• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

No news, I'm drinking, lets fight

15 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Like AP!

What I don't get about Pujols is that he hasn't gotten even worse. He's sucked at a similar level for five years. maybe he can continue this level of mediocrity through the next ten, so we don't have to deal with his stupid service contract. On the other hand, maybe he has contacts in the DR, to kidnap bring over 14-year old athletic phenoms.

My take is that the old guys faced far less defense (players and pitching) than the guys today. Bottom line.

The old legends may still be really good today, but theyd be "really good", not "god"

Case in point. Blacks werent allowed in the game until the 50s. Once they were allowed in, they started grabbing MVPs

Because the league as a whole was amateur, with some good guys mixed in.

• Chuck changed the title to No news, I'm drinking, lets fight
3 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

My take is that the old guys faced far less defense (players and pitching) than the guys today. Bottom line.

The old legends may still be really good today, but theyd be "really good", not "god"

Case in point. Blacks werent allowed in the game until the 50s. Once they were allowed in, they started grabbing MVPs

To test this, you'd have to look at a bunch of top players in 1946 and compare their performance in the late 40s, once the league diversified. 

I've been thinking that the late 40s and 50s were one of the most talent-dense eras, because it was still pre-expansion, but there was a huge influx of new talent. Only 16 teams, but white and black players, and increasing numbers of international players.

22 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

To test this, you'd have to look at a bunch of top players in 1946 and compare their performance in the late 40s, once the league diversified. 

I've been thinking that the late 40s and 50s were one of the most talent-dense eras, because it was still pre-expansion, but there was a huge influx of new talent. Only 16 teams, but white and black players, and increasing numbers of international players.

Heres the wrinkle in the 40s.

Literally, entire crop of the draft class went to war.

"You can play baseball? Cool! You can carry mortar rounds, and carry a rifle!" And when they came home, they didnt (mostly) go play baseball. They used their GI bill to go to college and try to learn business. 

50 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

What I don't get about Pujols is that he hasn't gotten even worse. He's sucked at a similar level for five years. maybe he can continue this level of mediocrity through the next ten, so we don't have to deal with his stupid service contract. On the other hand, maybe he has contacts in the DR, to kidnap bring over 17 year olds pretending to be 14-year old athletic phenoms.

Fixed

10 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Today's players are better... It's not close.  Imagine any modern pitcher throwing sliders for the old higher mound....  

Ted Williams was a genuine freak ... Legendary eyesight.

Rogers Hornsby was another.   Refrained from watching movies to preserve it.   Allegedly could read the spin on the pitch.

8 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The BAs were crazy high until the 1940s.  Especially 1930, where it seemed that quite a few TEAMS batted at least .300.

Would a great modern player still be great if they had the same limited analytical information and athletic training knowledge that historical great players had?  Conversely, would a great historical player be even better if provided with the same level of analytical information and athletic training knowledge available today?  Imagine Satchel Paige, Walter Johnson or Bob Gibson being able to access something like Driveline during their time?

2 hours ago, arch stanton said:

You might also mention that certain hitters today would never get away with plate diving the way they do. They'd have to adjust their hitting style or learn to love the taste of horsehide

I'd love to see Anthony Rizzo try and play in the league 60 years ago. If I was facing him my instinct would be to just go up and in on him every time.

16 hours ago, Junkballer said:

I wonder how great Bob Gibson would be in today's game.  His fastball sat between 88-91 although it is said he could top out at 95.  He wouldn't have the benefit of the mound and  it's questionable if he would be as intimidating with his inside game and chin music.  He would be very good I think but not the Bob Gibson as remembered.  Koufax on the other hand...

In todays game! 10 teams would try to change his mechanics as with many of the old timers...