• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jerry Dipoto: ''One bad streak away from considering all options.''

How many have FIVE out of the first 40 picks, where TWO of them will likely never make it even to high-A ball (Clarke and Bolden) and a 3rd may get to the upper levels (Bedrosian) at best?

The Halos had a bonanza that became an almost bust. That was the Eddie Bane type of draft though, boom or bust type player. Not how you build good depth on the farm

2010 was a draft where drafting a couple of college players would have been beneficial.

Why did Bane turn his back on college players the last few years he oversaw the draft?

If I am Dipoto, I try to trade Callaspo and Richards for pitching prospects.  Anything you can get.

If Vargas is healthy by the deadline, try to extend him otherwise flip him for pitching prospects as well.

This season is already lost.

If I am Dipoto, I try to trade Callaspo and Richards for pitching prospects.  Anything you can get.

I'm not sure what kind of "prospects" you can get for a 30-year-old utility infielder who is batting .266. Not exactly a difficult type to replace, nor one that is in much demand.

Glen, we just sucked more - five picks is a lot, and three of them have been absolute wastes.

Reading comprehension fail. The metaphors I was asking to Scioscia to smoke were that the "lunatics are running the asylum" and "this is a rudderless ship." Scioscia has a major leadership role in running the asylum/ship. No, he doesn't draft, but my metaphors were (obviously, I think) about the organization as a whole.

And no, I'm not placing primary blame on Scioscia. I think this blame can be spread around quite evenly.

With the 6th pick in the draft, the Diamondbacks picked Barret Loux who is rocking an ERA over 5 in AAA.

The #9 pick for the Padres RHP Witson never signed and dropped to 37th in this years draft.

The Jays used the 11th pick for Deck McGuire and he also can't get out of AA with an ERA well over 5.

The Brewers couldn't sign the 14th pick RHP Covey.

The 16th pick for the Cubs, Hayden Simpson has a career minor league ERA of 6.83

This list can continue all the way to #43 of pitchers picked up before Walker that are busts or never going to be better than relief pitchers and a large amount of position players that will never see a big league locker room. All were scouted, all were positioned on someone's board to fill needs, very few are going to be any good. No team is immune to a pick not working out.

That was the Mariners first and only pick in the 2010 draft and they got lucky. They got lucky but the kid is still in the minors while Stephen Pryor picked in the 5th round (the Mariners 5th pick) is already in the majors for the second time, this time for keeps. Anyone could have picked Pryor up before the Mariners, the Mariners could have made sure they had him with their 2nd pick that went to a toolsy shortstop that can barely hit his weight.

Draft results after the fact are pointless. Where a guy goes in the draft is neither a validation for scouting or an indictment. How he plays is simply on the player, not on where he was drafted. The Mariners simply got lucky their 1st pick didn't clank like the Cubs 1st pick, regardless of order.

I'm not sure what kind of "prospects" you can get for a 30-year-old utility infielder who is batting .266. Not exactly a difficult type to replace, nor one that is in much demand.

Yeah I don't expect that he could get top shelf prospects.  Anything helps.

I hope he's considering all the options now.

Please be sellers and tank the rest of the season.

And bring up Calhoun and give him starting nod and also let conger start majority of the games.

And let Richards in the starting rotation to see if they can hack it in the major league.

funny thing is...even if the team considers all its options.  Does it really have that many options (as compared to other teams)?

Cant trade Hamilton or Pujols...no one in their right mind will touch those contracts

Cant trade Trout...you dont trade away that caliber of a player

Bourjous and Trumbo are the only positional players I see as being worth real value in trades

Starting pitching...I dont see the team dealing Weaver.  As for CJ Wilson...dont see that happening as well.  The rest of the staff is either young or has no value (Blanton).  The relief corps isnt much better, plus they usually dont bring back a lot of value in a trade.

So...as I said, the options really are limited.

How many have FIVE out of the first 40 picks, where TWO of them will likely never make it even to high-A ball (Clarke and Bolden) and a 3rd may get to the upper levels (Bedrosian) at best?

The Halos had a bonanza that became an almost bust. That was the Eddie Bane type of draft though, boom or bust type player. Not how you build good depth on the farm

2010 was a draft where drafting a couple of college players would have been beneficial.

Why did Bane turn his back on college players the last few years he oversaw the draft?

I agree with you that the halos should have looked closer at more college players.

I disagree with you that bad drafts seem to be limited to the halos, as your hinting. I would think a vast majority of teams have the same kind of success rate as our boys. There certainly are going to be better years and leaner years for us, but my guess is that's true for every team,

In Hamiltown's defense, I can definitely see the point he is trying to make. This team is in A LOT of payroll trouble for the next 5 years. They will be paying hundreds of millions to 2 particular players that won't help them win, players that will probably cause them to suck even more while they are allowed to play.

To have ANY shot at abandoning even just 50% of those contracts it would have to include Trout. Things aren't going to get any better before Trout becomes a FA. I'm not saying they should do it, I'm just saying that Hamiltown's logic isn't as crazy as you all are saying.

I don't think the team is in financial trouble (funny as it sounds). The nedia deal hasn't even kicked in yet. If it did today, the fox money alone covers our payroll.

The trouble were in is the players we need (younger and improving) are on other teams and can't be bought (right now).