• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bullpen thoughts, approaching the quarter point of season

Iglesias - settling in after a rough beginning

Mayers - two bad appearances and otherwise the Mayers from 2020

Watson - excellent so far, good pitch counts

CRod - everything advertised, hoping the shoulder irritation is only that 

Slegers - not bad, not great, somewhat wild this month

Claudio - settling in nicely after a rough start

Guerra - a fine first 7 innings, but very mediocre past 14 innings

Cishek - WHIP over 2.00, time to DFA him?

I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the pen, overall, but I do think there are changes to be made and will be made in weeks ahead. 

A few days ago I dug in and for the most part, each guy has had one or two games where they blew it. In a ~30 game sample size, that can make for a really negative perception. It sucks that every guy has had 'that game' but they're just getting their turn in something that is going to happen. Iglesias and Guerra have really only 'blown' multiple games.

Guerra is a weak link but he is truly the only multiple inning guy they can trot out on a regular basis, and that's critical early in the year when weather is bad and starters aren't stretched out. Ohtani and Cobb's blister issues also highlight this need. They've also maintained their depth to this point which I think also proves more valuable in the long-run, even if it means we wind up holding onto Guerra or Cishek for too long. Noe or Barria can replace him in that role soon enough if he continues to struggle.

And it might have cost us a few games, but I'm hoping Maddon's bullpen usage plan so far through this part of the season was determining how and when he uses these guys, i.e. if Slegers or Rodriguez can be used in high lev, if Iglesias really can't hold a tied or trailing game, etc., and if it means the decision costs a couple games now, it could save him from relying on those pitchers in the same situation later in the year. 

5 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Let Rodriguez develop into a single inning entity for the rest of the season. Then next Spring, allow him ample time to get his pitch count up and join Detmers in the rotation. 

I’d continue to utilize him as he was before, 2-3 innings or 30-40 pitches max.    They already have Mayers and Iglesias to handle the bulk of late innings save opps.

That way, it won’t be as prolonged to stretch him out in a starter’s role next season.

10 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’d continue to utilize him as he was before, 2-3 innings or 30-40 pitches max.    They already have Mayers and Iglesias to handle the bulk of late innings save opps.

That way, it won’t be as prolonged to stretch him out in a starter’s role next season.

Honestly, I'd consider keeping both Rodriguez and Sandoval in the pen and utilize them as tandem starters paired with guys like Ohtani and whoever of Cobb, Canning, and Quintana are struggling the most. 

The Canning to Sandoval handoff the other day worked great. Suarez and Barria could be utilized similarly if things gel. Pena as well.

Gives everyone an extended look for potential rotation work next season too.

Edited by totdprods

It's better than last year but still not good enough. I don't immediately think the game is blown when we go to the pen, but I equally don't think it's a done deal if we're leading by 2 after the 7th. Iglesias gives me the heebie jeebies, he just doesn't seem to have many clean 1 -2 -3 innings in him like the very best relievers have. I wouldn't trust this group to go long in the post-season, but I think they might be just about good enough to get us there. Maybe. 

The Bullpen has not been bad as but people thing it is. There are a few nice pitchers in their that have had their ERA increased due to one or 2 bad outings. 

Like many have said, the Bullpen has been overused in April, So far in May the Rotation seemed to have turned a corner and the Defense is looking up, I can see much more improvements to BP. 

A few things;

1. Cishek, I over this guy. he flat out sucks and maddon has no clue that he sucks. I would say it's time to DFA him. personally I wouldn't mind calling up Noe and giving him a shot. thier similar type of pitchers, while Noe could be the better option.

2. Sandoval, I really like him in the Bp. I think his Command issue limit his upside on starting end, but with the mid to upper 90s fastball with his offspeed he should find sucess in the BP. 

3. Rodriguez, I'm actually going to go on a different route than what others have suggested. Personally I would take it really slow with him at the moment. I would put him in Low-A and basically start of slow and have him pitch about 15 pitches just to get him back and than slowly 30 to 40, and finally extend him upto 50-60 pitches in low A. I actually thing that the main reason, while he's go injured was that he wasn't fully strectched out.  I beleive The most pitches he threw in spring training, was around 25 and now he's up to the 40s. So let him increase his Stamina, and also this could be consider one of those 'fake-Innjury' Siutation. 

Maddon did have an interesting comment on Cishek after the game last night.  

"...Cishek again, listen I'm telling you results I don't care, the guy is throwing the ball really good and he is going to get hot very soon..."

My reaction was what the heck? How can he not care about the results?  You play the game to WIN.

11 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

"...Cishek again, listen I'm telling you results I don't care, the guy is throwing the ball really good and he is going to get hot very soon..."

My reaction was what the heck? How can he not care about the results?  You play the game to WIN.

Is Joe ignoring the 12 BBs in 11.1 innings?

14 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

I watched the same post game Slegnaac.  Maddon mentioned, "I don't care what the numbers say, don't pay attention to the numbers.  This guy is going to get hot very soon,"

Don't pay attention to the numbers?  Come on Joe.  Yes, we know you are the manager and you have to put lipstick on that pig, but seriously....the numbers are what they are.  He's going to get hot?  How?  He's got dogshit control, a mediocre fastball that is very hittable, and when he's not getting hit hard, he's allowing inherited runners to score.  

I'm not buying Maddon's spin cycle on him.  Let's just face it, he's not very good.

Are the Angels the place where all side arm pitchers come home to roost?

Edited by PattyD22