• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Luis Rengifo is becoming a player

On first glance, his numbers don't look all that good: .238/.287/.388 in 158 PA. Then then remember that this is 2022, and that line is good for a 92 wRC+ -- meaning, just a bit below league average. Rengifo has a 0.4 WAR in 44 games, which means he's on a roughly 1.5 WAR pace over a full season.

So, overall, he's been a mediocre, fringy regular. But what about lately? Well, Rengifo has hit 2 HR in his last four games. Yesterday was probably his best game of the year, with a 2B and HR.

Last 7 games: .400/.423/.720, 227 wRC+

Last 12 games: .318/.348/.568, 160 wRC+

Something may have clicked, and we're starting to see the player that he could become - and might be right now. 

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

On first glance, his numbers don't look all that good: .238/.287/.388 in 158 PA. Then then remember that this is 2022, and that line is good for a 92 wRC+ -- meaning, just a bit below league average. Rengifo has a 0.4 WAR in 44 games, which means he's on a roughly 1.5 WAR pace over a full season.

So, overall, he's been a mediocre, fringy regular. But what about lately? Well, Rengifo has hit 2 HR in his last four games. Yesterday was probably his best game of the year, with a 2B and HR.

Something may have clicked, and we're starting to see the player that he could become - and might be right now. 

Knowing you are going to be in lineup has been big help for him. Hopefully one spot Angels do not have to fill in coming years. His fielding has been very good.

If he settles in, it would offer some needed stability to the lineup....count me as skeptical because I have been hopeful with him before, only to see him regress....but it would also create a question of what do you with Fletcher when he comes back, which may be reasonably soon? I think Fletcher is better at 2b than SS.....

This is totally cherry picking. Nothing clicked, he just played well for a week, after being terrible, borderline the worst non-platoon infielder in the game for most of the month.

Rengifo's June Numbers

25 G, 22 GS, 89 PA, 85 AB, 17 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 3 BB, 15 K, .200 BA/ .236 OBP /.353 SLG /.589 OPS. 

June Minus the last 6 games.

19 G, 16 GS, 67 PA, 64 AB, 9 H, 4 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 2 BB, 14K, .140 BA/ .164 OBP / .224 SLG / .388 OPS.

A .388 OPS. He's one of the primary reasons that the team has been terrible this month. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

This is totally cherry picking. Nothing clicked, he just played well for a week, after being terrible, borderline the worst non-platoon infielder in the game for most of the month.

Rengifo's June Numbers

25 G, 22 GS, 89 PA, 85 AB, 17 H, 5 2B, 1 3B, 2 HR, 3 BB, 15 K, .200 BA/ .236 OBP /.353 SLG /.589 OPS. 

19 G, 16 GS, 67 PA, 64 AB, 9 H, 4 2B, 1 3B, 0 HR, 2 BB, 14K, .140 BA/ .164 OBP / .224 SLG / .388 OPS.

A .388 OPS. He's one of the primary reasons that the team has been terrible this month. 

You realize you're guilty of what youre accusing others of, right?   You're choosing to focus on the numbers that support your view

Anyway, here's one you left out.  His June BaBip was .221, and that's only that high because of those last 6 games.   That figure was 65 points below the league average for June and 40+ points below the rate he's run all season.  So either he's just super easy to defend or he was a bit unlucky.  I know people tend to dismiss batting average on ball in play (Both high and low), but it's one of the few things that typically normalizes for pretty much everyone but Ichiro types, it's not something players have total control over. 

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

For me, having watched him play in the minors I'll believe it's clicked for him once his walk rate comes closer to what he's done in the minors. 

He's dropped his K rate so, he's clearly been working on things, but I think we will see him truly blossom once he gets his walk rate to around 10%.  It's worth noting he's running a higher called strike rate that he is a swinging strike rate -- so some of it may just be the reality he is still learning the league.

There are some positive signs, and some not so positive ones.  As Blarg has pointed out there are signs that he's trying too hard to elevate pitches.  I want to believe it's just a young hitter feeling his way through what he can and cannot do, so I'm hopeful.   As I have said many times before.  Luis Rengifo actually playing to his skill set would be a huge boost to an Angels team in need of it.

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Rengifo's June Numbers

Whole lot better than Wade and younger

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Rengifo's June Numbers

Primary reason give me a break. He's playing well last seven games give him some credit. Rengifo has helped this team win a few games of late. I'm glad is is been given opportunity to play everyday. Only time will tell if he can keep that spot. He did start playing as soon as you wanted to DFA him. Help Wade and Loup say same thing about them.

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ve had several conversations with Angels coaches and front office people about how Rengifo has much more talent than all of the other middle infielders (Fletcher included). He just hasn’t been able to put it together. 

Let’s not forget this is a guy the Dodgers and Indians both wanted in trades that didn’t happen. 

But Jeff who was the second piece the Angels were sending with Rengifo?!?!? 😄

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

You realize you're guilty of what youre accusing others of, right?   You're choosing to focus on the numbers that support your view

Anyway, here's one you left out.  His June BaBip was .221, and that's only that high because of those last 6 games.   That figure was 65 points below the league average for June and 40+ points below the rate he's run all season.  So either he's just super easy to defend or he was a bit unlucky.  I know people tend to dismiss batting average on ball in play (Both high and low), but it's one of the few things that typically normalizes for pretty much everyone but Ichiro types, it's not something players have total control over. 

For me, having watched him play in the minors I'll believe it's clicked for him once his walk rate comes closer to what he's done in the minors. 

He's dropped his K rate so, he's clearly been working on things, but I think we will see him truly blossom once he gets his walk rate to around 10%.  It's worth noting he's running a higher called strike rate that he is a swinging strike rate -- so some of it may just be the reality he is still learning the league.

There are some positive signs, and some not so positive ones.  As Blarg has pointed out there are signs that he's trying too hard to elevate pitches.  I want to believe it's just a young hitter feeling his way through what he can and cannot do, so I'm hopeful.   As I have said many times before.  Luis Rengifo actually playing to his skill set would be a huge boost to an Angels team in need of it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with you, at least as far as him truly blossoming. If he gets his walk rate to around 10%, he's not going to be just "a player" but a good one. I think what we've seen over the last couple weeks is him transforming from scrub to solid player. The next step will require that walk rate going up.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ve had several conversations with Angels coaches and front office people about how Rengifo has much more talent than all of the other middle infielders (Fletcher included). He just hasn’t been able to put it together. 

Let’s not forget this is a guy the Dodgers and Indians both wanted in trades that didn’t happen. 

Yep. He's always had the look of a good player, in a not dissimilar way to Marsh looking like he should be good. I suppose in both cases it was/is a matter of loose ends needing to be worked out.