• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Jack Morris apologizes for racially insensitive comment about Shohei Ohtani

On 8/19/2021 at 6:29 AM, Dtwncbad said:

Olbermann was actually smart and entertaining until he became so permanently infatuated with his own intelligence.  He became mentally hard wired to believe that he was so much smarter than everyone else in the world that there was longer any reason for humility and certainly others opinions CANNOT have any value because nobody is his intellectual equal.

He became an intolerable blowhard.  I’m sure he talks to himself every waking moment in fake conversations where he plays the role of the smart guy verbally defeating a dumb person.

I can’t see him even being capable of being happy or having real honest relationships now.

He is a pretty good example of how a very, very smart person can be wired in a way where their highly capable brain becomes their nemesis.  It cost him everything.

His vanity drove him to being completely irrelevant and forgotten.  I literally forgot about Olbermann until I saw his name here.

Imagine how his brain, if it ever had a moment of honest perspective, would process the fact that he made himself as irrelevant as the dumbest person in the world.

Devastating, likely irreversible defeat, with nobody to blame but himself.

Sad, but probably just.

I remember when he was channel 5 sportscaster. He was one of my favorite sportscasters as he injected humor and he was good on ESPN, then went off the deep end and became a blowhard.

6 hours ago, Lou said:

Haven't read through this thread, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's a bunch of posts by white guys saying what Morris said wasn't racist and he shouldn't have been suspended.

Since you have been gone, let me catch you up.....

There have been many thoughtful and reflective insights alluding to the complex and dynamic nature associated with living in a diverse community.  All responses were respectful with many offering affirmations of emotional support, especially from the Caucasians.

1 hour ago, bruin5 said:

So, what happens when someone uses the word “Doyers” here?  Sensitivity training?  

I am amused by the idea of “Sensitivity Training” when the people bothered by everything should be the ones getting themselves trained to be less sensitive.

17 hours ago, moccasin said:

As a Japanese guy, I wasn't really offended by it, and most of the Japanese fans aren't either.
But if he thinks mocking Asian accents is funny, he shouldn't be on that platform.
It's one thing for random posters saying dumb stuff, and another for people representing a franchise to say it.

I'm OK with him getting another chance, but he needs to grow up and learn not be so childish and immature.

If you're gonna mock us, at least make us laugh. Pronouncing an R with an L and thinking it's funny, is just showing low intellect.

As a fellow Japanese-American, gotta say, you sound pretty offended.  Either it was meant to be derogatory or it wasn't.  If there were no humor pointed at differences in cultures we'd never had a Pryor, Chapplelle, and Cho (gross) among many others.  Finding the humor in human differences, cultural or otherwise, is the cornerstone of comedy and jokes related to those differences are intrinsic to every human culture.  It comes down to, if you are looking to be offended, you will find a way to be.  For every person pointing a finger at Morris, there are likely a plethora of examples of that person doing the same thing, but perhaps within the confines of their own cultural group or the same thing but on a different, more politically correct subject matter.

20 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

As a fellow Japanese-American, gotta say, you sound pretty offended.  Either it was meant to be derogatory or it wasn't.  If there were no humor pointed at differences in cultures we'd never had a Pryor, Chapplelle, and Cho (gross) among many others.  Finding the humor in human differences, cultural or otherwise, is the cornerstone of comedy and jokes related to those differences are intrinsic to every human culture.  It comes down to, if you are looking to be offended, you will find a way to be.  For every person pointing a finger at Morris, there are likely a plethora of examples of that person doing the same thing, but perhaps within the confines of their own cultural group or the same thing but on a different, more politically correct subject matter.

You can't tell people whether they should be offended or not about something that may be directed at their culture. 

If he was slightly offended by it, he's not "looking for ways" to be offended. 

Just as you not being offended doesn't make you insensitive or uncaring.

I stated that what was said was stupid, but not in any way racist. But I'm white.

This forum is basically a bunch of middle-class white dudes telling people of other cultures they shouldn't be offended. Obviously not referring to you but that's the demographic.

17 hours ago, Junkballer said:

Ok but here is the difference. Morris wasn't auditioning on an open mic at the Laugh Factory. That is the venue where work product has a wide bearth when it comes to taking on ethnic humor. The top of the 6th inning with runners on base? Nope. 

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Ok but here is the difference. Morris wasn't auditioning on an open mic at the Laugh Factory. That is the venue where work product has a wide bearth when it comes to taking on ethnic humor. The top of the 6th inning with runners on base? Nope. 

Agreed.  I was referring to being offended at a personal level.  What the Tigers or Tigers broadcasting group does in response is their own business and none of mine.  

15 hours ago, Blarg said:

Yeah but every time some dumb-ass jock thinks he's being cute and makes a bad joke, should he lose his job?

As I posted before, in a reasonable society Morris and Ohtani would have a talk about it to clear the air. We don't live in a reasonable society with social media fanning flames and corporations unable to stand against that pressure. 

In 2020, when Masahiro Tanaka (Yankees, at that time) was staying in Florida after a spring camp break, a dangerous incident to him and his family occurred. Therefore, they were temporarily returning to Japan.

---------

Ohtani-san was jeered on the purple carpet to All-Star Game.
This case was not covered in the Japanese press due to its hindrance.

"Get out sho time!" 
"Chino!"  (shouts lasted many times)
As I'm not an English native speaker, I can't hear these accurately.

"Chino" is a subtle expression for some Japanese people.