• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What Happened To Los Angeles?

On 4/17/2021 at 3:35 PM, Dollar Bill said:

As part of the name change lawsuit filed by the city of Anaheim, the court ruled the Angels could sell gear with "Los Angeles."

Arte prefers to brand "the Angels" and the halo-A logo. He believed the Los Angeles name would help with national advertisers and marketers.

On 4/17/2021 at 3:55 PM, tdawg87 said:

Has it?

That's what I've been wondering for 15 years.

The Angels jumped through a LOT of hoops to change the name to "Los Angeles Angels".  Including one intermediary, legal-required, step of having the asinine name of "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" for a few years.

You can then tell me that Arte has decided that it makes sense to use the name "Los Angeles" for marketing nationally; and then ignore using it in Los Angeles.  Where his fans live.  People on this board say it makes sense to them.  It doesn't to me.  It sounds like the most ass-backward, fucked up marketing campaign I've ever heard.

57 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Every time YK jumps on his pedestal about this subject I have to laugh knowing he doesn't understand shit about local and National level imaging when working with the major advertising firms. That's fine, I'm sure he's pretty good doing spreadsheets and mowing lawns. 

And pretty good at some low-level retaliatory vandalism.

Anyways I know that the Angels' national profile is garbage.

And you guys have sniffed Arte's farts for so long, you think they smell like just-baked chocolate chip cookies out of the oven.

You can tell yourselves forever that Los Angeles Angels is such a great marketing name that it is invisible in Southern California.  Keep telling yourself how great it is.

On the business side of things, Arte is smart to push the "Angels" brand so it gives him options if he ever decided to move. Though now that he's tied into the renovations around the stadium for years to come I don't imagine a move from this location would make sense in his lifetime. Though I would never want to be compared to the "Raiders" or their fanbase, they are another franchise who's logo and team name are more recognized than whom their city is tied to. 

On 4/17/2021 at 11:38 AM, Puget Sound Angel said:

How many years did we deal with the "of Anaheim" crap so we could finally us the name Los Angeles and now we won't use it?

The name change was a bad decision. 

The ONLY thing they got "right" was not putting "Los Angeles" on the gear.

9 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

We don't play in LA and Arte was the only one that the team to be called  LA Angels, the rest of us hated the name.

I do hate the name LA Angels but unfortunately we're stuck with it. 

I don't have a say but if I did it would be the California Angels.  

A foreigner's view: The change from Anaheim Angels to LA Angels brought much more instant name recognition, whilst also bringing a certain glamour to the name by the association with LA. Nobody has heard of Anaheim over here (I had to look it up on a map when I started following the Angels in 2002) and LA conjures up images and associations of Hollywood, Beverley Hills, Sunset Boulevard, ideas of success, glamour and prosperity that simply aren't associated with the name Anaheim. This makes the team sound more glamorous and attractive to the casual observer and casual sports fan, and therefore makes the team a more enticing prospect for advertisers with a national and international reach. So purely from a marketing perspective it appears to benefit the franchise (the Pujols deal did a similar thing btw, it raised the consciousness of the Angels above that of the Angels fan base and into mainstream news whenever Albert chased another record). 

Having said all that, I still think it's a bit silly to the called the Angels Angels but there you go. California Angels would be my choice, but I guess the other Californian teams might object.

NB: We also associate Los Angeles with gridlock and drive-by shootings - which appears to be counter-intuitive at first glance, because how does one drive-by during gridlock? 

19 hours ago, Φαήλος said:

image.png

In this case one refers to a media market area, and the other to the team name, and the media market name is in Latin which makes it less redundant, so I'm not to bothered by that. What I believe is this: for an Anaheim Team or Orange County Team, "Los Angeles" isn't needed for people to make the  to connection the Los Angeles Media Market. However, Arte thought it was needed.  I identify the Anaheim Ducks (NHL) and the Orange County SC (USL) to be a Los Angeles Market Teams.