head to head, I make sure bad calls or favorable calls are dispersed randomly and equally as possible towards both pitchers regardless of game situation because Umps are obviously human and mistake prone.  But another thing that makes us human is bias as well.  Sub-consciously or not.  For Ohtani's sake what ever he is doing or not doing on the mound or just being himself is not helping his cause.  He is just not being treated fairly, I confidently posit.  Aaron Judge for sure is not being treated fairly with those below the zone strike calls.  It is what it is until we administer in Robo-umps for the sake of fairness for everybody.

26 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Funny enough, I use the term fuckwit now and then. And had no idea it was an actual word.

Seeing you use it not only gives me a feeling of validation, but you being a Britt and all, also makes me feel like I'm better and more well read than a lot of other people when I say it now.

I'll also add here that calling people Muppets has become one of my go tos the past few years. No idea why, but used properly, it's a great put down.

Yes, muppet is a nice put-down - I like the implication that the muppet in question is just regurgitating somebody else's thoughts rather than using their own reasoning.

When their reasoning is askew, I also like to use 'numpty', or 'pillock'.  

1 hour ago, BliaYang6 said:

Thanks for your reply!  This is my internal monologue I go through every start "Be as fair with your judgement down the middle as you can for both starting pitchers when observing the game."  Here's what I posted on an MLB.com upload:

Until we get robo-umps Ohtani will continue to get screwed over via umpire bias. Every time a high stakes situation takes place he'll get a timely dubious ball called on a strike throw. He rarely ever gets an out-of-the-strike-zone strike call either. On the flip side the opponent rarely ever gets a dubious ball called on a strike throw. On top of that they'll get a few dubious out-of-the-strike-zone strike calls in their favor. This is when the stakes are high with runners in scoring position and/or a full count for both pitchers. This allows the opponent to strand the runners on base and also screw Ohtani with runners on base costing him runs.

Only when the stakes are low with 0-0 count and/or no runners in scoring position then the ump will subtly give Ohtani some "make-up" calls to appease the fans, Ohtani, etc., whilst taking away some of those favorable calls to the opposing pitcher prior when the stakes were high and also giving him some dubious calls to "even" things out. That's how Ohtani loses out on those close games when it's a game of inches.  /End

If I can gather footage from every Ohtani start games.  I'm confident enough to say the umpire bias is there against him.

So you think this is a conspiracy. You believe umpires are doing this to spite Ohtani? Really?

7 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

So you think this is a conspiracy. You believe umpires are doing this to spite Ohtani? Really?

I will definitely look into it in the off-season on the pitching end.  It's pretty obvious that Judge gets terrible calls as well along with Ohtani at the plate.  There are plenty of YouTube uploads on that end.  What ever reason behind it, it's not fair.  Not even a Judge fan but the point is, fairness for all.

40 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The key to being considered a true gentleman is the proper usage of fuckwit.  Oxford actually has a fuckwit 101 class.

I too get a kick out of the Muppet thing.

Ohtani is doing things no other player attempts. Maybe it's time for a few days off. Been a very long season with little support in lineup around him. I'm sure he feels pressure to try and carry this team. This winter will be very interesting what halos do. Do they try and hope Trout and Rendon stay healthy? This team long way from contending and as season drags on, I wonder what Ohtani is thinking. Losing frustrates fans and I'm sure it's taken a toll on Ohtani. What kind of numbers could he put up with a good lineup around him?

38 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Ohtani is doing things no other player attempts. Maybe it's time for a few days off. Been a very long season with little support in lineup around him. I'm sure he feels pressure to try and carry this team. This winter will be very interesting what halos do. Do they try and hope Trout and Rendon stay healthy? This team long way from contending and as season drags on, I wonder what Ohtani is thinking. Losing frustrates fans and I'm sure it's taken a toll on Ohtani. What kind of numbers could he put up with a good lineup around him?

I had high hopes for the season as we all did but could the Angels be cursed?  Trout is having the worst hitting season of his career but his homerun hit rate is his best though.  And that's still pretty damn good numbers for the league illustrating how elite Trout is.  Ward may have regressed to the mean and it's a down year for Walsh.  I've always thought Fletch was the second or third best hitter on the team for just getting on base so consistently AND when he was gone Rengifo (Fletcher 2.0) took on that role and have been the spark lately.  And now it's an awesome sight to have both of them in the lineup and being the spark.  Hope Trout and Ohtani maintain their usual self and the whole team finishes strong for some end-of-season morale.

It's a collective effort and as long as everyone tries their best there's really no faulting anyone when providing run support for any one starting pitcher on the mound.  It's just the umps that gets to me.

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The key to being considered a true gentleman is the proper usage of fuckwit.  Oxford actually has a fuckwit 101 class.

I too get a kick out of the Muppet thing.

We may have won the war, but the Britts get the last laugh a few hundred years later.

I want to use "daft" too, but it doesn't have the sting here.

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I love using "muppets". 

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

We may have won the war, but the Britts get the last laugh a few hundred years later.

I want to use "daft" too, but it doesn't have the sting here.

I used it once. 

I stuck with dumbass.

On 8/21/2022 at 2:28 PM, eligrba said:

Here is one possible source..

cs7o4293rsv81.jpg

I wonder what Aaron Judges rate is? I'm going to guess it's maybe half of this, if not less. 

If Ohtani was on the Stankees I'd wager he'd have a lot more calls going his way...on BOTH sides of the plate. 

Bring on the Computers!

On 8/21/2022 at 2:59 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I’ve been saying all year, it’s all the extra movement Ohtani has been doing in the box this year that is influencing this.

Let's be honest, it's because he's wearing an Angel uniform.