• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels GM Perry Minasian believes he added impact with 4 pitchers signed before lockout

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You just don't know any of this. For most guys, it's not only dollars and cents. Some guys just want to play for one team or don't want to play for another team, for whatever reason. So you can't just assume that the Angels could have had anyone they wanted.

Remember Zack Wheeler? The deal with him was his wife was pregnant so he wanted to be on the East Coast. You usually don't know why deals don't happen.

It's also possible that the Angels know something about the guy that makes them not want a certain pitcher. The world freaked out when they passed on Kumar Rocker too. A bunch of the other free agents in past years that fans wanted ended up being busts or bad deals. (Strasburg, Corbin, Bumgarner, Keuchel, etc.)

Also, maybe they did want Gray and did want him at that price, but they couldn't commit to him until they found out about some other deals first, and Gray decided he didn't want to wait.

I'm not saying you guys don't have a right to have an opinion or be frustrated. But be aware that your opinions are based on very incomplete information.

I hope every AW poster read this...

BTW... Looking at Corbin's numbers last year.... Whoa.  Gave up 37 homers... and just sucked all the way around.

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You just don't know any of this. For most guys, it's not only dollars and cents. Some guys just want to play for one team or don't want to play for another team, for whatever reason. So you can't just assume that the Angels could have had anyone they wanted.

Remember Zack Wheeler? The deal with him was his wife was pregnant so he wanted to be on the East Coast. You usually don't know why deals don't happen.

It's also possible that the Angels know something about the guy that makes them not want a certain pitcher. The world freaked out when they passed on Kumar Rocker too. A bunch of the other free agents in past years that fans wanted ended up being busts or bad deals. (Strasburg, Corbin, Bumgarner, Keuchel, etc.)

Also, maybe they did want Gray and did want him at that price, but they couldn't commit to him until they found out about some other deals first, and Gray decided he didn't want to wait.

I'm not saying you guys don't have a right to have an opinion or be frustrated. But be aware that your opinions are based on very incomplete information.

i think many of us already understood that, but the angels can't keep hanging their hat on every single frontline starter "wanted to live somewhere else" every single offseason. it's just not believable after years of the same results. my response to that answer is, why don't the frontline position players want to live somewhere else? we haven't had a problem signing those guys to big contracts over recent history.

44 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i think many of us already understood that, but the angels can't keep hanging their hat on every single frontline starter "wanted to live somewhere else" every single offseason. it's just not believable after years of the same results. my response to that answer is, why don't the frontline position players want to live somewhere else? we haven't had a problem signing those guys to big contracts over recent history.

It’s a real mystery. 

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

You’re talking about a pretty small sample size. 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You’re talking about a pretty small sample size. 

i can accept that as a factor, but i don't think i agree that the sample size is really that small. there are 30 teams and it's not like the FA's have their pick of the lot. i think most frontline FA field around an average of 3 legitimately similar competitive offers, with any other offers falling well short of consideration. if you agree with that being approximately right, then how many times are the angels supposedly missing on 2-1 odds. i could do better than that just rolling the dice. i just don't believe it anymore. 

i understand your professional position, and clearly you know more than i do, but something is dysfunctional within the angel hierarchy, above the general manager. 

i'm curious if you can freely say whether or not the angels organization is aware of the level of dissatisfaction with arte and carpino, beyond the basic "we haven't made the playoffs" cries. are they aware there is a growing sentiment among the hardcore fans that they would like to see carpino replaced and for arte to sell the team? in my opinion, it is the fear of the devil you don't know that keeps many fans from wishing arte would sell.

10 hours ago, Dollar Bill said:

Andrew Friedman: "If you're always rational about every free agent, you will finish third on every free agent."

Yep.

I wish the Angels were more irrational when pursuing deals with front-end starting pitchers. Evidently, the irrationality is only reserved for hitters.

16 hours ago, ukyah said:

i can accept that as a factor, but i don't think i agree that the sample size is really that small. there are 30 teams and it's not like the FA's have their pick of the lot. i think most frontline FA field around an average of 3 legitimately similar competitive offers, with any other offers falling well short of consideration. if you agree with that being approximately right, then how many times are the angels supposedly missing on 2-1 odds. i could do better than that just rolling the dice. i just don't believe it anymore. 

i understand your professional position, and clearly you know more than i do, but something is dysfunctional within the angel hierarchy, above the general manager. 

i'm curious if you can freely say whether or not the angels organization is aware of the level of dissatisfaction with arte and carpino, beyond the basic "we haven't made the playoffs" cries. are they aware there is a growing sentiment among the hardcore fans that they would like to see carpino replaced and for arte to sell the team? in my opinion, it is the fear of the devil you don't know that keeps many fans from wishing arte would sell.

I mean your sample size on position players picking the Angels is small. It’s 3 guys in 10 years. 

I think it’s true that the Angels are less tolerant for the risk of pitchers than position players, but arguably that’s an appropriate decision because pitchers fail more than position players. 

I would say there are probably 3 pitchers a year they’ve been legit in the mix for of the 15M+ AAV caliber. And no they haven’t gotten any of them. Under normal circumstances they’ve have gotten maybe 1 or 2 of those. One every 4 years maybe. So they’re at 0.

Anyway, you’re still talking about small samples. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

9 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I mean your sample size on position players picking the Angels is small. It’s 3 guys in 10 years. 

I think it’s true that the Angels are less tolerant for the risk of pitchers than position players, but arguably that’s an appropriate decision because pitchers fail more than position players. 

I would say there are probably 3 pitchers a year they’ve been legit in the mix for of the 15M+ AAV caliber. And no they haven’t gotten any of them. Under normal circumstances they’ve have gotten maybe 1 or 2 of those. One every 4 years maybe. So they’re at 0.

Anyway, you’re still talking about small samples. 

i understand your not weighing in on the second part of my previous post. i didn't want any gossip. i was just curious if there was an air of awareness of that in the building.

On 12/3/2021 at 5:56 PM, ukyah said:

They know they haven’t made the playoffs and that they are upset about it too, as are the fans. I don’t think they believe it’s their fault. (And it isn’t.)

Also, I think the percentage of fans who hold them responsible is very small. The Angels official Twitter account has over 1m followers and I have 35k. Not that that is a scientific study, but that means there are 965k fans who care more about which bobble head is being sold next than which pitcher they are signing next. 

(Yes I’m sure there are real fans who don’t follow me, but I suspect in most cases that’s because they’re not on Twitter at all, so they also wouldn’t be following the team account .)

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

57 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Lol Jeff is probably right that most of the people who turn over money care more about the next promo give away than the mechanics of building the team.  

Yep. The majority of casual Angel fans I talk to have a very surface-level view of the team. Those of us debating the nuances of the organization on a message board are the minority.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, rafibomb said:

Just curious. Would you guys feel any differently if Syndergaard had signed at least a 2 year deal and Lorenzen as well? For me it’s just the idea that two of our main guys we are “counting on” are technically free agents at the end of next season as well. And if it does work out, we can lose them next season still and we are back at square one.

My biggest concern is relying on a guy who has been a relief pitcher become an impact starter

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Not that that is a scientific study, but that means there are 965k fans who care more about which bobble head is being sold next than which pitcher they are signing next. 

I hate to say it, but this is the truth. We're all nerds on here. The vast majority arent nearly as interested.