• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I moved to Hawaii.

Been to Hawaii about 8 times now to 3 of the 4 main islands and spent a few days on Lanai as I mentioned earlier in the thread.  Never had an issue but I know there's locals who don't like mainlanders and tourists which I get because sooner or later you've got people visiting who disrespect the area and crowds which are never fun.  Last year when we were headed to Maui with travel picking back up there were articles talking about how locals were angry with tourists clogging up local beaches in Wailea and Kihei.  Spoke to a few people when we were there and they said the issue was the hotels that were taking up space on the sand with chairs/umbrellas.  They're only supposed to put them out when people are using them yet they had them up early morning when no one was using them which reduced the space available to people who walked or drove to the beach.  Hope to be back later this year and like every other visit we'll be respectful of the area and the locals and not ruin it for anyone else.     

14 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

Been to Hawaii about 8 times now to 3 of the 4 main islands and spent a few days on Lanai as I mentioned earlier in the thread.  Never had an issue but I know there's locals who don't like mainlanders and tourists which I get because sooner or later you've got people visiting who disrespect the area and crowds which are never fun.  Last year when we were headed to Maui with travel picking back up there were articles talking about how locals were angry with tourists clogging up local beaches in Wailea and Kihei.  Spoke to a few people when we were there and they said the issue was the hotels that were taking up space on the sand with chairs/umbrellas.  They're only supposed to put them out when people are using them yet they had them up early morning when no one was using them which reduced the space available to people who walked or drove to the beach.  Hope to be back later this year and like every other visit we'll be respectful of the area and the locals and not ruin it for anyone else.     

You clearly don't have any real world experience like cals or Larry.

1 hour ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

You sound like an adult.

Locals here are generally friendly, gracious, and hard working. Just about everyone works multiple jobs. “Island time” is a thing though, things get done at a slower pace than on the mainland. One of the most refreshing things about moving here has been the fact that my patients are appreciative and polite. I had worked for the same hospital on the mainland for more than a decade and the average patient had become incredibly entitled and angry (mostly white people, sorry Cals). There is a some annoyance with tourists, but I don’t find it to be any different than the annoyance locals feel toward tourists anywhere else I have lived. 

Meh. It’s hit and miss. I’ve seen the locals be awesome and awful. I can believe that on Lanai everyone is laid back as it’s one of the most unpopulated islands in the state but there are pockets of people on the other islands that don’t take kindly to tourists. If you’re driving a Jeep instead of a muddy Tacoma you’ll get different looks on the road. 

There’s a privately owned beach north of Kapalua that has great snorkeling/diving. The family that owns it charges a small fee which is just fine as it’s their land. They are kind and give you advice where to go and not to go. One piece of advice they’ve given me each time I’ve been there is to stay away from the south end of the beach. That side is where the locals like to throw rocks at the tourists from the overlook 30 ft. above the shore. 

2 minutes ago, cals said:

What’s hilarious is that Taylor is only failing to defend the victims here because they’re white and the perps are brown.  

What's hilarious is that cals is playing the victim here instead of taking responsibility for his own misfortune.

10 hours ago, cals said:

Well fuck sake, how can we even have a discussion if you won’t read a source I’ve posted.  It’s not foxnews.com, it’s the preeminent civil rights legal organization in America.  One whose political leanings seemingly are pretty close to yours.  If you are actually interested in understanding what I’m talking about, I suggest you read it.  

Or don’t.

Pass.

On 4/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, cals said:

Or the children who were attacked for being white.

Beat up a haole day.  It is a real thing.

My dad, who passed away two years ago, lived in Hawaii for the last decade of his life and there off and on for thirty years before that.  He had a Hawaiian wife and her family is completely awesome.  I don't think Hawaii is any different than anywhere else, lots of cool people and a few a-holes.

Of course they don't like the massive amounts of tourists that hit their beaches but most beach towns in SoCal are the same way toward "inlanders"

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

Of course they don't like the massive amounts of tourists that hit their beaches but most beach towns in SoCal are the same way toward "inlanders

This seems to be more of a surfer thing from my limited experience. When I was in high school in Newbury Park, we’d go surfing in Ventura. We learned quickly to stay away from the locals as they clearly let us know that it was their beach and we weren’t welcome. One of them even pulled a knife on one of my buddies. We learned to keep our distance from them. 

9 hours ago, cals said:

Did he?

The last day of school has long been unofficially designated "Kill Haole Day," with white students singled out for harassment and violence. (Haole — pronounced how-lee — is slang for a foreigner, usually white, and sometimes is used as a racial slur.)

A non-Native Hawaiian student who challenged the Hawaiian-preference admission policy at a wealthy private school received a $7 million settlement this year.

A 12-year-old white girl new to Hawaii from New York City needed 10 surgical staples to close a gash in her head incurred when she was beaten in 2007 by a Native Hawaiian girl who called her a "f------ haole."

A vocal segment of Native Hawaiians is pushing for independence to end the "prolonged occupation" by the United States and governance by natives.

Demonstrators shouting racial epithets at whites disrupted a statehood celebration in 2006.

I know someone (white guy) whose family lived in Hawaii when he was in high school. He said he experienced a ton of discrimination and bullying for being white, so much so that it now helps him understand what Black people and other minority groups have experienced for centuries.

So I believe that ingrained prejudice exists in Hawaii. But I also know that you and Larry are the only two people I've ever heard share that they've been harassed while on vacation in Hawaii. Maybe you guys are just really unlucky and have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

11 minutes ago, cals said:

No, again, Larry and I likely are the only ones  who have experienced Hawaii beyond the pre-packaged tourist resort bullshit.

Let me give you an example.  So years ago I went to Oahu after a breakup and unfortunately my ex and her new dude, this  England weirdo, we’re staying at the same place.  I befriended the girl who worked at the front desk and she took me out.  We were at a beach party and the dude who was always super cool to me at the hotel buffet (he would sneak me free drinks) just attacked me out of nowhere for being a Haole.  Thank God the fat guy who worked at the bar was there too and he held the guy back.  It was crazy.

This was while you were working as the jingle composer, right?