• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How long of a leash for Detmers…

…before getting sent to SLC?

One more start?

Two more starts?

Sink or swim with him in that rotation spot?

He’s still struggling with command at this level, no real change from a year ago.

Still only been under 2 years since he was drafted, and still only 22.

Barria is the better starter at this point.

Barria has been good out of the pen this year so far. As the long man, he's likely to give a run up here or there, just like the starters.

I think Detmers has a few more starts to be better, his first start was ok, his second wasn't. But Until Canning is back and pitching well, I don't think they'll send him down to AAA.

Also, he was quite good in the minors in 2021, In 12 starts in AA he had a 3.5 ERA and in 2 starts for AAA he had a 1.13 ERA  @Angel Oracle

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that he struggled in his AAA starts as well in 2021.

In my opinion, the only way to get better is to take your lumps. At this point, he's getting on the job training and i'd rather have him getting that coming into the dugout with the professional staff. The alternative isnt likely that big of an improvement.

Are we serious here? Dude had a decent spring and has 2 regular season starts. First start was certainly OK under the circumstances. His second start was rougher, but partly sabotaged by the infamous intentional walk.

Take a breath people.

I was wondering this myself. For some reason 5-6 starts comes to mind - that they'll want to give him a chance to adjust and fine-tune. But I don't think he'd be given less than that, and only be sent down if he there was no sign of improvement.

But it also depends start to start. If he gets totally blown out in his next start, there's also the possibility of skipping him in the rotation, either via an off day or having Barria pitch the first three innings.

Edited by Angelsjunky

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Barria has been good out of the pen this year so far. As the long man, he's likely to give a run up here or there, just like the starters.

I think Detmers has a few more starts to be better, his first start was ok, his second wasn't. But Until Canning is back and pitching well, I don't think they'll send him down to AAA.

Also, he was quite good in the minors in 2021, In 12 starts in AA he had a 3.5 ERA and in 2 starts for AAA he had a 1.13 ERA  @Angel Oracle

I knew that his AA time was a success, albeit only 4.5 innings per start partly due to high pitch counts from 97 Ks in 54 innings.

I was mistaken about AAA numbers, only two starts although in one allowing 5 baserunners in 2 innings.

He only pitched 62 innings in the minors.   Maybe he needs a little more time to improve the command?

He is fine. We need him to build confidence if he's going to become a front rotation type guys, a 2 or 3. You don't get that by being moved up and down. Anybody that thinks Barria is a better pitcher than Detmers is nuts. Detmers is 22 with better velocity, movement, off-speed, and an actual wipeout pitch. Barria is who he is--an innings eating, 4.50 ERA guy that has a low 90's FB with very little movement and 2 average off-speed pitches. That's not a better option than what we want Detmers to become. He's 22 and learning. You leave him in unless his ERA climbs above 6. They gave another young lefty 15 starts and 75 innings to figure it out, he got rocked but learned. Came back the next year and was phenomenal in 14 starts (Sandoval). 

@Angel Oracle way too early for a post like this. Detmers is our top prospect and has a lot more to offer out of the rotation than Barria IMO. 

The Angels are going to give him a long leash this season and he's going to have some starts like Ohtani's last start and some solid starts as well. All part of the learning process in the big leagues. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Except that he struggled in his AAA starts as well in 2021.

Detmers?  He had two AAA starts, put up a 1.13 ERA.  Detmers has made a grand total of 14 minor league starts.

They need to stick with him for a bit.  If they want to they can baby him a bit, skip unfavorable starts if they can or have him tandem start with Barria.

Fans need to be patient with him.