• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Are Jinxes Real?

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

There’s no reason we can’t discuss it, but the players shouldn’t and the broadcasters shouldn’t. I’d rather the reporters I follow on Twitter don’t either. Just saw what’s going on with out mentioning no hitter or perfect game.

You mean you can say “Reid Detmers has not allowed a hit” but you can’t say “Reid Detmers is throwing a no-hitter”?

A story about Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964. He wanted to talk all about it in the dugout from about the 5th inning on and the players all moved away from him. He followed them, still chatting about it.

Bunning enjoyed an easy sixth inning, and when he returned to the dugout he really began jabbering about the possibility of perfection. “He was coming into the dugout, yelling at the guys, and counting down the outs,” said Phillies manager Gene Mauch later.

https://sabr.org/journal/article/1964-phillies-jim-bunnings-perfect-game/

It depends on what you think a “jinx” is.

if you are in the dugout with a guy throwing a no-hitter, can you “jinx” him by openly talking about it?  You could say yes. Because you can get in his head about it.  It’s his no-hitter so you just let him deal with it by himself mentally.  But you could also have an effect on his mindset by obviously ignoring it too.  Again, it’s his no-hitter.  I think it’s probably the correct thing to do to just leave him alone on the subject and let him mentally manage it without outside comments.

But the idea that this somehow has evolved into people thinking the broadcaster should not mention it is, to me anyway, kind of silly.  Or that fans watching the game shouldn’t say “no hitter” to prevent jinxing it. . . I mean I guess if you believe in magic, witchcraft, and spells.

Personally I think the broadcaster should be openly talking about it because they are tasked with communicating what is actually going on in the game.

Edited by Dtwncbad

I was watching a piece that came across my Facebook feed yesterday. All 27 outs of Dallas Braden's perfect game in 2010, condensed to 7 minutes.

Kevin Kouzmanoff made a wonderful play to stop a ball rocketed down the third base line for the first out in that game. Looking back in history, Tony Taylor made a great diving stop of a ball heading to right field in the 5th inning of Bunning's perfect game, and there was the great running catch that Mantle made to preserve Don Larsen's perfecto in the 1956 World Series.

Baseball is a game of inches, seconds, and every single pitch is alive with possibilities. I don't believe in jinxes. 

And I have talked about this before but to me a “no-hitter” really is a term that should represent an individual accomplishment where one pitcher pitches a complete game without giving up a hit.

One of the MOST impressive element of a guy throwing a no-hitter is the fact that they got each hitter out multiple times in the cat-and-mouse game between that pitcher and the hitters.  It is really hard for a pitcher to do that because hitters adjust and the pitcher gets more tired as the game goes on.

So I personally don’t like listing “combined no-hitters” along side no-hitters pitched by one pitcher.  To me, it is the fact that ONE pitcher could pitch the whole game and conquer each hitter multiple times that is impressive.

Yes I fully understand the indisputable fact that if a team gets zero hits in a game off multiple pitchers that the zero hits is notable. . . basically to me it is about a wash between there was some really good pitching today and the teams offense failed to have any success at all.

That is just so different than one guy retiring 27 giving up no hits.

We recognize the cycle when one player hits for the cycle.  If a guy starts in LF and has a homer and a double, and then is replace by another outfielder in the sixth inning and that guy gets a single and a triple in the game we do not talk about the “combined cycle” and list it among the historical cycles in the teams history.

Give me a separate list of games where teams got no hits that would include combined no hitters that represent a notable combination of some impressive pitching and a team that had zero offense that day.

And then give me an exclusive list of no-hitters pitched by individual pitchers that represents a certain threshold of an individual pitching performance that is an individual achievement.

I kind of roll my eyes a bit when people talk about no-hitters in Angel history if they include combined no-hitters as if they belong in that same context of being a pitching achievement. Not even remotely close to the same.

Edited by Dtwncbad

11 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You mean you can say “Reid Detmers has not allowed a hit” but you can’t say “Reid Detmers is throwing a no-hitter”?

Exactly. I know, it's weird. 

In the movie "For Love of the Game" the commentators for the Tigers are Steve Lyons, and Vin Scully. 

Scully does it perfectly.

Pun intended.

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

I was watching a piece that came across my Facebook feed yesterday. All 27 outs of Dallas Braden's perfect game in 2010, condensed to 7 minutes.

Kevin Kouzmanoff made a wonderful play to stop a ball rocketed down the third base line for the first out in that game. Looking back in history, Tony Taylor made a great diving stop of a ball heading to right field in the 5th inning of Bunning's perfect game, and there was the great running catch that Mantle made to preserve Don Larsen's perfecto in the 1956 World Series.

Baseball is a game of inches, seconds, and every single pitch is alive with possibilities. I don't believe in jinxes. 

I definitely recall Robin Yount once making a diving catch in CF for the last out to save a no-hitter for a Brewers pitcher (although the replay shows it was one of those controlled dives where maybe maybe he didn’t absolutely need to dive. . . . But  an exciting way to end that game anyway).

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

One of the MOST impressive element of a guy throwing a no-hitter is the fact that they got each hitter out multiple times in the cat-and-mouse game between that pitcher and the hitters.  It is really hard for a pitcher to do that because hitters adjust and the pitcher gets more tired as the game goes on.

Cricket has oodles of that, with the added dynamic of a ball that deteriorates as the game goes on and requires a different mind-set from the bowlers. The nuanced battle between a particular bowler and batter is a highlight and cornerstone of cricket. It's possibly my favourite aspect of the game.

28 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

Cricket has oodles of that, with the added dynamic of a ball that deteriorates as the game goes on and requires a different mind-set from the bowlers. The nuanced battle between a particular bowler and batter is a highlight and cornerstone of cricket. It's possibly my favourite aspect of the game.

I was going to say you lost me at “oodles” but truthfully you lost me at “cricket.”

4 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

A story about Jim Bunning's perfect game in 1964. He wanted to talk all about it in the dugout from about the 5th inning on and the players all moved away from him. He followed them, still chatting about it.

Bunning enjoyed an easy sixth inning, and when he returned to the dugout he really began jabbering about the possibility of perfection. “He was coming into the dugout, yelling at the guys, and counting down the outs,” said Phillies manager Gene Mauch later.

https://sabr.org/journal/article/1964-phillies-jim-bunnings-perfect-game/

Great story!