• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We really need Rendon back

Torridd

13 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Wouldn’t hurt if he brought a reliable relief pitcher with him.....

Mayers had a 0.91 ERA before being overused by Maddon, sure he shouldn't have thrown a 1-2 meatball but mistakes happen when over using relievers.  Pulling C-Rod when he hadn't given up a single hit was a mistake, Maddon needs to stop over managing and stick to the winning hands, this going against logic to look like a genius thing isn't working well.

If Mayers is being overused by being asked to get the last two outs of an inning after pitching the night before, the Angels are in deeper trouble than we think.  This is ridiculous.  You know what would help Mayers; throwing strikes in places other than the middle of the plate.

4 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Trout grounds out weakly with bases loaded.....I didn't realize Maddon gave him the sign to ground out weakly.

While I like the gist of this post as it relates to the manager not having control over a single at bat, Trout really doesn’t deserve criticism when you consider he has 5 hits over the last 2 games.  He can’t come through every time.  This was about Maddon over managing and going to a guy that threw 27 pitches the night before and taking out someone who was pitching well.  

Just now, Stradling said:

While I like the gist of this post as it relates to the manager not having control over a single at bat, Trout really doesn’t deserve criticism when you consider he has 5 hits over the last 2 games.  He can’t come through every time.  This was about Maddon over managing and going to a guy that threw 27 pitches the night before and taking out someone who was pitching well.  

What should Maddon do when in the same situation in September?  I'm certainly no expert, but maybe the way Mayer and other pitchers prepare for a similar position in September is to be placed in that position early in the season.  I simply disagree with Mayer being over used in April because he threw 27 pitches the night before.  Maybe Mayer is best utilized by giving him a day off, maybe he is streaky in how he pitching?  I just think April is more of a "find out what you got" time than anything else.  If this is what Mayer is, it is better to find out now than in September.

4 minutes ago, eligrba said:

What should Maddon do when in the same situation in September?  I'm certainly no expert, but maybe the way Mayer and other pitchers prepare for a similar position in September is to be placed in that position early in the season.  I simply disagree with Mayer being over used in April because he threw 27 pitches the night before.  Maybe Mayer is best utilized by giving him a day off, maybe he is streaky in how he pitching?  I just think April is more of a "find out what you got" time than anything else.  If this is what Mayer is, it is better to find out now than in September.

What should Maddon do in September?  Probably what he should have done today, leave Rodriguez in.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Go right ahead, I wouldn’t.

Players play the game and should be held mostly accountable.  I don't hold Maddon responsible for trying to protect Rodriguez's outing since he has little MLB experience and it is only April. Putting in a veteran to deal with a high leverage position makes sense.  Given the options, Mayer seemed like the best choice.  Mayer didn't get it done.

2 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

That last out that Trout made in today's game was at an exit velocity of over 100. It was hardly a weak grounder. 

Fine.....Trout hit a ball with an exit velocity of over 100 with bases loaded!!!! That's awesome!!!!

15 hours ago, sammyscioscia said:

Mayers had a 0.91 ERA before being overused by Maddon, sure he shouldn't have thrown a 1-2 meatball but mistakes happen when over using relievers.  Pulling C-Rod when he hadn't given up a single hit was a mistake, Maddon needs to stop over managing and stick to the winning hands, this going against logic to look like a genius thing isn't working well.

So the guy who had thrown 27 pitches the night before was tired but the guy who had thrown 41 already in that game wasnt?

The main thing I am trying to remind myself is that this is Joe’s MO, going back to his Tampa Bay days.

Use the early season to see what he has, and then adjust accordingly as the season progresses.

He has been successful with it.

My main concern is having Mayers pitch too many innings already.   Short 2020 season plus Mayers never pitching a lot of innings after 2017 = need to be cautious.

They need another late innings guy.

Edited by Angel Oracle

55 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Chris Rodriguez didn't show any signs of being tired yesterday and his stuff was still electric. 

41 pitches is a lot. And he was coming up to the heart of the order, 2 of 3 lefties, with a runner already on base. (Who Rodríguez had walked.)

Do you remember the previous time he pitched, in KC?

I honestly was surprised he even started the 8th. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

20 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

41 pitches is a lot. And he was coming up to the heart of the order, 2 of 3 lefties, with a runner already on base. (Who Rodríguez had walked.)

A manger taking out a reliever before he gets shelled?

My dad used to stop us kids all the time in what felt like the middle of having fun.

“OK you guys been doing this for almost two hours.  That’s enough.  Everybody off the trampoline.  Nobody is mad and nobody is hurt.  This is a good place to stop for exactly those reasons.”

4 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Maddon addressed this just now. He said he would have left him in if he'd gotten Solak, but when he walked him, he felt like he was struggling a little. Combine that with the fact that he was at the most pitches he'd thrown AND he had Mayers, who is very good on lefties, he went with Mayers.