• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So I moved to Hawaii.

Aloha!

I really enjoy going to Hawaii. My wife and I have thought many times about moving there. Our last trip was to Kauai and we liked the laid back atmosphere. I've heard that Lanai is even more kick back. Being by the ocean and beaches feels so healthy and Hawaii is so beautiful.

You are very fortunate to be able to live there. Hopefully you have a way to make a good living to afford it.

Enjoy your life

It's always good to hear when someone makes a move and is now happier. I wish more people would do that. 

I have never been to Hawaii. That - along with Alaska - are the only two states to which I have not been. And I never thought I would visit, however last month my best friend from junior high/high school visited me in Colorado. That was the first time I had seen him since he joined the Coast Guard in 2006 and I cannot describe how good it was to see him again. 

He has been stationed in Hawaii (and Guam) for the last decade and I promised him that I would come visit within the next year. 

Lanai is very rural. Larry Ellison owns 98% of the island, so development is tightly controlled. It’s a pretty cool spot. Great beaches about 10 minutes away. Weather is ideal for me, rarely over high 70s and it’s a deep freeze here when the temps drop into the 50s at night. Not too much rain. No traffic, no fast food. Maui is a 45 minute ferry ride away. It’s tough to find housing here, that’s the biggest drawback I’ve come across. It’s not the most exciting island, but worth a visit if you are in Maui for sure.

We spent two nights in Hotel Lanai on Lanai in 2019 on one of our Maui trips.  Really enjoyed it but it's definitely super laid back while the only other hotel option we came across was the four seasons which at the time was running $1K+ a night.  When we arrived our cab driver warned us if we rented a car to watch out for the deer at night and driving back one night from dinner at the Four Seasons out of the corner of my eye I saw a herd of them bolt across the road so I slowed to a stop.  One of the days we drove to the other side of the island and spent time there while checking out shipwreck beach.  Our cab driver and a few other locals implied that Ellison allowed Hawaiians who own property to continue owning it but it sounded like when he bought the island their rights more or less turned into land lease rights that revert to him if they sell.  Still seems crazy to me that someone was allowed to buy a Hawaiian island.  That said I know his goal is self sustainability for the island and it sounds like he's done the island well but I'm sure plenty of Hawaiians aren't happy a rich Haole bought it.

12 hours ago, halodground said:

I’ve been on this forum for a long time (since 08 at least) and mostly just lurk. Posted a bit way back when but busy jobs, kids etc. kept my from being as active as I’d like. I moved to Hawaii, Lanai specifically, in November and find myself with more time to be an active member. Any other Halo fans living in the islands on here?  I can’t say enough about the lifestyle and quality of life here. I went from busting my ass and never having enough time to even breathe to a much slower, more humane life. So far, so good:)

congratulations!

i especially liked the part where you said any of us can come and stay with you for free any time we like. thanks! how's next tuesday thru sunday?

31 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Lanai has a cat sanctuary that I want to visit someday.

https://lanaicatsanctuary.org/

The cat sanctuary is actually really cool. Over 600 cats that were feral a decade ago and now live in cat paradise. And it only smells like cat pee when the wind isn’t right:)

4 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

We spent two nights in Hotel Lanai on Lanai in 2019 on one of our Maui trips.  Really enjoyed it but it's definitely super laid back while the only other hotel option we came across was the four seasons which at the time was running $1K+ a night.  When we arrived our cab driver warned us if we rented a car to watch out for the deer at night and driving back one night from dinner at the Four Seasons out of the corner of my eye I saw a herd of them bolt across the road so I slowed to a stop.  One of the days we drove to the other side of the island and spent time there while checking out shipwreck beach.  Our cab driver and a few other locals implied that Ellison allowed Hawaiians who own property to continue owning it but it sounded like when he bought the island their rights more or less turned into land lease rights that revert to him if they sell.  Still seems crazy to me that someone was allowed to buy a Hawaiian island.  That said I know his goal is self sustainability for the island and it sounds like he's done the island well but I'm sure plenty of Hawaiians aren't happy a rich Haole bought it.

When I first got here it had been very dry for several months and the deer had taken up residence in town since that’s where the food sources were. It was nuts. Huge herds in every open space. We’ve had a rainy spring so they’ve moved back to the mountain. There are over 30,000 of them on this little island. They have full time jobs filled to just cull the herd. Lots of wild turkeys here too. The island has been privately owned for so long that it’s basically just maintaining the status quo. Ellison has invested a good bit in the island and he paid everyone throughout COVID when the resorts were shut down, so he might be viewed a little more positively by some. Shipwreck is a hidden gem. You can walk miles with views of Molokai and Maui and not pass another human. Great spot.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

congratulations!

i especially liked the part where you said any of us can come and stay with you for free any time we like. thanks! how's next tuesday thru sunday?

Door is always open. Hope you like dogs, cats, children, and tight spaces! We have an inflatable mattress available any time. Plenty of room in the studio apartment we are currently living in🤣

1 hour ago, Lhalo said:

I want to go on an axis deer hunting trip to Lanai. I’m taking a catamaran booze/bbq cruise out there next month from Maui and I’m going to ask around about it. Do you ever hunt out there?

No, never really been into hunting. But I hear that the axis deer meat is fantastic though. Not gamey and lean. Lots of people come here just to hunt. I know they award tags year round, and they are pretty easy to get. That’s about the extent of my knowledge. 

7 hours ago, cals said:

I’m headed to Kauai and Maui on Monday and I used to try to be polite to locals and follow whatever nonsense local customs they have.  But after being treated like garbage for years I now just act like a complete Haole asshole to remind them who is really in charge.

They had a tiny glimpse of what their paradise could have been without us haoles because of Covid, so I’m going to be extra obnoxious this trip.  And it’s going to be glorious. 

You and @Lhalo are the only people I've ever seen complain about Hawaiian locals not being friendly. I wonder why that is.

18 minutes ago, cals said:

Maybe because Larry and I are the only ones who venture beyond the resorts and have experienced “real” Hawaii.  

Imagine that, Larry and I basing opinions on real world experience.  I understand that concept is foreign to you.

We spent a week on Kauai last year and covered the whole island (which isn't very hard to do). Nothing but pleasant experiences with the locals. Small sample size, I know. But based on everyone else I've talked to they all say the same thing, "Hawaiian locals are so friendly."

Except you and Larry.