• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

UCLA and USC are joining the Big Ten starting in 2024

On 8/9/2023 at 9:03 PM, eaterfan said:

Wouldn't not going to the Big 10 have screwed the tax payers. UCLA had huge debt that the Regents would have had to take on had they not joined the Big 10. If both schools would have made $30-$40 a year in the Pac 11 and UCLA is making $80-$90 a year in the Big 10 then that's a net gain for the regents to have UCLA go. 

We’ll see how it works out. The Cal Stadium debt is a lot of money to eat.

I’m pumped for some potential ACC basketball.

Go Bears!

11 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

This leaves Oregon State and Washington State standing alone as the ones to turn out the lights in the Pac 12 offices after this season. They are in quite a spot, because they would not bring a major brand or a large fan base to any Power 5 league (I guess that it's really Power 4 now).

It has to be Mountain West for them right?

37 minutes ago, St1ck said:

It has to be Mountain West for them right?

I have heard Mountain West for Wazzu, possibly Conference USA for the Beavers. The hell of it is that they have set up their athletic budgets based upon Pac 12 revenue, and no available landing spot is going to bring in anywhere near that. They may have to cut some sports.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

11 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I have heard Mountain West for Wazzu, possibly Conference USA for the Beavers. The hell of it is that they have set up their athletic budgets based upon Pac 12 revenue, and no available landing spot is going to bring in anywhere near that. They may have to cut some sports.

C-USA is the Wednesday 2pm shift at the strip club of conferences.

10 hours ago, RallyMo said:

Above all else, F USC for blowing up the conference. 

I just can’t wait to see USC play in Columbus, Happy Valley, or Ann Arbor in the winter.

Should be a hoot.

Oh yeah, UCLA also.  Sorry Lou.

Edited by PattyD22

On 9/2/2023 at 7:25 AM, RallyMo said:

…or Cal. I’d actually rather we won, but I don’t think there’s a timeline in which that’s possible. OSU might be able to make that happen.

Above all else, F USC for blowing up the conference. 

Ha yeah I don't see that timeline either. But nice to win season opener yesterday! 

And in dominating fashion - 58 pts and almost 700 total yards.

Ott was a beast and Finley looked great after Sam Jackson went down.

@RallyMo are you going to go to any games this year?

On 9/2/2023 at 6:08 PM, PattyD22 said:

I just can’t wait to see USC play in Columbus, Happy Valley, or Ann Arbor in the winter.

Should be a hoot.

Oh yeah, UCLA also.  Sorry Lou.

Even Northwestern. Although their program has been down lately, going in there in late November could be interesting. I have been on the campus at NU, and their stadium is within eyeshot of Lake Michigan. The lakefront is on the edge of the campus. Madison or Minneapolis could be a whole bag of fun too.

On 9/3/2023 at 10:56 AM, mrwicked said:

Ha yeah I don't see that timeline either. But nice to win season opener yesterday! 

And in dominating fashion - 58 pts and almost 700 total yards.

Ott was a beast and Finley looked great after Sam Jackson went down.

@RallyMo are you going to go to any games this year?

I’ve got my eye on the SC and WSU games as possibilities. I’d love to be able to make it out. I gotta be honest… I’m kinda pumped for new rivalries.

I sure hope Jackson is ready to go Saturday for Auburn, but Finley looked really good for a backup, at least by our backup standards. Ott and Ifanse were great.

With that said, I think the sky is the limit for basketball. We very well have backed right into a near perfect coach in Madsen coupled with the ACC. I’m so excited to see what he can do. I’ll definitely be going to their game here in San Antonio 

On 9/1/2023 at 6:11 PM, RallyMo said:

Man, Pac12 leadership really screwed this up. It must really suck to be an OSU or WSU fan. I base this on how I felt about the situation before we got our lifeline.

Larry Scott should be tarred and feathered.  He single-handedly ruined the P12 with his arrogance

18 hours ago, AngelsLongBall said:

Larry Scott should be tarred and feathered.  He single-handedly ruined the P12 with his arrogance

Y’all didn’t help anything by apparently not giving two shits about trying to fix things to maintain the current arrangements, but the desire for increased compensation makes sense. The Pac12 could have been saved if SC didn’t bolt.

What’s done is done for the time being.

I think there will be a net negative incurred from the ultimate loss of mass regional competition. We’ll likely also see a pretty solid reset of financial arrangements as the linear model continues to deteriorate and fragmentation continues.

I’m honestly excited for our new rivalries and what I see as an absolutely tremendous opportunity for Cal in basketball. Madsen is the real freaking deal, it seems.

We’ve already got the NFL for what they’re trying to ultimately achieve with college football, and it’s a better product.

I already hate UNC and Clemson and we’re only a few days into this.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, RallyMo said:

Y’all didn’t help anything by apparently not giving two shits about trying to fix things to maintain the current arrangements, but the desire for increased compensation makes sense. The Pac12 could have been saved if SC didn’t bolt.

What’s done is done for the time being.

I think there will be a net negative incurred from the ultimate loss of mass regional competition. We’ll likely also see a pretty solid reset of financial arrangements as the linear model continues to deteriorate and fragmentation continues.

I’m honestly excited for our new rivalries and what I see as an absolutely tremendous opportunity for Cal in basketball. Madsen is the real freaking deal, it seems.

We’ve already got the NFL for what they’re trying to ultimately achieve with college football, and it’s a better product.

I already hate UNC and Clemson and we’re only a few days into this.

I can't speak to what did or did not go down.  I have had my hands full and stepped away from SC coverage since the Tulane disaster unfolded.  IIRC, in the thread I said I hated the move. 

That said, ever since the NIL, college sports has turned into a money grab, and while it may have been honorable to stay and fix the conference, I'm sure there were plenty of donors bitching and moaning that we needed MORE in order to compete.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.  And I think it's gonna be a shock to many SC fans when they travel to the Big House in the late fall/winter and get punched in the mouth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, today is the last day of the Pac for regular season football. It’s a shame; it’s been a great season.

Fuck USC forever. Here’s to an eternity of middling and disappointing seasons like they one they so deservedly got this year.

UCLA are weasels for blowing it up, too.

Oh well. It’ll be interesting to see how many craps anybody gives about the non-marquee matchups that have no history behind them.

4 hours ago, RallyMo said:

Oh well. It’ll be interesting to see how many craps anybody gives about the non-marquee matchups that have no history behind them.

i'm already looking forward to northwestern vs. washington state and ucla vs. rutgers.