• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

There will be no rebuild - and this is why

13 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Ohtani is really, really good but can we afford to give him $400 million, because that might be the going rate. 

We'll be paying out a hundred million plus to just three players. Rendon is already looking like a bust. 

I don't understand the economics involved, but one would argue that Ohtani is worth $40M a year (which is what i think it would take to sign him) for all the secondary benefits: ticket sales, paraphernalia, the Japan connection, etc.

Meaning, can the Angels afford NOT to pay him. 

My only concern is if his agency comes up with some strategy that Shohei is two players in one, so deserves to be paid like two players: elite DH (say, $25M/year) and elite starter (say, $30M) a year = $55M. Let's say they realize that one injury could damage both "players," so they reduce it to $45-50M a year.

But it could end up being the lower side of that: 8 years x $45M = $360M, plus incentives.

Maybe the Angels should offer 8/$320M and a percentage of ticket sales when he starts.

23 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Ohtani is really, really good but can we afford to give him $400 million, because that might be the going rate. 

We'll be paying out a hundred million plus to just three players. Rendon is already looking like a bust. 

I thought you self banned and were an Angels nutswinger now.

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

AJ, I must say I admire your commitment to providing interesting content to this site.  You're a talented guy.  You certainly don't "mail it in" - you put a lot of thought and work into your stuff.  Good job.

He is hero and deserves.

Seriously though, I agree 100%. AJ is the real MVP.

Good post, though the end of it doesn't leave me with much hope.  You're basically saying they're likely going to run it back with a nearly identical roster, and I see no reason why anyone should believe that that will result in a winning season that would entice Ohtani to sign an extension

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Copy and paste in 2023.

Believe me I get the point.  But if the Angels are too incompetent to add the few necessary pieces, then they would certainly be too incompetent to execute a full rebuild.

I am just hoping they figure out the easier project and start winning now.

Edited by Dtwncbad

3 minutes ago, True Grich said:

AJ, I must say I admire your commitment to providing interesting content to this site.  You're a talented guy.  You certainly don't "mail it in" - you put a lot of thought and work into your stuff.  Good job.

Well thanks, bud. I do appreciate it.

12 minutes ago, mmc said:

Good post, though the end of it doesn't leave me with much hope.  You're basically saying they're likely going to run it back with a nearly identical roster, and I see no reason why anyone should believe that that will result in a winning season that would entice Ohtani to sign an extension

I hear you, but not quite. Again, I think the biggest two problems are:

• Lack of depth in the lineup ("stars and scrubs"), and 
  • Poor bullpen performance

The first is partially solvable from within, with improvements/health from Rengifo, Fletcher, Marsh, etc, as well as possibly Stefanic and eventually Jackson. But I said partially, because we're still left with a big drop-off, so the Angels would do well to find two or three solid platoon types - the types of players you can plug in for a starter and get decent performance from. 

The second can really only be solved by homegrown talent - and unlike this year, next there will be a bunch of players ready to go. In fact, we might start seeing some of guys in AA get auditions in the second half, especially if they're out of contention. 

The point being, unless you're really lucky and catch lightning in a bottle with a free agent signing or clean peanut (e.g. Brendan Donnelly back in the early 00s), a good major league bullpen should be mostly comprised of excess starters - guys who might not be worthy of a rotation spot, but are major leaguers. The Angels have a ton of guys in AA and above who fit this mold, and/or injured guys.

There won't be a rebuild. If Arte wanted to rebuild he would've had Eppler do it with Ausmus as the manager. Eppler was replaced specifically because Arte wanted to win and thought Minasian could do it, and Ausmus because Arte thought Maddon could do it. 

But I think it's very clear right now the Angels are going to lose Ohtani soon and when they do, they'll lose their ace and only other elite bat aside from Trout. 

This team is going to get worse, unfortunately. And it's a bad position to be in, for a team to be losing such a great player but not rebuild. They'll lose him for nothing too, because he won't be traded. No one will want to be known as the team or GM that traded Ohtani. Last time that happened with a two way star, a hundred year long curse came down. 

Edited by Second Base

The good things for next season, provided Ohtani and Thor are re-signed:

Lineup, IF HEALTHY, will be better.

Ward, Trout, Ohtani, Rendon, Walsh, Rengifo, Stassi, Marsh, Fletcher

Rotation will have three guys who are solid up front (Ohtani, Sandoval, Thor), plus others who now have decent MLB experience in Detmers and Suarez, plus Silseth hopefully taking a step forward.

Good potential rotation depth with Bush, Diaz, Kalish, Daniel, and Kerry 

Concerns for next season:

Obviously team health, as position player depth is still a bit of an issue.

Have to hope that guys like Villar, Adell, and Squid can do enough at the plate when called on.

The bullpen will still be going through a transition as guys like Loup and Tepera will be on their way out soon, Herget hopefully stays healthy,  hopefully the young talent like Ortega, Warren, and Quijada take a step forward, CRod finally stays healthy and becomes a key bullpen piece, and newcomers like Bachman, Torres, and Erla come up to the parent club.

Lots of ifs

The off-season focus should be re-signing Ohtani and Thor, acquiring a solid enough second catcher, and continuing to improve the scouting and development.

As mentioned before, start operating like the Cardinals by no more signing of big money FAs from other teams.  Focus on your own org.

Now that 2022 contention is highly unlikely, continue to give opps to your key upper level minor league players.  Stefanic, Silseth, Humphreys, Torres, etc.

Trade/DFA Lorenzen and Wade.

See how much other teams are willing to pay towards Loup’s remaining salary, albeit at this point not much.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

There won't be a rebuild. If Arte wanted to rebuild he would've had Eppler do it with Ausmus as the manager. Eppler was replaced specifically because Arte wanted to win and thought Minasian could do it, and Ausmus because Arte thought Maddon could do it. 

But I think it's very clear right now the Angels are going to lose Ohtani soon and when they do, they'll lose their ace and only other elite bat aside from Trout. 

This team is going to get worse, unfortunately. And it's a bad position to be in, for a team to be losing such a great player but not rebuild. They'll lose him for nothing too, because he won't be traded. No one will want to be known as the team or GM that traded Ohtani. Last time that happened with a two way star, a hundred year long curse came down. 

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they lose Ohtani unless you have some sort of insider info.. I get that he wants to win but we do have next season to build a winning team still and, as AJ outlined in his original post, there are some reasons for optimisim. If there was ever an offseason for Arte to go into the tax, it would be this one to add the neccessary depth to make this team competitive next season and the few after, increasing the odds of Ohtani re-signing. We won't recuperate enough talent in a trade and I don't want to see him end up as a freaking Dodger, Yankee, Red Sox, Met, etc.. 

1 hour ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that they lose Ohtani unless you have some sort of insider info.. I get that he wants to win but we do have next season to build a winning team still and, as AJ outlined in his original post, there are some reasons for optimisim. If there was ever an offseason for Arte to go into the tax, it would be this one to add the neccessary depth to make this team competitive next season and the few after, increasing the odds of Ohtani re-signing. We won't recuperate enough talent in a trade and I don't want to see him end up as a freaking Dodger, Yankee, Red Sox, Met, etc.. 

No inside info. I'm just looking at it realistically. 

- The GM that impressed him enough to sign is gone. 

- The manager when he signed on to play is gone. 

- The manager that completely trusted him and loosened the reigns to allow him to flourish is gone. 

- Every player he talked to and connected with in the interview process and he first season besides Mike Trout is gone.

- The team hasn't won. Not a single winning season. 

- Despite being here 5 seasons, the Angels haven't been able to negotiate an extension. 

- The amount of money he's going to command in free agency at age 28, now that there's universal DH opening up opportunities in the NL, being the only successful two way player in anyone's lifetime and the second most successful Japanese import ever, is going to be astronomical. Arte has never exceeded the luxury tax and with Rendon and Trout on the payroll, he'd need to go way past it in order to sign Ohtani AND surround him with the necessary talent while convincing him that they'll win. It's just not gonna happen. 

I don't think he'll be traded. But I do think he'll walk in free agency. Someone, I'm guessing the Mets (their owner Cohen and Arte Moreno have some beef, and they hired Billy Eppler and have proven they'll spend any amount to win), will offer him something outrageous like 7 years 350 million (50 million a year).