• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Phillies (6/5/22) 10:35 am - Adell in RF

9 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

I want to know how many thrown bats & helmets. Smashed up water coolers. Post-game buffet tables overturned. Fistfights in the clubhouse. etc...

They always said Paul O'Neill was an asshat for doing such things. Today he's an asshat with 5 World Series rings.

You want them to have temper tantrums? 

Just now, SurfWriter said:

And by the reports from those in the locker room who have been saying that the players have been very calm and unaffected by the losing streak.  I think that's a bad sign, not a good sign.

They've had two team meetings and Duffy didn't seem unaffected. 

8 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

I tend to agree.  He's too even-tempered and trying to maintain calm, upbeat attitude as if that will help the team not get too down on itself.  How's that working?  Dismal failure, I'd say.  I know Maddon can go home and have a nice glass of wine. 

Some players need to get their butts kicked.

It jump started the Dodgers pennant push in 1988 when Kirk Gibson had enough of the clowning around and put the fear of God into the team.

We don't have people like Erstad, Salmon, Percival etc anymore. Too bad.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

You want them to have temper tantrums? 

Not the right question.  No one wants a temper tantrum.  It is however something one might guess they’d see eventually after such a long and epic choke job that they’ve all collectively engaged in.  Whether one is a good thing or a bad thing is another matter. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Have any of you had a boss that seemed unstable and talked down to everyone and was a total dick?  Did you enjoy working for them?  Did they get the best out of you?  

Holy loaded question.

Just now, SurfWriter said:

You just described an extreme and obviously undesirable approach.  Do you really think there's no middle ground between a manager who is Pollyanna and one who is a total dick?

Of course there is.  But that isn’t what fans really want.  They want a fiery coach that gets in players faces and tells the fans what they want to hear.  They want accountability that can be seen from a fans point of view.  They’d rather have a manager that acts like Terry Collins or Larry Bowa than someone that is laid back.  However virtually none of us want to be lead by the type of manager they want to lead their favorite team.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course there is.  But that isn’t what fans really want.  They want a fiery coach that gets in players faces and tells the fans what they want to hear.  They want accountability that can be seen from a fans point of view.  They’d rather have a manager that acts like Terry Collins or Larry Bowa than someone that is laid back.  However virtually none of us want to be lead by the type of manager they want to lead their favorite team.  

It's funny because none of us here know what goes on behind closed doors in regards to coaches and players. Honestly, it really isn't our business either 

3 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

You don't speak for what all fans want.  I like Maddon's demeanor most of the time, and I don't want a team that requires a manager yelling constantly at his players.  I do want a manager who speaks something closer to the truth and holds players accountable.  There are different ways of doing that.  Look at the NBA finals as an example--two head coaches who seem like solid disciplinarians but you don't see them berating their players or insulting them in the postgame comments. 

When your team has no depth and isn’t performing there isn’t really a way to “hold players accountable”. 

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Have any of you had a boss that seemed unstable and talked down to everyone and was a total dick?  Did you enjoy working for them?  Did they get the best out of you?  

I have and it's the worst. I've made it a point to never treat the employees I supervise like that

2 minutes ago, SurfWriter said:

You don't speak for what all fans want.  I like Maddon's demeanor most of the time, and I don't want a team that requires a manager yelling constantly at his players.  I do want a manager who speaks something closer to the truth and holds players accountable.  There are different ways of doing that.  Look at the NBA finals as an example--two head coaches who seem like solid disciplinarians but you don't see them berating their players or insulting them in the postgame comments. 

I agree with this -- on paper. I like Joe Maddon in that he's sort of a Phil Jackson Lite. I don't think he has the players meditate, but I generally prefer it when people operate at a more humanistic level.

But the results aren't good. We can chalk up the last two years to covid and/or lack of talent and/or injuries. But this year? Something is missing from Maddon's repertoire.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The very best coaches, managers, leaders are the ones that can both create a positive and fun environment and still keep the lines of communication open to be able to tell a subordinate when they’re falling down on the job.  Very rare that you find that.  

1 minute ago, full circle said:

The very best coaches, managers, leaders are the ones that can both create a positive and fun environment and still keep the lines of communication open to be able to tell a subordinate when they’re falling down on the job.  Very rare that you find that.  

Yep, but we as fans will never know if that happens unless the players share it to the media that the coach or manager put them in their place.  If we hear about it from the manager then that is also a problem.