• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Luis Rengifo is becoming a player

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Taylor Ward for the Dodgers. But the Indians wanted him straight up for a starting pitcher. 

Oh really? I seemed to recall there being a lot of speculation but no one could identify that 2nd guy. Good to know! Glad we didn't do it!

There is a reason why a club like the Dodgers wanted Ward and Rengifo.  

Ward's injury was super unfortunate given how he was playing.  Hasn't quite been the same since his return.  He was never going to keep that unrealistic pace, but let's cut him a little slack and be thankful he's contributing at such a fine rate.  The kid can play.

Rengifo, as others have noted, needs consistent playing time.  He's conquered every level and will do so at this one if given consistent ab's.  

I hope we place Fletch at SS and Rengifo at 2B the rest of the way.  Let's find out what we have with both.  

I don't mind an offensive hole at SS (Vaz) if they can defend.  That said, we aren't winning anything this year, so let's find out if Fletch can regain his form.  And no, not after 75 ab's that might cost us a game or two.  I'm talking let both (Rengifo) both roll the rest of the way and let's see what we have.  I'm optimistic we'll be rewarded.

I'm so sick of playing guys like Wade/Duffy that will have no bearing on our future.  Fuck it.  Let's find out what we've got with higher-ceiling guys so Perry can appropriately plan. 

7 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Indians were going to trade a starting pitcher straight up?  Who was it?  And why didn't we take it?  

I think it was Kluber but he was traded for Clase I could be wrong. It might not have been straight up.

Edited by rafibomb

Both Rengifo and Stefanic should be playing everyday for the major league club right now.  Guys like Velazquez, Wade and Mayfield should be playing once a week.  Total between the three of them which means two of them shouldn't even be rostered.  

Play the guys who needs experience at this point.   One who has upside at least.  The worst Rengifo is gonna be is Tyler Wade.  

8 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Both Rengifo and Stefanic should be playing everyday for the major league club right now.  Guys like Velazquez, Wade and Mayfield should be playing once a week.  Total between the three of them which means two of them shouldn't even be rostered.  

Play the guys who needs experience at this point.   One who has upside at least.  The worst Rengifo is gonna be is Tyler Wade.  

Rengifo at his worst is still better than Wade, I think. 

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The Indians backed out at the last minute. 

And it was Clevinger, in 2019.

They were gonna trade Clevinger straight up for Rengifo? No wonder Cleveland backed out of the deal. I don’t understand how it even got close in the first place

FanGraphs, who rated him as a 45 FV prospect, was the highest on Rengifo back then.

A 45 FV prospect straight up doesn’t seem like it’d be enough for 3+ years of a 4 fWAR pitcher.

I think Rengifo was hurt by the covid season. He actually was halfway decent in 2019, his rookie year, hitting .238/.321/.364 with an 83 wRC+ and 0.6 WAR in 108 games. He got off to a slow start in 2020 then was demoted near the end of the year. And then in 2021 the Angels snubbed him, deciding to go with Jose Iglesias and David Fletcher, and when he got his chance he performed poorly.

But if we imagine 2020 as a full year, presumably he could have had a similar shift then as he's (hopefully) having now. 

My hope is that he can get his season numbers up to around .250/.300+/.400+ by year's end. And then next year, if given a full-time job, I could see something like a .265/.330/.420 line, with the potential for peak seasons around .280/.340/.450.

6 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They did want Marsh for Kluber. That was 5 months later. Also, Kluber wasn’t worth as much as Clevinger because he was coming off an injury and had one year left. 

So what was the asking price for Clevinger because it read like it was Ward or Rengifo?

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So what was the asking price for Clevinger because it read like it was Ward or Rengifo?

What I heard…

At the deadline in July 2019, the Angels had agreed to trade Rengifo for Clevinger but then Trevor Bauer threw the ball over the fence and they decided to trade him instead. I didn’t hear any names besides Rengifo in that one. But my assumption is that if there was another player involved it was someone less than Rengifo.

In December 2019, the Angels tried to get Kluber but the Indians wanted Marsh and a second top 10 prospect. This just tells you what the Indians felt the Angels would have to do to get them to turn down Clase, who is obviously pretty good. They were obviously right on Clase. 

The Indians probably didn’t want to trade Clevinger in December 2019 because they’d already traded Bauer. Kluber had one year left so they dealt him. 

(Also, don’t forget that when they did trade Clevinger in August 2020 he pitched once before blowing out his elbow.)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

What I heard…

At the deadline in July 2019, the Angels had agreed to trade Rengifo for Clevinger but then Trevor Bauer threw the ball over the fence and they decided to trade him instead. I didn’t hear any names besides Rengifo in that one. But my assumption is that if there was another player involved it was someone less than Rengifo.

Another reason to hate Trevor Bauer.

On 6/30/2022 at 11:27 AM, ScottT said:

I'm not buying in yet.  Could be a little like Ward.... took time for him to figure it out.   This has been such a short stretch of success, though.

True. Ward's development is amazing but he is 28 and Rengifo is still only 25. What can he become in three years? I think he can be a solid player for us over the next 8-10 years.

1 hour ago, TempeAngel said:

True. Ward's development is amazing but he is 28 and Rengifo is still only 25. What can he become in three years? I think he can be a solid player for us over the next 8-10 years.

If he can, then they can move Fletcher back to SS.   Squid needs to be limited to occasional starts and late innings for defense.