• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Jack Morris apologizes for racially insensitive comment about Shohei Ohtani

Hall of Fame pitcher Jack Morris apologized on the air Tuesday for a racially insensitive comment he made during the sixth inning of the Angels-Tigers broadcast on Bally Sports Detroit.

With a runner on second base, Tigers pitcher Joe Jimenez struck out Juan Lagares, bringing Ohtani to the plate with two outs in the sixth inning of a tie game. Asked how he would pitch to Ohtani, Morris said ― in an accent historically used to mock Asians ― “be very, very careful.”

Ohtani drew a four-pitch walk. When Ohtani batted again in the ninth inning, Morris apologized.

“I sincerely apologize if I offended anybody, especially anybody in the Asian community, for what I said about pitching and being careful to Shohei Ohtani,” Morris said. “I did not intend for any offensive thing and I apologize if I did. I certainly respect and have the utmost respect for this guy, and don’t blame a pitcher for walking him.”

Morris, 66, is in his fourth year as an analyst for Bally Sports Detroit. He was inducted to the Hall of Fame by a Veterans’ Committee vote in 2018.

TROUT RAMPS UP

Mike Trout resumed baseball activities Tuesday for the first time since July, when he joined the Angels on a road trip to Minnesota. The center fielder participated in light drills in the outfield prior to the Angels’ game against the Tigers, a small but significant step forward in his recovery from a debilitating calf injury.

Angels manager Joe Maddon remains hopeful that Trout will return to the Angels this season.

“I’m glad he’s out there,” Maddon said. “When he does go through these movements, you have to wait until the next day to find out how he feels, then you plan your next step.”

Injured outfielder Dexter Fowler also traveled with the team on its five-city, 10-game road trip. He is expected to miss the remainder of the regular season with a knee injury.

BUNDY BOUNCES BACK

Dylan Bundy has been quietly productive since returning to the Angels’ starting rotation. The right-hander was demoted to the bullpen after pitching to a 6.78 earned-run average in his first 14 starts.

In four starts since returning to the starting rotation, Bundy has a 3.93 ERA. Tuesday’s start against the Tigers, in which he allowed three hits and two runs in 4 ⅔ innings, was “the best I’ve felt in the last six weeks.”

“It was the best my stuff has been coming out in the last six weeks,” he said. “I felt good about it.”

Bundy, 28, has become the veteran leader of a rotation that lost its only 30-something pitchers in recent weeks ― 30-year-old Andrew Heaney in a trade to the Yankees and 33-year-old Alex Cobb to a wrist injury.

“It doesn’t matter how you perform on the field,” Bundy said. “You can still help guys off the field with preparation for a 7 o’clock game, showing them the routines that you do to perform at the highest level up here.”

UP NEXT

Angels RHP Shohei Ohtani (7-1, 2.93 ERA) at Detroit LHP Tarik Skubal (8-10, 4.10 ERA), 4:10 p.m. Wednesday, Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

Oof.

For the record, I'm not embarrassed for my race or gender. If you are... oof. 

I also don't happen to think Jack Morris should lose his job because of what he said.

This place would have eight posters if we were held to such standards. 

It's different. He is broadcasting. Shouldn't happen.  But is it racist?  That's a stretch.

He fucked up. We all fuck up. Get over it.

Edited by ScottT

52 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I thought of Elmer Fudd when he was talking. Sounded just like it....

but

take it as you will..... We all joke around using different "voices".

If he was saying it in an asian accent then damn that was a terrible impersonation 🤣

If it was supposed to be Elmer Fudd, it was *still* a terrible impersonation.

Saying "veddy" instead of "vewwy" makes it a questionable thing to say - or more accurately, a questionable way to say it.  

But to be honest, people calling for his job seem like a bigger problem to me than what he said.