• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Los Angeles Angels Potential Bullpen Targets

Chuck

https___rumbunter.com_wp-content_uploads_getty-images_2018_08_1310366428-850x560.jpeg

(Pirates Closer Ricardo Rodriguez)

While the starting pitching has improved of late (4.11 ERA over the past 30 days) and with the prospects of moving Jose Suarez (1.88 ERA, 20 K, 20 IP) into the rotation if needed, in addition to having both Jaime Barria (AAA- 2.88 ERA) & Reid Detmers (AA - 3.34, 60 K's in 34 IP) doing well in the minors, the biggest need by far is relief pitching. 

If you look at the top teams in baseball (Giants, Cubs, Indians, White Sox, Padres, Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees, Rays, their bullpen ranks near the top in ERA, WHIP and Save Chances. History has also shown us that teams with a solid bullpen not only make postseason play, but go deep into the playoffs and World Series. The Angels best bullpen in the history of their franchise was in 2002 and we all know how that ended.

Unfortunately the Angels bullpen this season ranks toward the bottom in most categories, including 6th worst in the league in ERA (4.83) and 5th worst in WHIP (1.44) so improvements are needed if the Angels want to have any chance at contending this season. 

Here are some teams that are either out of contention already or will be that could be selling their BP arms at or before the deadline.

Pirates: Richard Rodriguez (1.91 ERA, 8 Saves, 0.74 WHIP), Kyle Crick (2.95 ERA, 0.98 WHIP, 18 IP, 16 K's).

Colorado: Daniel Bard (4.20 ERA, 9 Saves, 1.57 WHIP), Mychal Givens (2.78 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 22 2/3 IP, 25 K's) 

Baltimore: Tanner Scott (2.96 ERA, 27 IP, 40 K's, 1.46 WHIP), LHP Paul Fry (3.12 ERA, 2 Saves, 26 IP, 37 K's, 1.19 WHIP), Cole Sulser (2.49 ERA, 25 IP, 39 K's, 1.14 WHIP), Hunter Harvey (2.35 ERA, 0.91 WHIP)

Detroit: Michael Fulmer (3.55 ERA, 6 Saves, 1.26 WHIP, 38 IP, 40 K's), Jose Cisnero (3.19 ERA, 31 IP, 39 K's, 1.19 WHIP), LHP Gregory Soto (2.51 ERA, 6 Saves, 28 2/3 IP, 33 K's), Kyle Funkhouser (3.80 ERA, 21 IP, 17 K's)

Miami: Yimi Garcia (2.67 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, 11 Saves, 27 IP, 25 K's), Anthony Bender (0.00 ERA, 19 IP, 23 K's, 0.67 WHIP).

Texas: Ian Kennedy (2.59 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 12 Saves, 24 IP, 27 K's).

Arizona: Humberto Castellanos (3.24 ERA, 8 IP, 8 K's, 1.08 WHIP).

The Angels are getting a stud back on offense before the trade deadline in Mike Trout and David Fletcher and Justin Upton have been hitting really well of late. Taylor Ward has done a great job in RF and in the lineup, Stassi who has been a stud both offensively & behind the dish. If Rendon can stay on the field and get consistent at bats we know the type of player he is, so things are looking up for the Angels -- but if they wish to compete in a against the likes of Oakland and the Astros in the AL West or have a chance at the Wild Card, they're going to need to bolster their bullpen before the deadline. 

I really like the Pirates because I think we match well, and their arms tend to do better after leaving Pittsburgh. 

I've read a lot of selling teams are seeking MLB-ready talent this year, which makes pairing with the Angels a little more challenging (though I'd argue Barria, Rengifo, and Thaiss have some value and could be expendable), but the Pirates are one of the few exceptions. 

This recent chat with GM Cherington noted that they acquired young, high-upside players this winter (20-year old OF Hudson Head for Musgrove and 19-year old SS Maikel Escotto for Taillon) and the Angels have plenty of guys that could fit that timeline...Blakely, Paris, Soto, Knowles, Deveaux, Rivera, Calabrese, Vera, Ramirez, Holmes, Bonilla...not to mention someone like Barria or Thaiss could step right into an everyday role there.

I'd say guys like David Bednar, Chad Kuhl, JT Brubaker, Duane Underwood, and Tyler Anderson all make sense too. 

Combo deals that make sense.

• Anderson/Kuhl/Brubaker and a Pirates reliever
  • Kyle Gibson and Ian Kennedy from Texas
  • Jon Gray and Bard/Gyvens (who knows, maybe Story and Marquez instead)
  • Michael Fulmer and Matthew Boyd, if he comes back healthy.
  • Danny Duffy and perhaps a long-term bullpen piece from KC

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really hope the Angels don't make any trades for players who aren't controllable past this season--so for me, that would eliminate people like Ian Kennedy, Mychal Givens, etc.  The Angels are likely going to have to completely overhaul the bullpen heading into 2022, so if they can make a trade this season to kickstart that process, I'm all for it.  But acquiring a non-controllable, marginal upgrade to the current 'pen, even if it just means giving up a marginal prospect, doesn't seem worth it to me.

Edited by jsnpritchett

5 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really hope the Angels don't make any trades for players who aren't controllable past this season--so for me, that would eliminate people like Ian Kennedy, Mychal Givens, etc.  The Angels are likely going to have to completely overhaul the bullpen heading into 2022, so if they can make a trade this season to kickstart that process, I'm all for it.  But acquiring a non-controllabe, marginal upgrade to the current 'pen, even if it just means giving up a marginal prospect, doesn't seem worth it to me.

I agree, unless the prospects/players you're giving up are nowhere near your top 10-15 prospects. If you're close, you gotta make a move to bolster the pen. I'd prefer your route, but it's not always that easy. 

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really hope the Angels don't make any trades for players who aren't controllable past this season--so for me, that would eliminate people like Ian Kennedy, Mychal Givens, etc.  The Angels are likely going to have to completely overhaul the bullpen heading into 2022, so if they can make a trade this season to kickstart that process, I'm all for it.  But acquiring a non-controllabe, marginal upgrade to the current 'pen, even if it just means giving up a marginal prospect, doesn't seem worth it to me.

The other side to that though is this...here's a list of guys that will be Rule 5 eligible this winter (as far as I can tell) and it's extensive. 
Obviously, we don't need to add most of these guys, but there are a lot of the exact type of prospect you described - someone marginal. 
If the Angels don't think they intend on adding one of these - and if they think there's a chance they lose them in the R5 anyways - might not hurt parting now.

Position Players:

• AAA: Michael Stefanic, Brennon Lund, Jake Gatewood
  • AA: Orlando Martinez, Izzy Wilson, Torii Hunter Jr.
  • A: Livan Soto, Brendon Davis, Keinner Pina, Kevin Maitan, D'Shawn Knowles, Trent Deveaux

Pitchers:

• AAA: Packy Naughton, Andrew Wantz, Austin Warren
  • AA: Aaron Hernandez, Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Jhonathan Diaz, Denny Brady, Oliver Ortega, Connor Higgins
  • A: Robinson Pina, Luis Alvarado, Sadrac Franco, Jose Salvador, John Swanda, Stiward Aquino

Also, Jaime Barria will be out of options next year, and seemingly has no place here. If he was moved for a rental it might not have that same sting.

Edited by totdprods

33 minutes ago, totdprods said:

The other side to that though is this...here's a list of guys that will be Rule 5 eligible this winter (as far as I can tell) and it's extensive. 
Obviously, we don't need to add most of these guys, but there are a lot of the exact type of prospect you described - someone marginal. 
If the Angels don't think they intend on adding one of these - and if they think there's a chance they lose them in the R5 anyways - might not hurt parting now.

Position Players:

• AAA: Michael Stefanic, Brennon Lund, Jake Gatewood
  • AA: Orlando Martinez, Izzy Wilson, Torii Hunter Jr.
  • A: Livan Soto, Brendon Davis, Keinner Pina, Kevin Maitan, D'Shawn Knowles, Trent Deveaux

Pitchers:

• AAA: Packy Naughton, Andrew Wantz, Austin Warren
  • AA: Aaron Hernandez, Cooper Criswell, Kyle Tyler, Jhonathan Diaz, Denny Brady, Oliver Ortega, Connor Higgins
  • A: Robinson Pina, Luis Alvarado, Sadrac Franco, Jose Salvador, John Swanda, Stiward Aquino

Also, Jaime Barria will be out of options next year, and seemingly has no place here. If he was moved for a rental it might not have that same sting.

Sure, that's a valid way to look at it.  I have no issue with them trading someone like a Lund or Maitan if they aren't going to put them on the 40-man.

17 minutes ago, mmc said:

Might be time for another trade with Baltimore, would love to land a package of say Cesar Valdez, Paul Fry, and Pedro Severino

Why would you want Valdez?  And Severino seems like someone they'd want to keep around just in case Rutschman isn't ready when he gets the call.  He's decent, not terribly expensive, and still controllable. 

44 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Why would you want Valdez?  And Severino seems like someone they'd want to keep around just in case Rutschman isn't ready when he gets the call.  He's decent, not terribly expensive, and still controllable. 

Honestly didn't realize Valdez had started pitching so poorly lately.  I certainly don't want any type of high cost bullpen additions though, not as rentals.  I'm fine with mixing in different guys just to piece together a temporary solution ala the Strickland trade, unless we are getting someone who is coming off multiple years of pitching at a very high level

17 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'd like to see Minasian pull off a Dan Haren type of deal, where he acquires a good mid rotation starter with 1.5-3 years of control that doesn't cost Detmers.

Something like Jaime Barria, Jordyn Adams, Jeremiah Jackson and a reliever type like Aaron Hernandez. 

Now who that package works for...

Marco Gonzales? John Means? Sonny Gray? Sandy Alcantara?

Im not giving an official take here until @ettin does a novel sized breakdown of moves that seem to make absolute sense for both sides, involving people i never heard of, that get us all excited, and I tell the Dodger fans at work the idea (like its my own), and the deal never comes close to happening, and the only move we make is picking up like a second string cornerback, for an angel i never really cared about, but then am sad we traded him.

I’m pretty surprised as to how many people seem to think this team still has a shot.  We are 6.5 games back with numerous teams in front of us that we aren’t better than and cannot consistently beat our divisional opponents if our lives depended on it. This season is over and we should be immediately planning for 2022 to finally be the year we make the postseason

44 minutes ago, mmc said:

I’m pretty surprised as to how many people seem to think this team still has a shot.  We are 6.5 games back with numerous teams in front of us that we aren’t better than and cannot consistently beat our divisional opponents if our lives depended on it. This season is over and we should be immediately planning for 2022 to finally be the year we make the postseason

It's never to early to start building for next season. I agree with what jsnpritchett said above: 

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I really hope the Angels don't make any trades for players who aren't controllable past this season.  The Angels are likely going to have to completely overhaul the bullpen heading into 2022, so if they can make a trade this season to kickstart that process, I'm all for it.  

37 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

don't buy.  sell.  

we're .500 with a negative run diff and 8 games out of first.  6.5 games back of the second WC.  

sorry for the cold shower but let's be realistic.  

I think they should make like Trader Jerry and move.  There's some prospects that need PT in the second half like Thaiss, Rengifo and Barria, and prospects that need PT beginning next season, like Adell, Marsh, Detmers and now Chris Rodriguez.  

Some of those guys should have spots cleared for them on the Angels by selling off current pieces.  If it were me, I'd be aggressive and sell off Ward. Normally,  I'd day you can sell off Iglesias, but to be honest, he's just so likable i think it would tank team chemistry if you did.  Rengifo can play the OF (and take over SS next year if he performs) and it also opens a spot up for Marsh or Adell next year. 

I'd also sell off Suzuki. Keep in mind, the Angels landed Sandoval for a back catcher, so they do have some limited value.  

I'd also ship out Heaney and Quintana. I think Heaney has some trade value, and I'm curious to see if Bundy rights the ship before FA, and I think Cobb makes a big difference to the rotation in his leadership.  

And then sell off surplus prospects to try and buy one controllable starter and reliever that you can pencil in next year.  Barria, Adams, Jackson and Hernandez can hopefully get a starter and in hoping Heaney and Ward can get relievers to revamp the bullpen.  

If done correctly, next year the Angels could enter the season with Thaiss as their backup at catcher, Rengifo at SS, Adell or Marsh in RF, a new starter they bought at the trade deadline, an additional starter they brought in through free agency, and a remade bullpen through the trade deadline deals.  

And that's not even mentioning what Detmers and Rodriguez can do to help next year.  

So buy and sell.