• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How far are you willing to go to protest Arte?

7 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Nice idea Bob, I feel your pain, but it's a waste of time. Manchester United fans have been protesting ownership since the Glasers took over in a highly leveraged deal in 2004. Walk-outs, boycotts, the 'green and gold' campaign, media exposure, even the formation of a breakaway club F.C. United of Manchester has made very little difference. 1000's of hardcore fans deserted the club and were readily replaced by new customers in a heartbeat.

The club still makes a fortune and is one of the top ten sports franchises in the world for revenue, the Glasers still take tens of millions out of the club each year, the hundreds of millions of debt they created to 'buy' the club is still owed (by the club, not the Glasers), the fans still hate it, the hardcore fans find new ways to protest, and nothing changes. 

Nothing you, I, or anyone can do to influence the ownership of a sports franchise we have an interest in, so why get het up about it? Life's a bit crap sometimes isn't it, and it isn't fair but there you go, so we all have to either suck it up or go and watch something else, plenty more franchises and sports and past-times to enjoy other than our beloved but dysfunctional Angels.

Celebrate Major League Baseball GIF by MLB

It doesn't work, trust me 🤣

SEVERAL FANS were wearing “Just say no to L.A.” T-shirts, but I got to the bottom of that. Paul Ollen said he’d been making the shirts and selling them on EBay for $13. “Our peaceful protest,” he said, which then drew a protest from his wife, Judy.

“I’m tired of it,” said Judy, who apparently has been doing more than her full share when it comes to production.

Ollen, meanwhile, asked if he could have his picture taken with me and -- you guessed it -- he put his wife to work again and had her take the picture. Based on the look on her face, I’m not sure we’ll be seeing many more of those “Just say no to L.A.” T-shirts.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2005-feb-13-sp-simers13-story.html

37 minutes ago, floplag said:

I hope this is where we are all at, but me personally im struggling to be supportive right now.  Im not a fan of Artes checkbook/balance sheet, im a fan of the club.  He needs to decide once and for all who he wants to be as an owner.

Arte came in talking about taking the LA market, whatever happened to that?  Hes not a fool he had to know what that was going to take... and this is not it.
He started on a path, then right at the point where is started to get real, everything suddenly changed. 

Cohen has had one year in NY and could fuck up the next 20 and Mets fans will never say a word.   Same with other clubs that no one can doubt they made their best effort to win, Padres etc... Being a fan of those clubs right now must feel amazing. 

Seeing our team fail time after time in recent season each time of fully self inflicted wounds, is becoming very hard to swallow.   There is no version of this that we can give Arte the benefit of the doubt, he has 100% put a financial number, or on field performance.  

I might have believed that was the best we could do till the land deal, i think thats what killed my support if im being honest... there is no reality where he could pull that off, and not be able to do more for the team to build a winner... leaving me only one conclusion, he chose this. 

and yeah, im really struggling to support hat right now.  We talk about greedy owner that put the bottom line over payroll, how they are all thats wrong with the game.. well, ours is the thesis for that.  He invest to the point hat he maximized his return, and nothing more.  

Meow, call me whatever you will, but the last few seasons have damaged my fandom to a point i dont even want to admit. 

So if Cohen can screw up the next 20 and no one would say a word then why are you shitting on Arte?  His first free agent year he brought in a guy that won the MVP and a guy that won a Cy Young.  It hasn’t been 20 years.  So yes people will obviously turn on an owner if they fuck up.

Exhibit A:

Arte Moreno

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So if Cohen can screw up the next 20 and no one would say a word then why are you shitting on Arte?  His first free agent year he brought in a guy that won the MVP and a guy that won a Cy Young.  It hasn’t been 20 years.  So yes people will obviously turn on an owner if they fuck up.

Exhibit A:

Arte Moreno

We can be mad all we want, it won't change anything

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

If I thought a boycott would work (I don’t think it would) I’d stop going to games.  But since the real money comes from a guaranteed TV contract, I don’t know what the answer is.  

I keep wondering how much longer this lasts. Cable is dying if not dead. And with it so are the media deals.

Will be curious to see how that effects the future, of all sports.

Only thing I can think of is the sports networks will have to eventually operate independently, to where you don't have to pay for anything else.

Funny enough, they could charge say 10 bucks less than cable costs WITH them included, and probably not skip a beat... because saving 10 dollars a month and kicking cable would make a ton of people feel like they're getting some great deal.

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I keep wondering how much longer this lasts. Cable is dying if not dead. And with it so are the media deals.

Will be curious to see how that effects the future, of all sports.

Only thing I can think of is the sports networks will have to eventually operate independently, to where you don't have to pay for anything else.

Funny enough, they could charge say 10 bucks less than cable costs WITH them included, and probably not skip a beat... because saving 10 dollars a month and kicking cable would make a ton of people feel like they're getting some great deal.

Which is why when people bitch about how difficult it is for them to watch a game on a streaming service I laugh.  It is the future.  When the dust settles on the NFL package, whether it is going to be Amazon or Disney, we will see MLB do something similar and it won’t surprise me if that will be the end of the black out rule.  

For the record, I didn’t think this would work. It sucks to see the halos sick year after year.  It reminds me of the 70s with Ryan losing a ton and watching him leave. 

Arte has tried with FA but he’s been burned, ir he’s burned himself.  Albert, Upton, Rendon, Hamilton to name a few.  Don’t know what the magic is to make this team relevant, but you have to wonder how the clubhouse mentality isn’t 

As far as Moreno spending this offseason to "fix it", can anyone list some ideas how? We need a ton of help... without knowing who the great FAs are this year (Judge and Turner are the only ones who pop out), can we really spend our way out of this?

Even if Arte says "screw it, money is no object", until Trout and Rendon are actually healthy, and the guys far back in the order rebound, it will be a moot point I think.

Maybe we can take some salary dumps from someone and get something valuable in return?

He appears to kinda suck, but not boycott level. 

Look at the A's, Pirates, Rockies, etc

It actually could be worse.

The last couple of drafts look promising and he's demonstrated he will spend. 

I know it's the same old -same old, but hopefully we spend on the right FA and trades this offseason and somehow Rendon and Trout can be healthy and productive. 

7 hours ago, Stradling said:

Exhibit A:

Arte Moreno

When he does what Cohen did, not one guy but a whole off season, well talk, till then, this is a failed example. 

7 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

boycotting = same decisions minus the revenue. 

You're right... we need to help the Angels increase revenue!!  If the Angels don't spend this off season, it's on us!