• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

79 runs in past 26 games

Phillies owner was sick of missing the playoffs last offseason so he dipped into the luxury tax so they could add two more bats in Schwarber and Castellanos.  If Arte gave a damn you’d think he’d consider doing the same.

1 minute ago, mmc said:

Phillies owner was sick of missing the playoffs last offseason so he dipped into the luxury tax so they could add two more bats in Schwarber and Castellanos.  If Arte gave a damn you’d think he’d consider doing the same.

There’s some sort of disconnect with this franchise.   And it likely starts at the top.

Yup. I'll unpack that a bit.Since May 16, when the Angels began the day 24-13 and have been 9-24 since, Angels hitters with at least 50 PA and their wRC+: 

182 Trout (120 PA)

135 Walsh (117 PA)

122 Stassi (79 PA)

116 Ohtani (126 PA)

79 Duffy (81 PA)

69 Rengifo (106 PA)

69 Ward (76 PA)

60 Marsh (108 PA)

46 Lagares (55 PA)

24 Wade (65 PA)

16 Velazquez (100 PA)

So they've got seven guys with sub-80 wRC+ hitting over that span of time. That's almost 600 PA from bad hitters, some (Wade and Velazquez) who are just terrible.

And FFS, DFA Lagares and call Adell up. As soon as Stefanic returns from the IL, DFA Wade and call up Stefanic. 

Edited by Angelsjunky

I know it’s tough and a lot of teams aren’t good at it but the Angels just don’t make players better.  This is an ongoing thing.  Some teams seem very good at this.  I think to me the annoying thing is that the Angels don’t seem that interested in or don’t understand how to emulate those teams.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

28 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I know it’s tough and a lot of teams aren’t good at it but the Angels just don’t make players better.  This is an ongoing thing.  Some teams seem very good at this.  I think to me the annoying thing is that the Angels don’t seem that interested in or don’t understand how to emulate those teams.  

Well at least they fired Maddon.  Things should turn around soon.  Amirite 99% of you??

Yeesh, knew the Angels' bats outside of Trout and Walsh were bad but this is awful.  Basically 3 automatic outs in Wade, Velazquez, and Lagares.  Marsh seems to be lost at the plate now too since his hot start, but I'd rather have him out there than Adell at this point due to his much superior glove.  Ward has fallen back to earth, but even then he's producing above what was expected.  Looks like teams have figured out how to get Ohtani out or the ball change is really affecting him.  Either way he's not producing like last year.  Unless everyone heats up, gonna be another playoff less season for the Angels. 

Can this org actually develop offensive talents?

Since the 2010 draft/foreign scouting, who have they developed into viable offensive talents?  (Trout 2009 draft)

Ohtani, Walsh, and Ward, that’s it!

In TWELVE years!

And in acquiring MLB players with offense skill, they’ve basically struck out at it in TWELVE years.

Pretty bad scouting

Yep, a definite disconnect in this org

It’s time to get back to balanced drafts.   No more only drafting pitchers 

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

They have a knack for scouting guys with no discernable tools. At any given time we have 6-7 guys in the lineup who constantly flail at pitches outside the zone, stare at/swing through hittable pitches in the zone, and make weak contact when they do actually hit something. Just terrible scouting and development all around 

Its not that they have no discernible skills it’s they don’t have a second or third skill that justifies playing them when their primary skill takes a shit.  

Velazquez: great defense, zero other skills

Duffy: Gets on base at a decent clip, can play 3 positions, perfect actual back up or weak side platoon.

Wade: speed, versatility, had good OBP last year in limited play, but when the OBP isn’t there he’s a DFA candidate and it isn’t there.  

There’s simply too many on the roster.