• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

Just now, totdprods said:

Really hard to address other needs - specifically closer - if you sign Scherzer to 3/$130m. 

I'd rather have Ray and a good closer than Scherzer and fuck all.

I get it, but if Arte is gearing up to go over the threshold, this shouldn't be much of a concern either way.

1 minute ago, bloodbrother said:

I get it, but if Arte is gearing up to go over the threshold, this shouldn't be much of a concern either way.

Well, one, going over the luxury tax threshold has apparently not been the main issue, it was maintaining the year-to-year budget. 

Going over the budget is one thing by a few million or so is one thing, going over the budget well over $25m+ is another. 

Even after another SP and a CL, regardless of what route they take, they need to address other needs (even if cheaply) and have future payrolls and contracts to manage and dole out. It's not going over budget opens up an unwieldly amount.

38 minutes ago, AngelsFanSince86 said:

Honestly though, that's how most of these things play out. When was the last time someone said, "hmm... Thought he would have signed for more" about a top tier pitcher. If you want one you need to overpay. 

I've been a little iffy on Scherzer because of his age, but if you were confident in him and he was your top target then you should absolutely overpay if it gets him to sign. 

I agree, but I can't help but remember Scherzer refusing to pitch in the biggest game of the playoffs at the last minute.  The Angels need a guy who isn't afraid to pitch and knows how to pitch when things aren't perfect.

13 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Didn't realize Raley was a FA, he could've been a good add. Of course the Rays knew this.

We actually had him in the farm a couple seasons back. The Astros found a way to get more from him.

The five years in Korea were a bigger factor than anything Houston did, he was a finished product when they got him.  Raley had the unfortunate reality of being a SP in SLC....  The numbers are always inflated, the breaking balls don't always break.  

I hate that park.