• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Mike Trout persevering through mental side of injury rehab

At first, the Angels expected Mike Trout to return 6 to 8 weeks after he strained his calf running the bases in May. Two months passed, then three. His first minor league rehab game remains an ambitious goal.

The Angels’ training staff looked on as Trout tested his calf in the Progressive Field outfield again Saturday. Speaking to reporters on Zoom afterward, Trout called the injury “one of the hardest things I’ve been through in my career.”

“I’ve been through some injuries but this thing is tough,” he said. “I didn’t realize how much I use my calf.”

Initially termed a Grade 2 strain, the injury was more serious than Trout or the Angels anticipated. Pregame workouts no longer cause Trout any pain, but his soreness persists after each one.

That’s why guessing when any potential rehab assignment might begin is problematic: it’s unclear when Trout’s after-workout soreness will abate, and his timeline for recovery is already into uncharted territory.

“It’s just breaking up that scar tissue,” he said.

Overall, this road trip has been full of progress. Trout hadn’t run any outfield drills for nearly three weeks before resuming them Monday. Merely joining the team for a grueling five-city, 11-day road trip signaled a return to action might be close.

Trout stayed home when the Angels boarded a plane for their previous road trip, a four-game series against the Rangers in early August. Manager Joe Maddon urged Trout to take his mind off baseball however he saw fit. The underlying concern ― that Trout’s mental struggle could eclipse his physical struggle ― was real.

Trout said spending time with his wife and 1-year-old son, Beckham, have helped.

“It’s definitely wearing on me a little bit,” he said. “I’m staying positive. I feel better and better each and every day. Feel great. Mental health is serious stuff. It’s nothing to just look over. Just staying positive. Trying to get my mind off it. Obviously when I’m here doing everything I can to help the team and stay positive.”

PUT ON A SHO

Trout offered a suggestion for teammate Shohei Ohtani when the Angels play Cleveland in the Little League Classic in Williamsport, Pennsylvania on Sunday.

“I’m trying to have him take BP … see how far he can hit ‘em. That would be fun,” Trout said. “The kids would enjoy that.”

Trout said he is looking forward to visiting Williamsport, something he did not get to do when he played for Millville (N.J.) American Little League. He fondly remembers hitting his first Little League home run. He also remembers the time his team finished in second place, a not-so-fond memory.

“I wouldn’t go out there and accept the trophy,” Trout said. “My mom and dad kind of forced me to go out there. I learned a great lesson after that. I’m real competitive. It’s not one of my good memories but it’s a funny one now looking back.”

ALSO

Time is running out on pitcher Alex Cobb, who has missed nearly a month with inflammation in his right wrist. Maddon said Cobb “felt better and then he didn’t feel as good” in his throwing program, adding that the right-hander isn’t expected back on the mound “anytime soon.” But Maddon hesitated to say Cobb’s season was in jeopardy. “It can shift like that to the positive,” he said. “I’m not getting awful reports.” … The Angels will use a five-man rotation for now, taking advantage of Monday’s off-day to give an extra day’s rest to Reid Detmers, Jose Suarez, Dylan Bundy, Shohei Ohtani and Jaime Barría. … Bundy and Ohtani will start Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, in Baltimore. … Left-hander Jose Quintana returned to the bullpen after making a spot start Thursday in Detroit.

UP NEXT

Angels LHP Jose Suarez (5-6, 3.88 ERA) vs. Cleveland RHP Cal Quantrill (3-2, 3.24 ERA) in Williamsport, Penn., 4:10 p.m. Sunday, ESPN, 830 AM

View the full article

Packy Naughton would be next in line?

14 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

The Angels will use a five-man rotation for now, taking advantage of Monday’s off-day to give an extra day’s rest to Reid Detmers, Jose Suarez, Dylan Bundy, Shohei Ohtani and Jaime Barría. … Bundy and Ohtani will start Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively, in Baltimore. … Left-hander Jose Quintana returned to the bullpen after making a spot start Thursday in Detroit.

Packy Naughton is next up?

It's not clear when the Angels medical staff discovered his calf was torn "pretty bad" (in Trout's words) as opposed to merely strained. If it's just now, then they should all be fired.

I hope Mike doesn't get depressed long term over this, and I sincerely hope he'll be able to play baseball again at some point.

This is just unreal, the way this has played out.

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

It's not clear when the Angels medical staff discovered his calf was torn "pretty bad" (in Trout's words) as opposed to merely strained. If it's just now, then they should all be fired.

I hope Mike doesn't get depressed long term over this, and I sincerely hope he'll be able to play baseball again at some point.

This is just unreal, the way this has played out.

It’s a calf muscle and they take time to heal. That’s why shutting him down to focus on that will be what’s best for him and for the 2022 season. This season is over for Halos

I'm just bothered by the seeming disconnect between the team saying it was a strain and Trout telling us it was a bad tear.

Those two things are not at all the same. Have the doctors been on top of this all through the past 3.5 months? Is he getting the best possible treatments? Is surgery an option? We don't hear a word except from Mike the other day. It's a big mystery when, or if, he'll play again.

Okay, totally anecdotal, but my brother tore his calf pretty bad a couple years ago playing basketball and he tells me he's still in pain. I'm just worried we may already have seen the best days of the best player of our generation.

I know...chill out. It's my generalized anxiety disorder speaking.

Breaking up the scar tissue that formed is going to be painful; hopefully once Trout is beyond that part he'll be able to rehab with confidence. Its time to shut him down. 

I do wonder if some of the things Maddon said in the media about it being "up to Trout mentally" to take that next step, and the being cleared by docs, etc... sit unwell with Mike. Seems like a silly thing for Maddon to put out there without the team disclosing it was a full blown calf tear. Maybe thats why Trout decided to disclose the tear.

Either way, enough speculation, just get right physically and mentally Mike. Miss seeing him out there. 

Just to clear Trout's injury up, there are 3 degrees of strains.  1st degree is a few fibers which usually heal fairly quickly. 2nd degree is a section of the muscle is torn and depending on how many of the fibers are torn is how long it takes to recover.  3rd degree strain is a complete rupture of the muscle which requires surgery to repair especially if you are a superstar athlete.  So 2nd degree strains are the ones that are the most difficult to put a time table for the healing because it depends on the amount of muscle fibers torn and then allowing the scar tissue fill in without causing more problems.  I am surprised that it has taken this long but sometimes it does take a long time.  I am sure the Angel's medical staff is very good at their jobs and are doing all they can to get him healthy.  Hopefully that clarifies some of the confusion on his injury.

I guess it’s up to the player how much medical information is revealed publicly, HIPPA and all that, so it’s hard to judge if the Angels should have revealed what they knew.  I’m sure Maddon has been frustrated and it makes me wonder how much information he had.  I’m glad Trout addressed the media, I know Jeff Fletcher from the OC Register (who is pretty cool for a troll Giants fan) mentioned he suggested it some time ago.

At this point I'd be very happy if he takes the next several months off to fully recover and be ready for an entire 2022 season of his usual outstanding production. The worse thing that could happen is he returns on September 15th and tears his Achilles or something. This season is done with, finito! In fact, it would be advantageous for us to tank and get a nice draft pick.