• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

40 minutes ago, mmc said:

I get your point but look at the list of teams you put.  All the teams that you listed that were aggressive early did not make the playoffs last year, whereas all the teams you put in "didn't" did.  Now which category does that put us in?  I also agree with you that they aren't done but there's little reason for us not to be aggressive early to actually improve.

Pretty much, where we have finished over the last 10 years or so... Somewhere, around .500 hoping to catch lightning in a bottle (health of Thor) (continued growth and health by Sandavol and Saurez) (Hoping Lorenzen can stretch out and be effective as a backend rotation arm). Spend enough to keep us interesting and in the News but not enough to be considered a serious Contender. Trout & Ohtani can't do it on their own. Hence the signing of Rendon. We've always had some Slappy Utility Middle infielder Rondons somewhere in the system to play the middle. We have needed the Closer completed now in Iglesias' contract. 

So, what I see as pretty much the NORMAL. Hoping a few of the kids come through! While praying for No significant injuries!

The problem we had last year was even with all the revolving doors we had last year due to the injuries to Rendon, Trout, UPTOWN and the AAA shuttle of arms etc. we stayed somewhat overall averagely competitive. Which is what Arte wants to keep the fans and season seat packages sold - at the minimum! I can see more investment coming when all the building is done on the Corner of Orangewood & St. College. Until then, hope to keep everyone happy and here while not committing too much over the TOP financially contract wise while staying under the Luxury Tax.

3 hours ago, StandOutRealty said:

So basically the Angels can carry Upton for 80% - 90% of the PLAYING year and then trade him with a prospect to another team to show that they carried all the money for him for the season (even though he played for the Angels for most of the time)... lowering their payroll below the luxury tax mark?

Yes if they can find a taker. We got rid of 500k of Pujols' contract some of Heaney's and Quintana's this way. 

They had 46,663,119 in retained salaries in 2021, meaning players who didn't finish the season with the organization and weren't on injured reserve according to Spotrac.

We paid Pujols 29,573,687 of his $30M contract. Quintana $6,537,626 of his $8M figure, Heaney 4,391,150 of his 6,750,000, and there were others too.

The total value of these salaries was around $50M, and we paid $46.6M.

So the opening day payroll of $181 ish, went to 177, and the luxury tax was similarly affected.

8 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Haha, that will drive us all crazy but would be better than dead silence throughout the winter. 

I can imagine us sitting on a "Angels have agreed to a trade with the Reds" for 2 months while we speculate and go absolutely bonkers waiting to find out what we gave up.

1 hour ago, mmc said:

I get your point but look at the list of teams you put.  All the teams that you listed that were aggressive early did not make the playoffs last year, whereas all the teams you put in "didn't" did.  Now which category does that put us in?  I also agree with you that they aren't done but there's little reason for us not to be aggressive early to actually improve.

Dodgers lost Seager, Scherzer, and have Kershaw, Muncy, and Jansen in limbo. They had holes to fill. Sox want a SS and lost Schwarber. Jays lost Semien and Ray. Cardinals have holes. My point is these are smart teams that have needs but they feel they can do so later. We shouldn’t be worried about them being done. 

3 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

Dodgers lost Seager, Scherzer, and have Kershaw, Muncy, and Jansen in limbo. They had holes to fill. Sox want a SS and lost Schwarber. Jays lost Semien and Ray. Cardinals have holes. My point is these are smart teams that have needs but they feel they can do so later. We shouldn’t be worried about them being done. 

Dodgers will probably replace kershaw with krenshaw

9 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

The dodgers have demonstrated a significantly superior ability to replace players with other productive players vs. the Angels.  Also they don’t take half a decade to marginally improve their farm system. 

Edited by UndertheHalo