• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Athletic: In extended spring training, minor leaguers lament lack of pay: ‘Just a mess’

gotbeer

Not the same article but pretty sure this says about the same thing, and it's not paywalled:

https://www.audacy.com/national/sports/players-compare-extended-spring-training-to-hunger-games

“When we look at the demographics of the players on extended spring training rosters, whether that be racial, educational or otherwise, it’s clear that MLB teams are taking advantage of a particularly precariously positioned group of players by not paying extended spring training salaries, and that is very problematic,” said Marino, horrified at MLB’s treatment of Latin players, many of whom barely speak English. “There’s absolutely no excuse for these five teams to continue to refuse to pay their lowest-paid employees for months of work.”

I think we should give MLB and its owners a break, after all they support BLM, amirite?

1 minute ago, eligrba said:

I don't need to read it to be outraged at Arte. I'm outraged that these entitled athletes are not getting everything they deserve. 

I am pretty sure these athletes aren’t entitled.  The article says they get $20 a day for food plus a place to stay.  

We all know how this thread is going to go but at the end of the day all owners should be striving to set themselves a part in a positive way to be an excellent employer, throughout the entire organization.  The organization should want to be a desirable place to play because of how the players are being taken care of.  It isn’t all financial but it does all require a financial commitment.  The cost between standing out in a positive way versus standing out in a negative way is minimal in the grand scheme of things, especially when you are vying to keep talent and acquire talent.    

Just now, Stradling said:

And I know Lou is going to call me out for telling other people how to spend their money.  I am guessing I am simply jaded because I have seen how it works.  

1 minute ago, Lou said:

I think all players should be paid for playing.