• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

4 of 5 California teams currently hold a playoff spot

mmc

With the exception, of course, being the Angels, who are currently 9.5 games out.  Obviously this will be the first time 4/5 California teams make the playoffs, just embarrassing that the team who has 2 better players than any of the others is the one who not only isn't making it, but isn't even competing.  Thanks for listening to my low effort, half-assed (hey that sounds like the Angels!) rant.

It's not surprising when you look at each franchise's methodology:

The Padres and the Giants are happy to go through boom and bust rebuild periods - a proven Major league method of winning during periodic windows of contention.

The Dodgers outspend everyone else by $100m or so because they can - a proven method of winning across most sports.

The A's - well, who knows what the hell the A's do. The only thing I can think of is that it is such an awful place to play baseball that all their players are playing their hearts out to get away from the franchise as soon as they possibly can. They rebuild every year and still contend - they have proven their method works for them.

The Angels - the ultimate tease. We say we want to contend every season but we never follow through. We don't rebuild and we don't contend, we just buy shiny new things that flatter to deceive while chanting a mantra about not giving up on the fans as yet another season slowly burns to the ground. But hey, at least we've got Ohtani and Trout, right?

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

The A's - well, who knows what the hell the A's do. The only thing I can think of is that it is such an awful place to play baseball that all their players are playing their hearts out to get away from the franchise as soon as they possibly can. They rebuild every year and still contend - they have proven their method works for them.

The A's do the same boom-and-bust thing that you ascribed to the Giants and Padres but, for reasons I will never understand, they get a free pass and everyone forgets that they tanked for three straight seasons.

From 2015-2017, the A's finished in last place each year. They did not try to compete. They traded away every asset they had for prospects. From 2018-now, they have enjoyed the benefits of their tanking/rebuild. 

Of the 5 teams, I don't think anyone had the Giants as the one that would be leading them all.  That they are just taking it to the Dogs and Friars is amazing.  

As for the Giants being boom or bust.  They were our opponent in 2002, and since then have won 3 World Series Championships.  I'd take their boom or bust.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

The title could also be 4/5 California Teams are ran by people who know what they are doing.

Minasian has provided little to the team's success this year.  In fact, most of the success is directly connected to Eppler.

Yeah I’m very skeptical of Minsasian. Eppler made some mistakes, but he knew what he was doing.

Wary, skeptical yes but he deserves the same time as Eppler before we judge.  At least he didn’t tear down the farm to try to succeed this year rather has taken advantage of what he found (circumstances may have dictated) and he has hired some smart people.  Let’s wait another year.  How many scouts did Eppler have?

49 minutes ago, Revad said:

Wary, skeptical yes but he deserves the same time as Eppler before we judge.  At least he didn’t tear down the farm to try to succeed this year rather has taken advantage of what he found (circumstances may have dictated) and he has hired some smart people.  Let’s wait another year.  How many scouts did Eppler have?

No, he doesn’t. Trout and Ohtani aren’t getting any younger. We can’t wait around until some GM figures things out. This isn’t a slight against Minassian, I just don’t like the narrative of giving GMs time to figure things out.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Agreed. It's way too early to render final judgment on Minasian's job performance. Building a contender takes more than one off season. 

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Of the 5 teams, I don't think anyone had the Giants as the one that would be leading them all.  That they are just taking it to the Dogs and Friars is amazing.  

As for the Giants being boom or bust.  They were our opponent in 2002, and since then have won 3 World Series Championships.  I'd take their boom or bust.

As for the 2021 Giants (not the previous versions) if you look at what they’ve done, they have really shopped in the same aisle as the Angels. (Wood and Desclafani were right there with Quintana and Cobb last winter.) They’ve also got a lot of old guys who were declining who had comeback years. And they’ve stumbled into some fringy guys who have had breakthroughs. 

So they haven’t won by what we consider to be the normal ways: having a lot of good young players or acquiring a lot of premium players. They did neither (just like the Angels). And it’s worked for them this year. 

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

As for the 2021 Giants (not the previous versions) if you look at what they’ve done, they have really shopped in the same aisle as the Angels. (Wood and Desclafani were right there with Quintana and Cobb last winter.) They’ve also got a lot of old guys who were declining who had comeback years. And they’ve stumbled into some fringy guys who have had breakthroughs. 

So they haven’t won by what we consider to be the normal ways: having a lot of good young players or acquiring a lot of premium players. They did neither (just like the Angels). And it’s worked for them this year. 

We know you’re a Giants fan 😂

just admit it already