• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

Just now, Second Base said:

Replacing a bad player with a good player improves the team, but it doesn't add to depth. I think the team needs depth and quality and I think the loves they've made so far solve the depth issues. And as for quality, it's a gamble.

I will say this, Syndergaard and Lorenzen have the POTENTIAL to be great than the players they're replacing. 

Im kind of excited for Syndegaard. No idea how he'll do, but I assume we'll see a handful of dominant starts.

Lorenzen Im not expecting anything out of. Seen too many of these signings. I hope he does well, but he's never been a starter. Has only thrown 100 innings one time. Hope hes another Cobb, but I think its way too risky to expect him to be a plus.

Again, hope Im wrong

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

"Time is on their side". What a joke. Players can't workout at team facilites and some players are still without contracts. If the lockout extends into February then everything else gets pushed back with it.

Great 4 months of Heyman tweeting “Sides said to be engaged in talks.”

16 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

There's no question the Angels are banking on a few things, aside from adding Loup, Syndergaard, Lorenzen, Iglesias. 

Mike Trout and Anthony Rendonn being fully healthy and play a good majority of the games. 

Continued progress and solid returns from Brandon Marsh, Jo Adell, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez and Jamie Barria. 

Fletcher had a down year. Hoping he rebounds. 

Griffin Canning's return.

Time logged and experience from Reid Detmers.

The majority of their improvement needs to come from within. 

Where have we heard that before? 

And frankly, I believe it's a cop out. The belief that the team as constructed is already good enough, you just need to be healthier. I think it's an excuse that holds no water. 

The Angels need to improve. 

They won 77 games last year but their expected win total was 73 games, which suggests they were actually fortunate to win as many games as they did. But even if we can add 8 wins from Trout being healthy, add 5 more from Rendon, your still only looking at an expected win total of 86 games, STILL NOT A PLAYOFF TEAM. 

And yeah, maybe Adell, Marsh, Fletcher and Detmers improve. Maybe they're a 90 win team after that, but that also means no single player on the team can be any worse than they were last year, on top of which, 90 wins still doesn't get you into the playoffs. 

If you want to be a playoff team, expect to need to win 95 games, and even if everything goes right for the Angels they still aren't there, not even with Syndergaard. They need to replace a back end starter with another top end starter like Stroman, and probably one more good reliever.

After that, then I'd say there's a decent chance this is a playoff team. 

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm pretty sure they can't. But if you're going with the "it's OK if no one finds out" policy, then all sorts of things could be OK.

Jeff, I don’t see why teams can’t talk to other teams (trade talks).

That would be like saying the players can’t talk to each other.

Seems like teams wouldn’t be able to engage with players during that time.  Even if it was allowed it wouldn’t be productive anyway not knowing the new rules.  That “teams not talking to players” restriction makes sense.

But I can’t see why teams could not talk to each other about trades—not that they could actually consummate the trade obviously.  But discussions?

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Great 4 months of Heyman tweeting “Sides said to be engaged in talks.”

According to sources, There are possibly things happening between 2 potential parties at an unknown location during an undisclosed time. 

post script…I will provide my picks for the hall of fame since I am abundantly qualified to provide professional opinions about peoples careers 

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im kind of excited for Syndegaard. No idea how he'll do, but I assume we'll see a handful of dominant starts.

Lorenzen Im not expecting anything out of. Seen too many of these signings. I hope he does well, but he's never been a starter. Has only thrown 100 innings one time. Hope hes another Cobb, but I think its way too risky to expect him to be a plus.

Again, hope Im wrong

I'm an optimist by nature, typically. I believe the Angels identified something with Syndergaard and I believe he's fully healthy, so I'm expected him to be a mid or top of the rotation starter. And I think Lorenzen profiles better as a starter than he did as a reliever, but even then, he's still a back end starter. Personally I would've signed him as a reliever, because this bullpen needs him. 

But what I'm not personally optimistic if, is Ohtani replicating his 2021 season. That was one for the record books and it's hard to predict that happening every year. If he gets hurt, this team is in trouble, even if Trout and Rendon are healthy. 

They need another front end starter, they need Ohtani, Rendon, Trout and Sandoval healthy, they need breakouts from Adell and Marsh, and a return to form from Fletcher.

This just isn't a playoff team right now. Not yet. 

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Jeff, I don’t see why teams can’t talk to other teams (trade talks).

That would be like saying the players can’t talk to each other.

Seems like teams wouldn’t be able to engage with players during that time.  Even if it was allowed it wouldn’t be productive anyway not knowing the new rules.  That “teams not talking to players” restriction makes sense.

But I can’t see why teams could not talk to each other about trades—not that they could actually consummate the trade obviously.  But discussions?

I'll doublecheck.