• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What have you watched recently? (Please use the hide function for spoilers or plot lines)

Passengers: A-

the visuals are stunning. if you like space, you'll greatly enjoy the scenery. 

it's an interesting premise. passengers are put into a hibernation sleep that's supposed to last almost the complete duration of a 120 year journey to Homestead II, a new planet that is being populated. One of them wakes up 90 years early, and the plot develops from there. The conflict between the two main characters is clearly going to happens, and the only question is how/if they'll resolve it.

My brother and I both greatly enjoyed this movie. I didn't like that it ended rather abruptly.

Watched La La Land yesterday.

While I loved the movie, I would like to go and see it again because I didn't see it in an ideal way. I had a free movie pass with only a limited time to sneak out yesterday for a bit, ended up getting the last ticket available of assigned seating and it was front row center. Terrible seat but enjoyed the hell out of the movie despite that. Just a very joyful movie which catches the feel of classic Gene Kelly and Jacques Demy musicals but with a modern setting.

I've been reading a lot of "horrible year for movies" talk on the internet and I don't see it. Unless people are specifically referring to a shitty a blockbuster summer, than yeah I guess, but I think it's been a pretty solid year this year. For the last 10 years, I always make an ongoing "Top 25" for each year, and when I look at what I have on there so far for 2016, I've been pretty happy with a lot that I've seen this year so far.

you made me curious, so i just checked all the movies released this year and have literally only gone to the movies twice this year, for triple 9 and hell or high water (after hohw i walked into mechanic: resurrection, but was the only one in the theater and fell asleep before the movie even started).

even looking at the list again, i really have no interest in watching a lot of these movies. some i would generally see at the theater, like bourne, while others i will catch on demand or hbo, etc. but even then i didn't rent any of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_film 

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Medici: Masters of Florence? It is on Netflix, and stars Dustin Hoffman, Brian Cox, the guy who played Robb Stark, and a bunch of other Game of Thrones Alumni. Seems interesting, but I don't want to waste my time if it sucks

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5057130/

59 minutes ago, Taggart said:

you made me curious, so i just checked all the movies released this year and have literally only gone to the movies twice this year, for triple 9 and hell or high water (after hohw i walked into mechanic: resurrection, but was the only one in the theater and fell asleep before the movie even started).

even looking at the list again, i really have no interest in watching a lot of these movies. some i would generally see at the theater, like bourne, while others i will catch on demand or hbo, etc. but even then i didn't rent any of these.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_film 

By "list" are you talking about the Top 10 grossing on that list? Because, yeah I agree, none of those would touch what I consider the best of the year. But if you're talking about the whole movie list as a whole for the year, I don't understand what context you could look at an enormous list like that and say nothing interests you. What do you base that on, the title, who's in it, who directed it? I understand I'm not the "general public" as I try to watch about 50-100 current movies each year, so I actively seek stuff out.

Just a few movies I'd toss out that are worth checking out:

Moonlight

Nocturnal Animals

Elle (Paul Verhoeven's first movie in like 10 years and it's Paul Verhoeven as hell)

The Handmaiden

Arrival

Manchester by the Sea

The Nice Guys

Hail, Caesar (this movie got so much better on a rewatch)

The Lobster

The Witch

Everybody Wants Some

The Edge of Seventeen

Hunt for the Wilderpeople

Sing Street

And a couple other random smaller movies that maybe only I would like but would recommend anyway to a lesser extent: Krisha, Love & Friendship, Things To Come, Indignation and Wiener-Dog.

It's more like Damien Chazelle jerking himself about jazz and basically remaking The Umbrellas of Cherbourg to an extent, but it's a blast to watch. This isn't a Chicago or The Artist type case. It's a very crowd-friendly movie with still a lot of artistic merit to it. It's a guy a who is a fan of musicals from the 50s and 60s and who is also obsessed with jazz and making it with today's technology. It's the same guy who directed Whiplash from a couple years ago which was also great.

Is it going to win Best Picture? Yeah probably. But that doesn't make it bad. It's a cheerful/charming film about L.A./Hollywood and reaching for your dreams in a year when people could probably use some uplift, so of course it'll probably win. Is it my favorite movie of the year? No, but it's up there. As of right now, I'd put Manchester By the Sea and Moonlight ahead of it.

It has backlash written all over it like any movie that gets praise because people like to hate. Hell, even No Country For Old Men got a ton of hate after it won, and that was one of the few years where they got it "right" though There Will Be Blood and Zodiac are right up there with it for me.

2 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

By "list" are you talking about the Top 10 grossing on that list? Because, yeah I agree, none of those would touch what I consider the best of the year. But if you're talking about the whole movie list as a whole for the year, I don't understand what context you could look at an enormous list like that and say nothing interests you. What do you base that on, the title, who's in it, who directed it? I understand I'm not the "general public" as I try to watch about 50-100 current movies each year, so I actively seek stuff out.

Moonlight

Nocturnal Animals

Elle (Paul Verhoeven's first movie in like 10 years and it's Paul Verhoeven as hell)

The Handmaiden

Arrival

Manchester by the Sea

The Nice Guys

The Lobster

The Witch

Everybody Wants Some

The Edge of Seventeen

Sing Street

And a couple other random smaller movies that maybe only I would like but would recommend anyway to a lesser extent: Krisha, Love & Friendship, Things To Come, Indignation and Wiener-Dog.

no, i hate the shit most people watch like x-men and cartoon movies. i think i'm actually more in tune with what you're interested, i'm just not into movies like you are or really overly artsy about them. outside of crime dramas, i actually prefer movies that make you think or move you......babel and gone baby gone come to mind.

i actually take a consensus of what you listed....title, who's in it, director, and generally a synopsis of what the movie entails. also, something i think is underrated but you mentioned, you have to be in the moment or right position to watch certain movies, i haven't really felt like that for some of the more serious movies. but at the same time i'm not going to watch melissa mccarthy movies or the plethora of comic book movies that have very much run their course.....it's like a boy band trend but has gone on for at least 10 years now.

as mentioned, some will be seen later. we will see.....there are still many movies i have kept telling myself i'll watch and deep down never will.

part of the issue with movies has simply been how good tv has been and character development. it's so engaging that movies can't touch that aspect. i felt like hell or high water had that. in normal movie contact it was good, but with the norm of story telling now it felt a bit simple or streamlined. by the time it ended i felt like, "oh, it's over now?" because they need to keep it around an hour and a half.

i'll probably watch la la land and some others like manchester at sea. and by all means, don't value my opinion on movies. i'm far from a movie critic and don't tend to watch much. 

3 hours ago, Sam Sanchez said:

Moonlight

Nocturnal Animals

The Handmaiden

Arrival

Manchester by the Sea

The Nice Guys

The Lobster

The Witch

Everybody Wants Some

The Edge of Seventeen

Sing Street

Wiener-Dog had one of the stupidest endings I've ever seen. I completely agree about Hail, Caesar. Liked it the first time, was laughing out loud the second time I saw it.

2 hours ago, Ray McKigney said:

I completely agree about Hail, Caesar. Liked it the first time, was laughing out loud the second time I saw it.

"Hail, Caesar (this movie got so much better on a re-watch)"

This movie was a complete disappointment and bore to me. I have no intention of watching it again. Hi Blarg!

On 12/15/2016 at 7:27 PM, cezero said:

The Rectify series finale ended perfectly. 

The conversation between Daniel and Kerwin about fanasies is where it really starts hitting every literary check mark, culminating with the final scene. 

Gift of a show. Clayne Crawford should've been nominated for every supporting actor award. His work was sublime. 

Binged the entire 4 seasons over the holiday. 

It was, overall, a piece of art. Deeply emotional and spectacularly acted. Thanks to this thread for bringing it to my attention!  

Just finished the OA

Spoiler

what the fuck...did the producer for the Killing and Walking Dead have a hand in this? And seriously...where the hell did the African Anteater ritual come from? that just pissed me off. And Saturn...where the fuck did Saturn's rings come from? All that's missing is the giant Ghost Shark fonzi jumped over.

On 12/26/2016 at 0:08 PM, Sam Sanchez said:

Moonlight

Nocturnal Animals

The Handmaiden

Arrival

Manchester by the Sea

The Nice Guys

The Lobster

The Witch

Everybody Wants Some

The Edge of Seventeen

Sing Street

I'm curious to know what you found interesting about Everybody Wants Some.  I thought it was a huge disappointment in that everything Linklater did well in Dazed & Confused fell completely flat  in EWS, at least for me.  Perhaps I was viewing it as D&C part 2 and didn't allow it to be its own movie but still, I couldn't help but to not care for the characters.  What would you say were its positives?

I watched EWS last week as it was available on one of the streaming sling channels.  I enjoyed D&C and will watch it if I come across it but it's not the type of movie I need a sequel of and if that's what I heard EWS was I probably wouldn't have bothered with it.  EWS was a different character study showing guys who were all state baseball players in high school going off to college where they start all over and no one gives a shit who they were before.  Obviously one of the guys tells the main character just that and it's reinforced towards the end when the captain of the team humbles him and the weird guy who is amped up and buying his own hype as a legit prospect.  I think D&C had some similarities with incoming freshman to high school dealing with a few alphas but it was looking at a different group.  The ending kind of just happened but then I remembered it was a  Linklater film and it didn't bother me as much.

Last week I saw Assassins Creed and Rogue One.  Assassins Creed was a time waster because I got off early and had some work being done at my place so nowhere to go.  I know of the games but never played them so no idea how much ties into the games or if they took liberties that will piss off the hardcore fans but it was what I expected.  I enjoyed Rogue One as well largely because I don't have to wait 2 more years for them to wrap it up since it was a stand alone taking place before episode 4.    

On 12/26/2016 at 5:51 PM, Tank said:

"Hail, Caesar (this movie got so much better on a re-watch)"

This movie was a complete disappointment and bore to me. I have no intention of watching it again. Hi Blarg!

I know you thought you were going to a Gladiator movie and hoped to see homoerotic hot tub scene with George Clooney but unfortunately this film had a storyline instead. Sorry you were disappointed.

For me, Everybody Wants Some was just a very fun hangout movie thought I actually did find funny. But beyond that, echoing a bit what Mr. Cat who shat said, it's about guys just about entering college and having the chance to basically establish a new identity, which is shown in the distinctly different parties they attend. I don't think you're necessary supposed to view at as D&C 2 but I think it definitely works as a spiritual successor to it. Basically picks off where D&C leaves off in that takes place last days of High School in the mid to late 70s, and now it's guys about to enter college in 1980 and showing that nothing that came before really mattered.

In the end though, I think it's just a fun movie to watch.

On December 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM, gotbeer said:

Here is the timeline between Disney and Pixar.  I think in bold is their better hits, not including Moana.  And Big Hero six should be part of Marvel Anim

On December 2, 2016 at 7:48 PM, gotbeer said:

Dumbo     October 23, 1941     Walt Disney Animation Studios     
Bambi     August 13, 1942     Walt Disney Animation Studios     

Saludos Amigos     August 24, 1942     Walt Disney Animation Studios   

Racist