• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I moved to Hawaii.

I love Hawaii. Been going there 1x/2x year for the past 20+ years. Regarding the locals, Cals is right. But so is Taylor.

90% of the people I come across working in the restaurants, shops, etc. are cool as hell. You smile first, ask them how their day is going, don't be pushy, they're super cool. 

Of course there's always a-holes, and Hawaiians in general are confrontational, so they'll tell you "eh, you fukked up" if they see you doing something wrong. Don't speed in neighborhoods, don't illegally park on the side of roads, don't stop in the middle of a road to take pics, don't cut in line, don't be loud. You know, normal stuff that you wouldn't even think of doing here. 

I surf a lot while there, some spots that are more regulated by the locals, and I've come across some pretty serious "mokes", in which I need to watch myself. Never had any problems. 

Give more than you take and you'll be fine. 

11 minutes ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

So if you're not an asshole, not looking for confrontation and you respect the land and other people around you 99%+ of the time you'll be fine.  It's so simple in theory but impossible to pull off because there's no shortage of assholes in any given area.

There is a “No A-Hole” zone in my “imaginarium.”

Happy Rainbow GIF by Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

On 4/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, cals said:

No, again, Larry and I likely are the only ones  who have experienced Hawaii beyond the pre-packaged tourist resort bullshit.

Let me give you an example.  So years ago I went to Oahu after a breakup and unfortunately my ex and her new dude, this  England weirdo, we’re staying at the same place.  I befriended the girl who worked at the front desk and she took me out.  We were at a beach party and the dude who was always super cool to me at the hotel buffet (he would sneak me free drinks) just attacked me out of nowhere for being a Haole.  Thank God the fat guy who worked at the bar was there too and he held the guy back.  It was crazy.

This reads like an outtake from Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

20 hours ago, cals said:

No, they were garbage back then, too.  This is the thing, if I didn’t know better I would have no reason to think these things weren’t isolated incidents.  But since I am aware of the shit attitude here I know better.  You probably witnessed it here in 2009, but you probably dismissed it or thought “hey that individual Hawaiian man is an asshole”.  I would have seen the same thing and understood it was a episode of general Hawaiian fuckfacery.

Serious question: why do you still visit Hawaii?

19 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

I love Hawaii. Been going there 1x/2x year for the past 20+ years. Regarding the locals, Cals is right. But so is Taylor.

90% of the people I come across working in the restaurants, shops, etc. are cool as hell. You smile first, ask them how their day is going, don't be pushy, they're super cool. 

Of course there's always a-holes, and Hawaiians in general are confrontational, so they'll tell you "eh, you fukked up" if they see you doing something wrong. Don't speed in neighborhoods, don't illegally park on the side of roads, don't stop in the middle of a road to take pics, don't cut in line, don't be loud. You know, normal stuff that you wouldn't even think of doing here. 

I surf a lot while there, some spots that are more regulated by the locals, and I've come across some pretty serious "mokes", in which I need to watch myself. Never had any problems. 

Sage advice for visiting anywhere on the planet, really.

Bear in mind, everyone who lives in any place worth visiting has had really shitty experiences with tourists - if you're identifiable as a tourist, you're already in negative territory because of those who came before you.  

Dress and act like a local, and be a little extra kind - project a friendly chill persona, without being intrusive - a smile, a friendly word, and courtesy goes a long way.

(YMMV in certain IED-infested neighborhoods)

19 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Sounds like I'm (along with everyone else except Larry) way more right than cals in this instance.