• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select SS Zach Neto 13th overall in the 1st round of the 2022 MLB Draft

mmc

I said this in another thread, but if the Angels have SS covered by the time he's ready, then he looks like he could be a pretty good third baseman. His arm, ability to come in on the ball and throw off balanced and on the run are all desirable traits for a third baseman. And some of the best defensive third baseman have come from other positions, Manny from SS, Chapman too, Rendon played a lot of 2B early in his career, A-Rod from SS, etc...

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

The defense is good.

But, let’s see the offense when he faces pitching outside of the Big South.

you're being ridiculous.  and talking out of your rear as if you know.  You're awesome man but you gotta slow your roll sometimes.  Half the kids in the draft came out of HS where they played against guys who could barely tie their shoes.  And a huge chunk of guys who end up amazing players got signed at the age of 16 as intl prospects.  The guys destroyed his competition and has cred from the cape cod league.  He was pretty much a consensus top halfish first rounder.  

BTW, who did you want?  A guy who dropped to 13 because of injury issues or some high floor college starter with MOTR upside?  They obviously spent a lot of time looking at this kid.  And personally, I appreciate the risk.  I didn't do enough research to make any sort of disparaging comments, and even if I did, I'm still just some message board poster.  

Anyone who projects this guy to be a bust probably has about a 70% chance of being right.  

Here's something I really like about this guy.  He's a friggin baseball player.  (unlike guys like Adams, Marsh and Adell when they first started).  He's got big upside and his performance isn't theoretical even if vs. lesser than the best of competition.  

I would challenge you with one thing if you're going to make these types of comments.  Go back and look at the top 5 or even 10 or so college position players and where they played.  Which one excelled and which failed.   Where they came from and where they are now.  I don't have the answer, but my guess is that it's all over the map and there are plenty of examples of successes and failures in either direction.  

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Draft thread is one of the highlights of the year.

I guess (and this goes to Doc too) that is why I am maybe over analyzing this pick.

Other than Ohtani, there’s been very little else to look forward to this past two months.    And has become a recurring theme the past several years.

I know the farm is deeper than a lot of the farm pundits say it is.   Just want it to be really good for the first time in a long time, and for enough of those pitchers to pan out.

I do realize that Neto did show some wooden bat potential in those two summer leagues.

The Halos have struggled with position player drafting, to where the ONLY ones (other than Trout) who have hit enough here since Stoneman retired are Calhoun, Ward, and Walsh.

Four guys in 14 years, and the others were mostly famine.   One of the reasons they are matching the longest streak of losing seasons in franchise history.

The streak of losing years wears on you after a while, especially when going through it both times as a fan.

Edited by Angel Oracle

11 hours ago, mmc said:

9. Zach Neto, SS, Campbell

Neto is a definite shortstop who should be a plus defender in the majors and has a plus arm, but he’s really made himself some money this spring with his performance, including just a mere 7.6 percent strikeout rate for the Camels. He’s got the extraneous movement that you need to have to be a top hitting prospect in this year’s draft, although he calms it down with two strikes; despite that, he’s short to the ball and makes high-quality contact, even hitting for some home-run power that may not persist into pro ball with wood bats and better pitching. He’s spent a little time on the mound, but his future is on the dirt, and with his propensity for putting the bat on the ball and enough power to project as a 30-doubles guy, he should go in the top half of the first round.

Jeremy Reed licking his chops right now. 

Anthony Adams Rubbing Hands | Know Your Meme

6 hours ago, Second Base said:

I said this in another thread, but if the Angels have SS covered by the time he's ready, then he looks like he could be a pretty good third baseman. His arm, ability to come in on the ball and throw off balanced and on the run are all desirable traits for a third baseman. And some of the best defensive third baseman have come from other positions, Manny from SS, Chapman too, Rendon played a lot of 2B early in his career, A-Rod from SS, etc...

Brandon Wood started at SS moved to 3B

I've read all the analysis and comments and I have no idea if this was a good pick or not... Some like him, some don't as much.  I guess time will tell.  I do like the fact that "everyone" thought the Angels would pick a pitcher and they didn't.  I kind of get a kick out of it when the "experts" get it wrong...

3 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I've read all the analysis and comments and I have no idea if this was a good pick or not... Some like him, some don't as much.  I guess time will tell.  I do like the fact that "everyone" thought the Angels would pick a pitcher and they didn't.  I kind of get a kick out of it when the "experts" get it wrong...

Everyone loved the Adell draft, myself included, but based on the meh scouting reports not everyone was sold on the Mike Trout come out of a small town in Milleville, NJ either. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Everyone loved the Adell draft, myself included, but based on the meh scouting reports not everyone was sold on the Mike Trout come out of a small town in Milleville, NJ either. 

Yeah, I get that...  It just shows how volatile drafting can be. 

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

....The Halos have struggled with position player drafting, to where the ONLY ones (other than Trout) who have hit enough here since Stoneman retired are Calhoun, Ward, and Walsh. Four guys in 14 years, and the others were mostly famine.   One of the reasons they are matching the longest streak of losing seasons in franchise history. The streak of losing years wears on you after a while, especially when going through it both times as a fan.

Fletcher in 19 and 20 was pretty good.....I might give him a chance to rebound this year and next before a final verdict is rendered...otherwise, I feel your pain brother....

Fangraphs:

I think the Angels got arguably the steal of the first round in pint-sized powder keg Zach Neto, who I had ranked fifth and consider one of the top 100 prospects in baseball. He’s athletic enough to maintain his high-octane swing and still make tons of contact, and the full-body swing enables him to surprise you with power despite his size.

The Athletic

13. Los Angeles Angels: Zach Neto, SS, Campbell

No. 9 on the Big Board

The Angels took only pitchers last year, and to be honest, I never heard them linked to any position players this spring. But Neto wasn’t supposed to get to this pick, so maybe he was just too good a prospect to pass up. It’s also worth pointing out that the Angels need hitters as much as they need pitching at this point. Neto destroyed mid-major pitching this spring, with twice as many walks as strikeouts, and nearly as many homers (15) as strikeouts (19). He projects as a high-average doubles hitter who has a good chance to stay at shortstop. I’d say the Angels need that, but they need almost everything.

Scouting report: Neto is a definite shortstop who should be a plus defender in the majors and has a plus arm, but he’s really made himself some money this spring with his performance, including just a mere 7.6 percent strikeout rate for the Camels. He’s got the extraneous movement that you need to have to be a top hitting prospect in this year’s draft, although he calms it down with two strikes; despite that, he’s short to the ball and makes high-quality contact, even hitting for some home-run power that may not persist into pro ball with wood bats and better pitching. He’s spent a little time on the mound, but his future is on the dirt, and with his propensity for putting the bat on the ball and enough power to project as a 30-doubles guy, he should go in the top half of the first round.

• mmc changed the title to Angels select SS Zach Neto 13th overall in the 1st round of the 2022 MLB Draft