• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

CJ Wilson is not a bad pitcher

Scott34

Wilson gets a terrible rap on here, but he honestly can be, and has been an ace.

Take a look at his splits since becoming a starter:

1st half: 3.35 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, .625 OPSA

2nd half: 3.36 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, .618 OPSA

1st half: 3.20 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, .675 OPSA

2nd half: 2.56 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, .618 OPSA

1st half: 2.43 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, .572 OPSA

2nd half: 5.54 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, .807 OPSA

I think this trend clearly shows a couple things.  One, the bone spurs contributed hugely to the downfall of CJ last year.  There is no natural reason that his performance would all of a sudden turn to crap so drastically.  Two, he may be the most important Angel this season.  We know Weave will do his thing, but if Wilson does his 2010-July 2012 thing, our rotation becomes formidable. Just my 2 cents.

You're absolutely right Scott, C.J. Wilson has put up ace numbers in 2010, 2011 and half of 2012.  It's no coincidence that when his performance falls off a cliff he needs surgery.  He's healthy again and should be at the very least, a good #2 for the Angels.  

People seem to forget, up until the elbow gave him issues last season, Wilson was at the forefront of the conversation for Cy Young.  Given the numbers that he put up in Texas, it isn't out of this world to believe that Wilson can post the best ERA on the Angels staff this coming season.  I think there's a high likelihood his ERA will end up right around 3 in 2013.  In fact, I think there's even a reasonable chance his ERA ends up down around 2.50. 

3.35 and 2.94 ERA pitching half of the time in Texas, is excellent.  We should definitely see him get closer to his first half numbers of 2012 than his second half numbers, if healthy.  He is on the wrong side of 30, but doesn't have many innings thanks to his years as a reliever. 

Wilson gets a terrible rap on here, but he honestly can be, and has been an ace.

Take a look at his splits since becoming a starter:

1st half: 3.35 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, .625 OPSA

2nd half: 3.36 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, .618 OPSA

1st half: 3.20 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, .675 OPSA

2nd half: 2.56 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, .618 OPSA

1st half: 2.43 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, .572 OPSA

2nd half: 5.54 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, .807 OPSA

I think this trend clearly shows a couple things.  One, the bone spurs contributed hugely to the downfall of CJ last year.  There is no natural reason that his performance would all of a sudden turn to crap so drastically.  Two, he may be the most important Angel this season.  We know Weave will do his thing, but if Wilson does his 2010-July 2012 thing, our rotation becomes formidable. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not worried. I think the bone spurs had a lot to do with his crap pitching late last year.

However, I do worry about him if and when we make the postseason. His track record in October? Not so good...

1. Wilson has never been, or will be, an ace. There are less than 15 true aces in the game: Kershaw, Cain, weaver, King Felix, Verlander, Price, Dickey, Hamels, Cliff Lee. Perhaps Greinke and Sabathia.

2. He was certainly NOT paid ace money. He landed half of What Hamels, King Felix and Greinke landed.

3. He is an underrated top of the rotation pitcher. There is no shame in that.

1. Wilson has never been, or will be, an ace. There are less than 15 true aces in the game: Kershaw, Cain, weaver, King Felix, Verlander, Price, Dickey, Hamels, Cliff Lee. Perhaps Greinke and Sabathia.

2. He was certainly NOT paid ace money. He landed half of What Hamels, King Felix and Greinke landed.

3. He is an underrated top of the rotation pitcher. There is no shame in that.

Theres' a few more aces. For one, the nominal ace of the Phillies is actually Roy Halladay. Strasburg of the Nationals should be up there and, (unfortunatly) so should Yu Darvish of the Rangers :(

No Thank You

Care to elaborate? 

K's are overrated in Anaheim thanks to the Marine Layer + Bourjos + Trout situation. 

according to that logic Joe Blanton > CJ Wilson

If folks were willing to call Dan Haren an "ace" then why not Wilson?  In terms of stuff, Wilson is better.  In terms of numbers, for 2.5 of the last 3 seasons he's put up an ERA south of 3.  I mean sure, technically Wilson's not an ace, but he's putting up ace numbers.  So when does he then become an ace?  And if he's not an ace, why would we call R.A. Dickey an ace?

I mean remove the fact that Dickey won his Cy Young last season, have his numbers the past three years blown Wilson's out of the water?  Not in the least. 

If folks were willing to call Dan Haren an "ace" then why not Wilson? In terms of stuff, Wilson is better. In terms of numbers, for 2.5 of the last 3 seasons he's put up an ERA south of 3. I mean sure, technically Wilson's not an ace, but he's putting up ace numbers. So when does he then become an ace? And if he's not an ace, why would we call R.A. Dickey an ace?

I mean remove the fact that Dickey won his Cy Young last season, have his numbers the past three years blown Wilson's out of the water? Not in the least.

Not 2.5 in the last 3. In 2010 his ERA was closer to 3.5. And if you're going to do the half thing it should be worth noting his ERA was above 3 in the first half of 2011 as well. So it's 1 out of the last 3 seasons.

Good pitcher, though. Glad he's on our team and I'm happy with the contract, at least right now. But your numbers are wrong.