• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Team ERA currently 3.90, 6th best in AL

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

6th out of 15 teams isn't anything to brag about, IMO

The overall numbers are being dulled by the pen, and the park's tendencies.   Using starting pitching fWAR they rank 10th in MLB at 9.0, tied with TB and just behind the NYY 9.1.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

The K rate has been 6th best in MLB, the HR rate also 6th best, really the only thing that's been kind of crappy has been the walk rate..  

The pen ranks 15th/16th tied with the Cards at 2.1 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=20,d

The pen being league average will likely surprise people, I think it's more of an indication of them having either been on, or completely off as we have all seen.

So..  RP volatility at it's finest.

That's really impressive...

1) 6 out of 15 may not impress TG... but don't tell the 2002 WS champs where their rotation landed...

2) The #6 staff, with the #6 offense should put you square in the playoff hunt...

3) Unfortunately, that ERA includes Thor and Iglesies, whom we'll need to backfill for... so yeah - we will still need pitching...

5 hours ago, T.G. said:

Where do they rank on defense?

Not last!

They ended last year with a DRS figure of negative 29.  They are sitting at plus 2 right now.    But Marsh was second on the team at plus 6 and he's been replaced by Jo Adell who is sitting at negative 7.   Losing Syndergaard actually helps, his inability to keep runners at 1B means he had a negative 6 -- Lagares, neg 4, Villar, neg 3, being gone likely also helps.

Yeah. The offensive depth has been the problem this season, not the pitching.

The stats back it up, and it'll be plainly obvious who does/doesn't watch the Angels in the offseason when some insiders/reporters/analysts inevitably claim the Angels problem is pitching.

I think a number of Angels fans saw this issue coming during the offseason, which was why many wanted to see the Angels get a SS.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

Seriously though they need to add 3-4 offensive pieces, including a RH 1B platoon partner who can play the OF too...

A starting MINF allowing Rengifo and Fletcher to platoon at 2nd and fill in at SS and 3rd.

A backup C who can actually hit.

Maybe a starting OF.

I think they need to add a starting SS, 1B, and OF along with a backup C.

They need a SS who is good on both sides of the ball.

The biggest need may be to add more SLG%. The easiest way to do that is to upgrade 1B and an OF spot.

They can't count on Walsh bouncing back, IMO. If he does, great, and you can use him at 1B/LF/RF. Likewise, they can't count on Adell/Duggar/Moniak in a starting OF role.

I'm fine with a generic backup C, but the ideal target would be one who crushes LHP since Stassi has reverse splits and does well against RHP.

7 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

But they're 2nd in triples. I don't see the problem here

Would be a great problem to have if we had guys who were able to get those runners in from 3rd. 

I am happy with the direction the pitching is going, it's really too bad our bats haven't been able to show up and support them. 

7 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The overall numbers are being dulled by the pen, and the park's tendencies.   Using starting pitching fWAR they rank 10th in MLB at 9.0, tied with TB and just behind the NYY 9.1.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

The K rate has been 6th best in MLB, the HR rate also 6th best, really the only thing that's been kind of crappy has been the walk rate..  

The pen ranks 15th/16th tied with the Cards at 2.1 

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2022&month=0&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=20,d

The pen being league average will likely surprise people, I think it's more of an indication of them having either been on, or completely off as we have all seen.

So..  RP volatility at it's finest.

I've always found WPA a good indicator of what's been going on for the year in the pen.  It seems to decently match the eye test.  The Angels rank 29th.  

What's interesting about the SP is that we actually have far fewer innings than Hou and NYY and they are the only teams ahead of us in the AL.  

7 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I've always found WPA a good indicator of what's been going on for the year in the pen.  It seems to decently match the eye test.  The Angels rank 29th.  

What's interesting about the SP is that we actually have far fewer innings than Hou and NYY and they are the only teams ahead of us in the AL.  

Agree -- it's a better stat.  SP WPA lines up pretty decently with the fWAR but those RPs...  like you said.. 29th.

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Thats the pen..    SPs still rank 11th.   WPA does a great job of touching on clutch which we have seen the pen has been as un-clutch are any pen we have every had.

Now I'm confused.

Is it too early for ice cream?

19 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think they need to add a starting SS, 1B, and OF along with a backup C.

They need a SS who is good on both sides of the ball.

The biggest need may be to add more SLG%. The easiest way to do that is to upgrade 1B and an OF spot.

They can't count on Walsh bouncing back, IMO. If he does, great, and you can use him at 1B/LF/RF. Likewise, they can't count on Adell/Duggar/Moniak in a starting OF role.

I'm fine with a generic backup C, but the ideal target would be one who crushes LHP since Stassi has reverse splits and does well against RHP.

Sign Trea Turner. 7/231. 

Sign Trey Mancini. 3/42

Sign Omar Navarez. 1/5

Sign Noah Syndergaard. 4/84 

Extend Shohei Ohtani for three additional seasons. 4/172. 

I think the thing about the bullpen's stats are the memorable losses. Iglesias, Tepera, Herget, and Bradley have all had very memorable, devastating games. But overall, I don't think they've been awful. Heck, Even Tepera and Loup seem to be reverting to their normal...which is what Perry said. Now, I think he definitely overestimated their ability and Maddon used them completely wrong. But there is a solid bullpen with a few of those guys combined with a few AAA guys and a handful of AA guys. 

On 8/10/2022 at 11:49 AM, Hubs said:

Sign Trea Turner. 7/231. 

Sign Trey Mancini. 3/42

Sign Omar Navarez. 1/5

With Neto being drafted and clearly fast-tracked (already in AA after a few weeks), I am assuming that's a clear sign the FO is looking at him as our SS of the very near future.  Likely not next year, but that almost assuredly rules out the FO signing someone like Turner or any other star SS to a big deal.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:42 PM, Warfarin said:

With Neto being drafted and clearly fast-tracked (already in AA after a few weeks), I am assuming that's a clear sign the FO is looking at him as our SS of the very near future.  Likely not next year, but that almost assuredly rules out the FO signing someone like Turner or any other star SS to a big deal.

Yes, Clearly. My OP was written the night before he was called up.

They will instead need to fill the MINF Depth problem and get 1 or 2 guys as they did this year. I guess keeping Velazquez for defense is ok, but they need offense. Tyler Wade and Matt Duffy didn't really do that this year, but I guess that's gonna be the same approach. They need depth there. Especially with Rendon being fragile the last two seasons, they need a MINF who can cover 3B as well (or 2B and Fletcher or Rengifo can slide over). Alternately they can get a 1B who can also play 3B but he should be Right Handed so he can platoon with Walsh against lefties. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:49 PM, Hubs said:

Sign Trea Turner. 7/231. 

Sign Trey Mancini. 3/42

Sign Omar Navarez. 1/5

Turner is going to get more than Seager so that's over 325 and he is going back east. Mancini be nice but Syndergaard too much money and years. Ohtani will want 50 a year and will test free agency. I think halos keep in 2023 Ohtani and hope Trout and Rendon stay healthy. I also do not see and long-term contracts this off season. Bullpen I spend 0 dollars they have pieces in place. Upgrade 1B and Mancini or Josh Bell be nice and OF. If Trout and Rendon healthy lineup will improve, but if they are not team will have 8th losing season.