• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon

tdawg87

8 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

Maddon does a really good job at helping his players succeed. Like I already stated, he put Rizzo and Upton in the leadoff spot and both guys started thriving again once he put them there. Not to mention the shifts that he helped changed baseball when he was with the Rays. Those Rays pitchers benefited way more from the shifts than not. Managers started following his lead and now, shifts are common in the game. He might not be the best at managing a bullpen but with this bullpen, there's not really any good options for him to go to. Put any managers in his place and they would still look bad with this bullpen. 

But isn’t there something to be said for the way he’s used them? These guys aren’t losers, most of them have had a lot of success in the past. But he’s brought them into a ton of dirty situations. I’ve also seen too much of him pulling starters very early, overusing guys (Cishek and Iglesias), then spending his pressers blaming the 3 batter rule. 

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

But isn’t there something to be said for the way he’s used them? These guys aren’t losers, most of them have had a lot of success in the past. But he’s brought them into a ton of dirty situations. I’ve also seen too much of him pulling starters very early, overusing guys (Cishek and Iglesias), then spending his pressers blaming the 3 batter rule. 

Cishek is garbage.  Overuse of Cishek is Minasian's fault by not finding an average major league relief pitcher.

7 hours ago, nando714 said:

Maddon has done a tremendous job considering all the injuries and lack of pitching from the front office 

One hot week and he has the angels in the playoff hunt. It’s really incredible what he’s done 

i know people will scoff at this, and it doesn't reflect my personal feelings either, but i can all but guarantee you that is exactly how minasian and moreno feel.

41 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Maybe Moreno but I doubt Minasian feels the same. 

how could he feel differently? it's easier for me to see it the other way around, moreno rather than minasian. 

perry has provided him the roster to work with. i feel like perry is pretty thankful to be at .500 considering they've got little to nothing from the centerpieces of the roster, excluding ohtani.

edit: also, maddon is moreno's boy. he friggin loves that dude. like...a lot. i imagine moreno is quite thankful of maddon for keeping his ship afloat.

9 minutes ago, ukyah said:

how could he feel differently? it's easier for me to see it the other way around, moreno rather than minasian. 

perry has provided him the roster to work with. i feel like perry is pretty thankful to be at .500 considering they've got little to nothing from the centerpieces of the roster, excluding ohtani.

edit: also, maddon is moreno's boy. he friggin loves that dude. like...a lot. i imagine moreno is quite thankful of maddon for keeping his ship afloat.

Yes, maybe I typed it wrong but I believe it’s more likely Moreno is happy with Maddon than Minasian.  It’s entirely possible Maddon and Minasian don’t exactly see eye to eye with player usage.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes, maybe I typed it wrong but I believe it’s more likely Moreno is happy with Maddon than Minasian.  It’s entirely possible Maddon and Minasian don’t exactly see eye to eye with player usage.  

i think that's going to be true in every organization where the manager is not directly a pawn of the FO bidding. i still standby the original statement that minasian and moreno are very happy with maddon in light of the circumstance that they view it in. i promise you that however they may see it, it's not going to be even close to how the fans see it.

2 hours ago, ukyah said:

i think that's going to be true in every organization where the manager is not directly a pawn of the FO bidding. i still standby the original statement that minasian and moreno are very happy with maddon in light of the circumstance that they view it in. i promise you that however they may see it, it's not going to be even close to how the fans see it.

Completely agree with that. 

22 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

I fall under the category of "young enough to only know Scioscia" and I've come to appreciate him much more after he left. 

I liked Sosh. Still do. Was probably time for a change when he left.

But one thing I, and others on here, stressed while he was here was that he was only as good as the roster he was given.

For all maddens faults, hed look a lot smarter with a better pen, and an uninjured trout/rendon.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I liked Sosh. Still do. Was probably time for a change when he left.

But one thing I, and others on here, stressed while he was here was that he was only as good as the roster he was given.

For all maddens faults, hed look a lot smarter with a better pen, and an uninjured trout/rendon.

Comparing against our current performance (with the added benefit of guys like Walsh, Fletcher, Ohtani, Rendon, etc) I'd actually say he outperformed toward the end of his tenure. Like in 2017 when we won 80 games with Nolasco/JC Ramirez/Chavez/Bridwell being top 4 in innings pitched and Pujols/Simmons/Calhoun/Maldonado being top 4 in AB's. Actually pretty impressive looking back on our stats.